October 01, 2014, 06:38:08 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 review: If you don't own Canon, buy the Nikon D800  (Read 25634 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: 5D3 review: If you don't own Canon, buy the Nikon D800
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:59 AM »
My favourite shutter noise was on my Bronica ETRSi, whoooft! And you felt a wee breeze as well!

What I'd give for a VF that large and bright these days, although the effect wasn't as nice if you used the prism.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:59 AM »

Gulado

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2012, 04:25:44 AM »
If I weren't so heavily invested in Canon, I would buy the D800 in a heartbeat. I still feel a little butthurt having waited years for the 5D3 only to discover that they practically reused the 5D2 sensor in it.

I mean seriously, I'm sure they have a road map, didn't they think Sony would improve their sensors?  ???
Their reuse of sensor technology is getting very very old! Just look at the million and 1 cameras currently outfitted with the 18mp.

Anthony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »
Nikon will never reach the lens quality of Canon.
24-70 II is an example of perfection. Lenses do most of the Job. So keep going with Canon and don't be abused by Megapixel war. Canon is also preparing a large megapixel sensor.
This post is a troll.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2012, 06:06:21 AM »
@Gulado:

I fear you are missing something here. The reuse of sensor technology for example from 7D to xxD, xxxD cameras is not a bad thing, but good business sense: Avoiding senseless investments in R&D.

But the sensor in the 1D-X is not the same as in 7D nor is the sensor in the 5D Mark III the same as in the 5D Mark II. It has a slightly higher pixel count.

The thing is that Canon felt compelled not to increase pixel count, but rather invested in making the rest of the camera better. This is what many people have been telling for years: Don't worry about pixel count only. Usually I have heard this from people loving their Nikon cameras.

Nikon came from a different situation, where they found themselves being limited mostly to just 12 MP for many years. It is surprising how often this is simply ignored by people praising Sony sensors in Nikon cameras. Of course Nikon must try to make up for what they must have perceived as a problematic restriction in previous years, while Canon was free to develop their gapless fullframe sensors, which now provide better pictures at the same resolution (except in Neuro's previously stated circumstances).

Don't forget that as a company you are in real trouble regarding 3rd party dependencies in case you have to use key components such as sensors delivered as it is from a competitor. It does not matter here, if a generation of these sensors is especially good or not. This problem is much more severe.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:11:53 AM by AmbientLight »

Gulado

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
nor is the sensor in the 5D Mark III the same as in the 5D Mark II. It has a slightly higher pixel count.

It's not the same sensor. However, in use, it is very very close to being the exact same sensor, suspiciously close.  (I'm talking about RAW images of course, I don't care about jpg conversion or in-camera noise reduction)

Comparison: 5D Mark II vs 5D Mark III shootout: Portraits, studio, landscapes, wildlife, night, and HDR compared (he gets same result as everybody else, identical images but better AF on the 5D3 obviously)

Is it good business sense from Canon? I'm sure it is but I couldn't give a rats a**....

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:44:21 AM by Gulado »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
If I weren't so heavily invested in Canon, I would buy the D800 in a heartbeat. I still feel a little butthurt having waited years for the 5D3 only to discover that they practically reused the 5D2 sensor in it.

I mean seriously, I'm sure they have a road map, didn't they think Sony would improve their sensors?  ???
Their reuse of sensor technology is getting very very old! Just look at the million and 1 cameras currently outfitted with the 18mp.

On the otherhand, you can have people in the Nikon camp saying, "Geez if I wasn't so heavily invested in Nikon glass I would of bought a 5DIII.  I waited so long for a good all-round camera that has great AF, high ISO and 6 FPS.  All Nikon did was bump up the MP.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Gulado

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »
All Nikon did was bump up the MP.[/color]

I don't care so much for the higher mp count, even though it can be nice for cropping.
What I care about is raw (no phun intended) image quality. If I had the money for it, I would invest in a medium format system, but that's not gonna happen at the moment.

That Sony sensor that sits in the D800 is in my opinion a huge step in the right direction. The dynamic range is greater, the Nikon is able to capture much finer details and you can pull amazing shadow details from almost pitch black.
The only thing I would consider the 5D3 for, would be event shooting (but then I would more likely be looking at the 1DX) or if I were a videographer.

I'm gonna skip this generation of cameras, stick with my 5D2 and see what answer Canon has to the Sony sensor...surely something has to happen.

Edit*

Have a look at this comparison between the D800E and the medium format Pentax 645D...check out the conclusion at the end:

Nikon D800E Field Test with Nick Devlin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:13:56 PM by Gulado »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »
Hmmm in that video comparison I felt that there was a little more detail and sharpness in some of those 5DIII images compared to the MKII.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
How long will Canon play up it's superiority in lenses while neglecting Sensor R&D. First there was exmor form Sony, and now they have this patent, http://photorumors.com/2010/08/03/sony-patents-honeycomb-image-sensor/ ... havn't seen a whole lot from Canon on the base sensor tech... they keep playing with the same old stuff re-packaging it a bit...
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
How long will Canon play up it's superiority in lenses while neglecting Sensor R&D. First there was exmor form Sony, and now they have this patent, http://photorumors.com/2010/08/03/sony-patents-honeycomb-image-sensor/ ... havn't seen a whole lot from Canon on the base sensor tech... they keep playing with the same old stuff re-packaging it a bit...

Canon has to step it up a notch with their sensors and Nikon with their lenses.  6 of one and a half a dozen of the other.

Gulado

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
Hmmm in that video comparison I felt that there was a little more detail and sharpness in some of those 5DIII images compared to the MKII.

If that somehow makes you feel better about your $3000 purchase, then sure....

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »

If that somehow makes you feel better about your $3000 purchase, then sure....

Nothing about feeling better or worse, just what I seen.  ::)

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
What a load of crap.
Obviously a Nikon user who feels on top of the world because Nikon finally has a FF body with 1080p video - after 3+ years of the mkII already offering such an ability.

As for ergonomics - the Nikon has been designed better - really?? I wonder if they have tried changing things like, oh I don't know, ISO, drive mode, WB on the D800 without having to move your left hand from supporting the lens/body to reach the two finger lock/turn dial on the top of the camera.....? Ok, to be fair, only the drive mode would require holding the lock button, but any of those changes requires your left hand to initiate while holding up the camera and turn dials with your right.

Please... Fanboys should not be publicly suggesting purchase advice.
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:43 PM »
[[That Sony sensor that sits in the D800 is in my opinion a huge step in the right direction. The dynamic range is greater, the Nikon is able to capture much finer details and you can pull amazing shadow details from almost pitch black.]]

What exactly are you needing to pull from totally black shadows???
It amazes me still why anyone thinks there is a need to take pictures in the dark that look like they were exposed under daylight unless you are part of some surveillance team or a peeper trying to see into someone's house.

When you look at a scene it is literally the shadows and light that made it look interesting, made you want to capture the image.. Why the heck do you want to go back and pp all the shadows out of the image..

Don't get me wrong, there is a time/place for a dream like image where you can see into shadows as if light is coming from all directions at once - but that can be achieved through technique/exposure.
BTW, the D800 is only ~2 stop measurably higher than the mkIII at the sensor level - and both are more than capable of recovering a poorly exposed image. Dynamic range alone will not produce a good image, everything else is necessary as well (color, tone, SNR) and the 5DmkIII performs higher than the D800 in all of them.

It is unfortunate that the most common use for the 'higher' dynamic range of the D800 will be to recover an image - and in that respect one would simply need to improve their knowledge and technique instead of relying on a camera to produce the image they should have taken to begin with.
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
It is unfortunate that the most common use for the 'higher' dynamic range of the D800 will be to recover an image - and in that respect one would simply need to improve their knowledge and technique instead of relying on a camera to produce the image they should have taken to begin with.

You pretty much nailed 99% of these kinds of posts right there.

People rely way too much on Auto everything and Post processing, instead of learning the skills you used to have to learn (back in the film days).
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »