October 17, 2017, 05:05:04 PM

Author Topic: How good is the 7D autofocus system?  (Read 16233 times)

dr croubie

• Too many photos, too little time.
Re: How good is the 7D autofocus system?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »
That depends on what is your definition of "acceptable".
I've gotten 'acceptable' (to my eyes/needs) photos out of my 7D at iso3200. Sure, I got 'better' shots at the same gig with my mate's 5D2 at 3200, but for what I wanted, both the 7D and 5D2 were 'good enough', and the AF on the 7D was also working better than the 5D2.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

xopher

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:04 AM »
Haha no im not getting the 7D, im considering the 6D WITH the rumoured 7D autofocusing module.

Well from what you guys are saying... i might as well save pennies for the 5d3...

paul13walnut5

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:28 AM »
I have the 7D and when you hit the right settings the AF is excellent, the trouble is too much choice.

I've settled mainly on spot AF or single point AF with manual selection (tracking the subject in the VF with the cursor/joystick) in AiServo mode, which also works best with a little set up and practice.

I also tend to use bright lenses.  When AF performance is an issue you really need to give your camera (any canon EOS camera) as much light as possible, this means f2.8 or faster.   Yes some bodies work fine with f4 or f5.6 or even f8 lenses, but they all work better with f2.8 or faster lenses.

I have two lenses that I used for performance subjects, the f2.8 USM 70-200 and the f2.0 100mm.

The body is only half the story.

Re: Noise.. I tend to shoot RAW and apply a little luma NR and a little sharpening in post with my 7D and T3i.

I wouldn't use any higher than 3200 for stills except in a real emergency, and no higher than 800 for video.

I know that the FF and higher / more recent bodies do better in low light, but then they are a lot more money, except for the 5D2 which has other concessions.

I don't need camera that goes beyond these very high ISO settings, so I'm happy.
Also, being more interested in video, if it's too dark, I add light.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
Also, check the post just a couple topics down from this one if you want to review some of the science behind both AF systems.  According to Roger Cicala, the standard deviation performance of the 7D was the worst of all Canon bodies he tested (tied with the T3i).  As for the 5D3... well... it was the best:  http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras#more-8458

well i like roger.. but he has tested with one lens (28mm IS) and no tracking.
so you can´t say much about the overall AF perfomance from that test.

sure the 5D MK3 AF is better.. well it´s newer and the camera cost twice as much, so it better is.

and at the end he says something important:

Otherwise I might have put my trusty old 85mm f/1.8 on a 5D III and thought “not better at all, they’re lying to me again.”
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:56:16 AM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »