August 21, 2014, 06:21:43 PM

Author Topic: 1Dx desire (A cautious approach)  (Read 3179 times)

Heavyweight67

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
1Dx desire (A cautious approach)
« on: August 11, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »
First I'll qualify myself, "I am not a professional", "I'm just a guy who likes taking photos"...(hopefully that will ease the mind of the possible flamers)

About a year ago, like many people around the world I wandered into my local magazine shop for my free reading session; again like many I picked my favourite magazine and went straight to the centre-fold (even though I only buy it for the articles..)
There she was in all her glory Miss October 1Dx, with my heart racing and knees trembling, I replaced the magazine, so I could take one from the back ( I wanted a new untouched mag, one that no one had salivated on/breathed on; I wanted Miss October 1Dx pure).

I quickly paid and cautiously, I  tucked it into my Lowepro bag, slung my 7D over my shoulder and quickly wandered home, where I had the privacy to study every curve, every line, the beauty that was Miss October 1Dx.

Fast forward one year, I still fantasise about Miss 1Dx, but this fantasy was replaced with Miss 5D3, (not the beauty queen, but a great reliable girlfriend)..

I thought I had dealt with my fantasy and resigned to never seeing Miss 1Dx in person, all that changed in the last two weeks, where I have seen this beauty 3 times.

The first time she was draped over the shoulder of a tourist from the Netherlands, ( I followed him for a while until I worked up the courage to approach him and ask him how she handled, after a short conversation I realised I knew more about his mistress than he did; he was a camera Hugh Hefner, for him it was about having something beautiful hanging off his arm... quote..."I'm still not sure what all the buttons do, I only shoot JPEG, now I have to sell my 5D3 that is only 6 months old".

The second time I saw her was a week later, attached to the hand of a Chinese tourist, all dolled up and looking beautiful, 600 EX-RT attached, 16-35 ii fitted, but he was abusing her; quickly moving her left, then right, up, down, at times not even looking at her....surely somewhere the Point and Shoot police would approach him and take her away, surely a better home could be found for her.

Today was the third time, but this time she was in the hands of a professional (RRS L Plate fitted) shooting some fashion, this time she was being handled by a representative of her maker (a photographer employed by Canon)..

I stood and watched him work for a while, then approached him, I had to get his point of view...as beautiful as she is, what's she like to work with...

What I didn't expect was his honesty...I couldn't have an in depth conversation, due to his Japanese accent/Language barrier...but what I did understand was there are still a few problems that need to be fixed, ones that he had noticed as well as reports from colleagues shooting the Olympics.

Quote..." With Canon support and the reports from the Olympics, these problems should be fixed in the next 4 to 5 months"

As I walked away (not surprised as I look at the CR forum daily) I looked at his other gear, what I saw brought a smile to my face, there on a table was his second camera, a beaten up, well used 1Dii.

As beautiful as Miss 1Dx is, sometimes it's your old girlfriend that is the better reliable option..

Having been an early 5Diii adopter, I will now sit back and wait, NO I don't need a 1Dx .... But I really want one...

canon rumors FORUM

1Dx desire (A cautious approach)
« on: August 11, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 1Dx desire (A cautious approach)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:23:25 AM »
Careful what you wish for. Show me the prettiest girl in the world and I'll show you a man who grew fed up with her.

I could've waited for a 1D X but went for a 5D3 instead. No regrets. For less money than a 1D X I got the 5D3, 24-105, 17-40, Sigma 85 1.4 and a 32gb Extreme Pro card. Go for the one you know will make you happy rather than the one you think and hope will make you happy.

Could be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »
I'm still happy with my 5DMII, having resisted the whiles of the MKIII and 1DX. I savor the fact that I can buy a 3D - if they release one - in a heartbeat without struggling with the fact that I had just bought a MKIII or 1DX. If not, then I can wait a little longer and shop the MKIII deals if I want.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
I didn't fall for the first pretty and available one that came by this year. I held out for beautiful.  My 1D X is amazing, she handles like a dream. She's fast, although she's a bit loud when I hold down her button.  She loves it when I get her wet - and it doesn't slow her down at all.  Plus, she was perfect just the way I first saw her - she didn't require cosmetic surgery at the BG clinic to enhance the place I like to hold her.

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Joseph M

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
Having been an early 5Diii adopter, I will now sit back and wait, NO I don't need a 1Dx .... But I really want one...

I know that feel bro  ;) Except I was going between a 1Ds III and the 5D Mark III. I liked 1Ds III for the 1D for factor and ruggedness, I take care of my gear but I don't baby them, but thought that portability would be a problem.

The security guards around here in The Philippines already won't get off my back with my old gear  >:( (550D, gripless+25-105L), if I had a 1D in my hand I can forget about bringing it around for casual shooting.   

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
I'm not a pro either. And I have one. And a 5D MKIII, and a 7D...

Let me put it this way. Do we need the camera. No... Do the guy next door need that $100K custom made bike? Sure not, but he works his ass making the money and can have it and still send his kids to college and pay the mortgage? Sure.

Well... I can do that too and instead I enjoy cameras not bikes or boats...

Money is to be enjoyed while alive. If you can. Why not?
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »
I thought the 5d3 was all the camera I wanted, but in the back of my mind, I did remember what a 1-series is like to shoot...

And I think the 1d X is absolutely worth double the money, it doubles your chances of that one perfect moment!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »
For years, I have long held the view that extreme beauty is unattainable and there is often a sting in the tail. Beauty is expensive. Beauty only lasts so long. I took my time getting to know a lesser beauty, in the form of the 5D MkIII. I got to know as much about her as I could, before takinh the plunge, making sure she was the one for me. So far, I haven't been disappointed, she's responsive, without being flighty and loves it when it gets dark, when she really likes to have her button pressed. She's also very quiet when we need to be discreet. A match made in heaven.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »
I had a problem with my 70-200 f2.8 L IS II .. Long story short, I ended with my lens back, and a CPS loaner of the same lens to compare it to mine... So what a best moment than to compare side by side the 1DX and the 5DMKIII with the same glass under the same situations... And I can tell you, the 1D X does not double your chance to get the same shot, it triples it... Since its not only more frames per second, the autofocus is also more intelligent, and it also drives your lens faster. Did a series of test with my son running to me, of course I was able to get about 3 times more photos in the same time, because also the 1DX have more buffer so it's not only more frames per second, but more photos too. With the same 1000x card both, the 5D gives me about 28 photos before stall and then fall to about 3 FPS until I fill the card. The 1D X gives me about 59 shots until stall, then lowers the frame rate but have not measured yet to what, but feels faster than the 5D MKIII...

Also the autofocus of the 1DX is better tracking, much better. I can lock the point on my son face and will follow it, the 5D jumps all over the body and sometimes misses the whole thing.

It is noisier.. Yes... Like the 5D MKIiI silent mode better. The silent mode of the 1DX is a joke... CLACK!!!!!!! No silent at all. 

I can also feel it drives the focus faster on the 70-200 even the same lens on the 1DX body sounds different. Jump from closer focus to farther focus faster.

Etc etc etc  ;D ;D ;D
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
For years, I have long held the view that extreme beauty is unattainable and there is often a sting in the tail. Beauty is expensive. Beauty only lasts so long. I took my time getting to know a lesser beauty, in the form of the 5D MkIII. I got to know as much about her as I could, before takinh the plunge, making sure she was the one for me. So far, I haven't been disappointed, she's responsive, without being flighty and loves it when it gets dark, when she really likes to have her button pressed. She's also very quiet when we need to be discreet. A match made in heaven.

Vs. the 5D Mark III I cannot crop as much.  That's the only downside.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
I'm not a pro either. And I have one. And a 5D MKIII, and a 7D...

Let me put it this way. Do we need the camera. No... Do the guy next door need that $100K custom made bike? Sure not, but he works his ass making the money and can have it and still send his kids to college and pay the mortgage? Sure.

Well... I can do that too and instead I enjoy cameras not bikes or boats...

Money is to be enjoyed while alive. If you can. Why not?

+ 1  Exactly!  The only person you have to justify it to is yourself and maybe your spouse.

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »
the way I see it, is I base it off where I currently am in my career, (still studying for my BAA in photography) and then realize that I wont have the money for  a 1Dx and have money for food too XD But my plan is to purchase a mrk3 soon, and not because im settling for less, but because I do feel it will accommodate my needs. Not to mention, by the time I graduate and start moving forward more, so has technology, so investing in the best at such an early stage may not be the best.

regardless, im sure both cameras are amazing, and they share many things alike. So I wouldnt be disappointed, in comparison to my 40D XD
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »

Vs. the 5D Mark III I cannot crop as much.  That's the only downside.
Apart from cost :P. I'd certainly like the 1D X for wildlife, but it isn't really justifiable to my wallet. Perhaps one day I'll replace the 7D with the 1D MkIV, but probably by that time there will be some sort of replacement for the 7D.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

I did have a chance to test out 1D X from a friend. Both AF + fps makes my 5D III looks like a kid toy on race track in pomona CA.

For me....photography is just a hobby. Besides, my wife would kill me if she knows I spend $6000plus on the body. My conclusion: 5D III plus some L lenses are more than enough for a NEWBIE like me  ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »