April 20, 2014, 10:21:50 AM

Author Topic: Hoya Variable ND Filter - What's Happening?!  (Read 3581 times)

orioncroft

• PowerShot G16
  • Student • Photographer • Videographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
Hoya Variable ND Filter - What's Happening?!
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
Hello Everyone,

After many months frequenting this website, I decided to post.

I have been experimenting with slow shutter as of late and have two questions about ND Filters.

QUESTION 1: I am getting a weird effect with my ND Filter. Why? Examples below.

Here's what is used in these example photos: Canon 5D MKII, 24-70 F2.8L, Hoya Variable ND Filter,  Remote Controller.

First (Good) Photo Settings: 50mm, ISO160, F18, 0.5 Sec Shutter
Second (Bad) Photo Settings: 50mm, ISO160, F18, 30.0 Sec Shutter

It's obvious that it's something to do with the shutter speed ...but isn't that the point of an ND Filter? I want to take long exposures ...but every time I do, I get this weird blue smudge.

QUESTION 2: How do you expose properly with an ND Filter? The exposure meter does not get effected when I place an ND filter on ...So how do I compensate exposure accurately when I put the filter on?
Canon 5DII • 24-70 2.8L • 70-200 2.8L

Check Out My Facebook Page Here!

canon rumors FORUM

Hoya Variable ND Filter - What's Happening?!
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Hoya Variable ND Filter - What's Happening?!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
variable ND filters are two polarising filters stacked this cross effect happens at a certain point just around maximum strength on all of them. you should have a min and max mark on the filter this effect will happen around the max point just back it off a bit till it goes away. its not a problem with the filter.

to get exposure correct the in camera meter should still be fine with a variable ND since they are not too dark. just shoot manual and use the meter scalein  the vf
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »
It looks like the uneven polarization you get with a CPL and a wide angle lens (a variable ND is just stacked and crossed linear and circular polarizers - that issue is why I done have a variND).  The effect gets worse as the filter is darkened. I'm surprised to see it at 50mm, though, unless you've set it beyond the max marking.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »