July 30, 2014, 05:30:54 PM

Author Topic: Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"  (Read 11241 times)

Obaidey

Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
It seems that the only way to buy from this American company, is to buy directly
None on eBay and no dealers

Question 1: Is there a "cheaper" way, or a way to get a discount on new stuff?
Question 2: Are UK VAT and duties, a guaranteed consequence on all imports from them

I am intending to buy the TVC-24 Tripod with BH-40 LR Ballhead
I needed some other stuff from themWith other attachments
So, the bill kept mounting
Add to that over $100 shipping

The total amounted to just over £1000,, before VAT and Duties
Which gave me a sort of heart attack
Any advice?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:37:56 PM by Obaidey »

canon rumors FORUM

Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
They are a small company, very small, so there are no discounts.  Try buying used on ebay. 
You might be able to buy equally good or even better Markins Ball Head.  http://www.markinseurope.com/en/warranty.php
It might cost less if you can get it from Hong Kong, I don't know.

Orion

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
It seems that the only way to buy from this American company, is to buy directly

Question 2: Are UK VAT and duties, a guaranteed consequence on all imports from them

Any advice?

Thanks

Why do you need a $900 tripod? Please explain in detail, if you can. I want to know the rational behind such purchases. . . . nevermind the carbonfiber thingy, just tell why you have an urge to spend such for a tripod, unless you have a steady business that makes you hundreds a week or thousands a month, to even consider such a purchase where add-ons will cost you hundreds more.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »

Why do you need a $900 tripod? Please explain in detail, if you can. I want to know the rational behind such purchases. . . . nevermind the carbonfiber thingy, just tell why you have an urge to spend such for a tripod, unless you have a steady business that makes you hundreds a week or thousands a month, to even consider such a purchase where add-ons will cost you hundreds more.

Some spend $500 on a tripod and head, and then end up buying a good one later, so it ends up costing even more.  Many are happy with a lowcost tripod.  It depends.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Orion

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »

Some spend $500 on a tripod and head, and then end up buying a good one later, so it ends up costing even more.  Many are happy with a lowcost tripod.  It depends.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

yes, I understadn all that, but depending on what kind of photogrpaher you are and what your plans are, if you are having trouble spending $1000 for a tripod, no less, then certain questions pop up. . . one of them being can you really not get excellent use from a $500 tripod and head? We are talking about 1thou for a tripod, and this person is having a hard time trying to find a cheaper price becasue the current price seems to much (no S___!). If we are dealing with an amateur who simply loves photography, and does not have a lot of money to throw around, then we need to get some info to this person asap ;)

If this person happens to be a pro, and is making money and has a good reason for spending such money on a tripod, then it si moot discussion and, by all means, good luck purchasing one. Then you have to weigh the difference such s purchase will make to your photography, and after finally see that it was not necesary becasue, you can't tell the difference, and you are not using it on a mountain climb. I just did my first wedding, and plan on going to Iceland soon . . I'm not going to spend 1thou on a tripod. They speak of carbon fiber like it is the most difficult substance in the world to create in a factory. I've seen how they use it to make sailing masts for big ships. . . . I just am tired of companies ripping people off that have a passion for something, like this person obviously does.

btw, I spent almost 3thou on PCB einsteins and accessories. . . . and no way in hell am I going to spend 1000 on a tripod, no matter how many commercials you see on tv or ads in mags like NG. If you are having trouble spending 1000, then if you have to force yourself, use it to create, manipulate and take advantage of light, which is what photgrgraphy is all about.

I know I may sound harsh on a forum simply typing away here, but face to face it would be a trivial, and pleasant conversation amoung comrades with the same passion. computers have no passion or emotions and we are stuck guessing a person's demeanor, etc ;)

I really hope this person gets the tripod, though. It's just that there are some questions that need to be asked on a forum, where you have no clue about the other person.

scarbo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Why is it necessary for him to explain himself and why exactly does he have to justify his purchases to you?  You don't have to own a business to want to purchase and use quality products. You often hear it said that a quality tripod will last you for life, but going the cheap route will only result in you having to buy a better tripod later.

In any case, one of my pet peeves with some of these photography forums is the barrage of posts one can typically expect asking individuals to justify their purchases when they want to spend a lot of money on products. Who the hell cares? It's their money, let people spend their own money as they choose to without harassing them and asking for an explanation.

scarbo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »

Any advice?

Thanks

You're probably not going to be able to avoid the tax unfortunately.

Before you go with RRS, you should also consider the Induro carbon fibre tripods. You can purchase them via Amazon UK, they look pretty good and are more reasonably priced without appearing to compromise on quality and functionality.

InduroCarbon8xTripodC-413.mov Small | Large

http://www.indurogear.com/main/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?bbn=1104388&qid=1344818520&rh=n%3A560798%2Cn%3A!560800%2Cn%3A560834%2Cn%3A1104388%2Cp_4%3AInduro&sort=-price
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:22:22 PM by scarbo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »

Orion

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »

Why is it necessary for him to explain himself and why exactly does he have to justify his purchases to you?  You don't have to own a business to want to purchase and use quality products. You often hear it said that a quality tripod will last you for life, but going the cheap route will only result in you having to buy a better tripod later.

In any case, one of my pet peeves with some of these photography forums is the barrage of posts one can typically expect asking individuals to justify their purchases when they want to spend a lot of money on products. Who the hell cares? It's their money, let people spend their own money as they choose to without harassing them and asking for an explanation.

but he/she is asking US . . .

and if we are to spend our time giving advice and searching for better offers to help out, then since we are ona  forum, and NOT in Afhganistan, I figure why not ask a few questin . . . while we are all here, and not have another thread tuirn out to be so bland as , " hey please help me spend less on a $1000 tripod, becasue I did not give any details or info."

get in line bud. 

P.S "harassing" . . geez . . . try reading my post again . . just in case that "harassing" remark is pointed at me too. . .just in case. I am sooo sick and tried of posters such as yourself trying thier best to make an issue. get real!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:24:47 PM by Orion »

scarbo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »

and if we are to spend our time giving advice and searching for better offers to help out, then since we are ona  forum, and NOT in Afhganistan, I figure why not ask a few questin . . . while we are all here, and not have another thread tuirn out to be so bland as , " hey please help me spend less on a $1000 tripod, becasue I did not give any details or info."

get in line bud.

You can do this without asking people to explain themselves like they're children, see my post above. All he wanted to know was if there was a way to get RRS products without the tax premiums.

I've found too often on these forums that when people ask straight forward questions about their purchases, they often end up getting into big discussions and sometimes fights having to justify them to strangers. I don't think your questioning would have served any purpose in helping you answer his question.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:40:31 PM by scarbo »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »

You can do this without asking people to explain themselves like they're children, see my post above. All he wanted to know was if there was a way to get RRS products without the tax premiums.

I've found too often on these forums that when people ask straight forward questions about their purchases, they often end up getting into big discussions and sometimes fights having to justify them to strangers. I don't think your questioning would have served any purpose in helping you answer his question.
+1

Demanding to know how he can justify purchase of the item is not helpful at all.  He is looking for a product that most good photographers either own or want to own.
I went the cheap way with a decent and relatively sturdy Manfroto set of legs and ball head, and had to dump them all when they would not hold my long (non is) lens stable enough to get sharp images.  Even with mirror locked and remote release, if a tripod is not absoutely stable when you use it, you wasted your money.
Its not uncommon for some to blame their lens, not having a clue as to how important a good tripod is. 

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »
Ebay - got a great deal there on an RRS plate for more than 70% off the retail price of a use item (1dm2 L plate).

Craigslist (USA) is also useful, but I know that doesn't help you.

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:24 AM »
Why cant you spend $900 on a tripod?? After all, you may save 3,4 hundred $ compare to other CF tripods such as benro,feisol, manfr...
if you're using the tripod once every week or so, the purchase is debatable. But considering weekly uses, those few $$$ extra is well worthed.
Serious tripod user with close/details comparision between CF companies will find Gitzo, RRS are the best. (yes, those minors detail are important and worth extra $$$)

To Obaidey: must it be Brandnew? if not, try Fredmiranda.com
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:12:07 AM by vuilang »

Orion

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »

get in line bud.

I am astonished that you still have failed to realize my point . . and that you obviously do not understand (reading comprehension?).

I mentioned the fact that since he intends to spend 1000 pon a tripod, that it would be good to know what type of photographer he is, since he ALSO finds the price a BIT too high. I mentioned how the companies take advantage of overpriced merchandise to take advantage of people LIKE HIM (ie. people with a passion). I also mentioned how TO ME it is important to know exactly WHY he intends to spend so much money on a tripod, DEPENDING on the type of photographer HE/SHE is. FINALLY, I also menitoned how I wish he is able to get this tripod.

Now, no matter what he is asking and what you may think and how many "+1" Mt Spokane will give you, you need to go and get some learning comprehension tips, before you acuse anybody of any negativ thing. Pretend we were at a casual location setting and we were just talking and you could see my demeanour. . . your reading comprehension problems would not show up.

Have a good night people. Pray for peace in this world . . . god help- us!

Why cant you spend $900 on a tripod?? After all, you may save 3,4 hundred $ compare to other CF tripods such as benro,feisol, manfr...
if you're using the tripod once every week or so, the purchase is debatable. But considering weekly uses, those few $$$ extra is well worthed.
Serious tripod user with close/details comparision between CF companies will find Gitzo, RRS are the best. (yes, those minors detail are important and worth extra $$$)

This is what I mean about reading comprehension problems on most forums, as I also mentioned that aspect too, about actually having a use for it, etc, making it a worthwhile purchase for him with that amount of money even. . . .

nevermind, anyway. I got nothing against anybody . . unlike some people who mistakingly acuse . . MAYBE through no fault of their own. It's alright people . . I am wrong and you are right, I was harassing . . yup!

Thank god we have forums where it is a sin to make conversation to spark debate and discussion , inste4ad of having another, "where can I get it for cheaper . . . ebay!?" threads.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:46:56 AM by Orion »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »

freezehead

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 04:09:58 AM »

get in line bud.

I am astonished that you still have failed to realize my point . . and that you obviously do not understand (reading comprehension?).

I mentioned the fact that since he intends to spend 1000 pon a tripod, that it would be good to know what type of photographer he is, since he ALSO finds the price a BIT too high. I mentioned how the companies take advantage of overpriced merchandise to take advantage of people LIKE HIM (ie. people with a passion). I also mentioned how TO ME it is important to know exactly WHY he intends to spend so much money on a tripod, DEPENDING on the type of photographer HE/SHE is. FINALLY, I also menitoned how I wish he is able to get this tripod.

Now, no matter what he is asking and what you may think and how many "+1" Mt Spokane will give you, you need to go and get some learning comprehension tips, before you acuse anybody of any negativ thing. Pretend we were at a casual location setting and we were just talking and you could see my demeanour. . . your reading comprehension problems would not show up.

Have a good night people. Pray for peace in this world . . . god help- us!

This is what I mean about reading comprehension problems on most forums, as I also mentioned that aspect too, about actually having a use for it, etc, making it a worthwhile purchase for him with that amount of money even. . . .

nevermind, anyway. I got nothing against anybody . . unlike some people who mistakingly acuse . . MAYBE through no fault of their own. It's alright people . . I am wrong and you are right, I was harassing . . yup!

Thank god we have forums where it is a sin to make conversation to spark debate and discussion , inste4ad of having another, "where can I get it for cheaper . . . ebay!?" threads.
Well, I guess just because of the way you answered the OP that make other people feel non-sense. You could just answer the OP with good information and then ask he/she why would he want to buy such an expensive tripod than jumping in and ask them why they need to buy s.t. That's their business, not yours, if you want to help, they'll appreciate you but don't ask them some question like tell me why you buy that and I will tell you the answer :))

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:07 AM »
Wow this thread went a bit trolltastic.

I live in the UK and own a RRS BH-55 ballhead. Import duty is a bitch but it doesn't get much better than this tripod head.

However, the import premium on the RRS tripod legs, in my opinion, is not worth it. Get Gitzo legs instead, like I did, and save yourself perhaps 400 quid. Gitzo legs have been industry leaders for a very long time, you will not be disappointed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:07 AM »