August 30, 2014, 10:18:26 AM

Author Topic: Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"  (Read 11625 times)

Gothmoth

Re: Is there a cheaper way to buy from "REALLY RIGHT STUFF"
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:56 AM »
Why do you need a $900 tripod? Please explain in detail, if you can

lazy people will never understand the real value of a tripod.  ;)
they will always ask "why pay hundreds of euro for a thing that´s so cumbersome".

but probably a better tripod... or a tripod at all... would inrease the image quality of their pictures more then a new camera or a dozend lens tests.

a tripod is (imo) still a critical piece for BEST image quality, especially when doing landscape shots. for some shots a tripod is simply a must have.

buy a cheap tripod and you probably will not be happy with it and never use it.
buy cheap and you will buy another one soon or never use a tripod again.

a good gitzo can last 10-20 years without a problem.
for such a long time 800 euro are not that much.. compared to a digital SLR camera.

but the best tripod is worth less with a bad ballhead.
RRS makeing the best ballheads and they will last for a long time.

sure they are expensive... but every time i use one of the cheaper ballheads i immediately see why the RRS ballheads cost so much more.

i sell a lot of sirui ballheads lately. they are not bad for the price.
but the RRS are so much more precise to work with. for me this is easily worth the 350 euro price difference.

a gitzo tripod and an RRS ballhead is an investment that will last much longer then a 5D MK3 purchase.... ;)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:56:43 AM by Gothmoth »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:56 AM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »
I wonder again how photographers in the past were able to take amazing shots with crappy cameras and tripods compared to what we have today :P Imho the photographer makes the photo not the camera...

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
I wonder again how photographers in the past were able to take amazing shots with crappy cameras and tripods compared to what we have today :P Imho the photographer makes the photo not the camera...

+1
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Gothmoth

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
Imho the photographer makes the photo not the camera...

what a great statement i NEVER heard that before.. how do you come to such wisdom?
im allowed to quote this "never heard before" wisdom?

and im guessing your using a 10D ....

yawn....

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 09:08:24 AM »
seems like i hit a sensitive spot  :o

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
This post is out of control. All the OP wants to know is if he can get the tripod for less than what he found. That's not a crime. I don't care if you're a professional, amateour, hobbyist, rich, poor, you should still be looking for the best deal. No one wants to feel like they spent more money than they have too. The OP didn't ask our advice on what tripod to purchase or if his financial situation and income justify the purchase. He's just looking to save a buck. Let's all take a deep breathe and answer the man's question.
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
It seems that the only way to buy from this American company, is to buy directly
None on eBay and no dealers

Question 1: Is there a "cheaper" way, or a way to get a discount on new stuff?
Question 2: Are UK VAT and duties, a guaranteed consequence on all imports from them

I am intending to buy the TVC-24 Tripod with BH-40 LR Ballhead
I needed some other stuff from themWith other attachments
So, the bill kept mounting
Add to that over $100 shipping

The total amounted to just over £1000,, before VAT and Duties
Which gave me a sort of heart attack
Any advice?

Thanks

Why would you think that buying indirectly, and paying for one or more middle men to take their profits on top of the original selling price, could somehow be cheaper than buying direct?

If you want to save money, buy a Gitzo tripod and Arca-Swiss ball head - they are much better quality and cost less (and also weigh less...)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:04:27 AM by rumorzmonger »
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
This post is out of control. All the OP wants to know is if he can get the tripod for less than what he found. That's not a crime. I don't care if you're a professional, amateur, hobbyist, rich, poor, you should still be looking for the best deal. No one wants to feel like they spent more money than they have too. The OP didn't ask our advice on what tripod to purchase or if his financial situation and income justify the purchase. He's just looking to save a buck. Let's all take a deep breathe and answer the man's question.

+1 or more. The poor guy/gal asked a simple question. No need to berate him/her for that. I did a quick internet check. Doesn't appear to be any likelihood of scoring a discount. In fact their website says point-blank they don't give discounts (even for members of professional organizations).
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Why would you think that buying indirectly, and paying for one or more middle men to take their profits on top of the original selling price, could somehow be cheaper than buying direct?

Because sometimes there is - for example, Adorama has an eBay storefront that offers new items, shipped by them, for much less than their regular online store. 

If you want to save money, buy a Gitzo tripod and Arca-Swiss ball head - they are much better quality...

That's a debate best left for another thread. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

KitsVancouver

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

These comments are so misleading and completely out of context. 

First of all, if you didn't think gear made a difference, you wouldn't be on this forum reading about gear and to some extent, gear that doesn't even exist!  So if you really believed your statement, you'd be out taking pictures instead of reading a rumours forum. 

I love the post about the 10D.  If the camera doesn't matter, then everyone would be using a 10D or their iPhones.  I watched a lot of Olympics and didn't see one photographer with an iPhone or a Rebel or a 10D.  The camera matters and that's a fact, so you're trite remark is misleading to anyone who is doing research on a forum. 

Lastly, the comment that a great camera won't help a crappy photographer is also misleading.  Assuming, the user knows how to turn on the camera and even use it on auto, even if his composition is poor, a better camera is going to give him a better quality file.  That's fact.  It might look like crap and it might be poorly exposed, but with a better camera, he's going to have a better file to work with and a better file to pass on to his kids (if he chooses). 

I can't believe how many people state that gear doesn't matter.  The irony is that many of these people post on gear forums so it's clear they believe gear matters.  Either that or they like to waste their time I suppose. 

People are allowed to buy whatever they want.  If the OP wants to spend a grand on a tripod, he's allowed to and doesn't need anyone to lecture him. 

To the OP: I've seen RRS gear used in on the B&H used site.  I don't know if it ends up cheaper, but it's worth giving it a look.  Also, take a look at the various market sites on message boards.  That's if you don't mind buying used. 

woollybear

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »
I would think that if only the very best use the very best, then no one would make the very best because there are so few of the very best...I'm sure someone can say this better, but hopefully you get my point...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »