December 20, 2014, 06:28:40 PM

Author Topic: To CPS or not to CPS...That is the question  (Read 5912 times)

jmanley

To CPS or not to CPS...That is the question
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »
I'm just wondering what others experience is with Canon Professional Services (CPS)?  I will start out with the fact that I "qualify" for all three levels of membership.  I'm just wondering if the $500 price tag is worth the platinum membership.  I take very good care of my gear, but I know things can happen. 

Thoughts?  Who has joined/renewed recently?  What are the freebies ;) (I know you pay a bunch of money to get free stuff but you know what I mean)

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

To CPS or not to CPS...That is the question
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: To CPS or not to CPS...That is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »
I'm interested in this discussion, too.

I'm thinking of going with Platinum, but mainly for the extra CLR coupons for some gear I'm planning on selling and because I'm not looking forward to the hassle of shipping the 400 for the firmware fix.

b&

DCM1024

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »
I recently joined as a gold member, would have trouble justifying the platinum membership but am also interested in hearing what others have to say.

To me, the advantages have been: the strap (love it and bought a second strap and the two camera harness from Op/Tech). The hotline, free clean and check coupons which I will take advantage of during our off season. I really haven't had a chance to go in depth with the other materials that were provided.

Disadvantages: Tried to get a 5d3 loan and was told Canon wouldn't have one available until mid-October. We will be adding another body and are trying to decide between another 5d2 and the 5d3. In fairness, I made the request just as the Olympics were coming up, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I also am planning to purchase additional lenses, so will try again.

I feel the gold membership is worthwhile and would join again.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
I highly recommend CPS membership. It gives me a little peace of mind.
I just sent in my 1Ds III for a clean & check. I was considering selling it and wanted a clean bill of health from Canon and documentation of the current shutter count.
I noticed a glare along one edge of a handful of recent images (maybe 10 out of a shoot of 400) shot at higher shutter speeds. I asked CPS to check it out.
They got back to me to say that the shutter was not functioning properly. They replaced the shutter on an out of warranty 1Ds III for under $100. The Canon paperwork states my shutter actuation count is 0.
I'm very satisfied with the outcome and the speed of their work. They received my camera last Monday and had it back in my hands on Thursday.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
"Canon Professional Services (CPS) provides exceptional benefits for individual full-time imaging professionals. CPS members receive exclusive phone and e-mail support, expedited and discounted services and repairs, equipment evaluation loans, service loans, on-site support at select events and shows, plus discounts on Canon Live Learning workshops, and more"

Assuming you use the equipment every day, and have several bodies and many lenses, the $500 is nothing compared to the savings in turn around time, repair costs, and the use of a loaner if a repair cannot be quickly completed.
If you are not using your equipment daily, or only have one or two bodies,  I'd use the gold level. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:48:12 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
Yes. CPS is worth the $$$. They even send you a neat book with valuable info. 8)

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
I'm just wondering what others experience is with Canon Professional Services (CPS)?  I will start out with the fact that I "qualify" for all three levels of membership.  I'm just wondering if the $500 price tag is worth the platinum membership.  I take very good care of my gear, but I know things can happen. 

Thoughts?  Who has joined/renewed recently?  What are the freebies ;) (I know you pay a bunch of money to get free stuff but you know what I mean)

Thanks

Well, not that this matters much, but are you a pro?  If so yes.  If not, it's not as worthwhile unless you are shooting a ton of events/stuff.  Then when something goes wrong you can send it in for free.  The $500 Platinum?  Ahhh, no, I just did the $100 Gold.  That's plenty for me.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

jmanley

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
Well, not that this matters much, but are you a pro? 

I am.  Mostly weddings.  I've seen the videos of photogs backpeddling into fountains and dropping gear off of a balcony.  I try to avoid that stuff but things happen.  ;)

I have seen a number of ThinkTank photo CPS bags out there, do those come with the platinum membership?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
I'd definitely get it, even if just at the Gold level. I'm just used it as a member for the first time, dropped my 5d2 and cracked the upper right corner. Sent it in, they got it Thursday morning, I had it back in my hands Monday (I live in LA, so nearish the Irvine facility). It was covered by my insurance rider, but the cost savings would have paid for the Gold membership fee then and there.

I also have the 24mm TS & 100mm Macro lens coming for evaluation today or tomorrow. Nice perk! :)

Not quite as sure if the the Platinum level would be worthwhile for you, doubt it would be for me, but definitely Gold.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »

I am.  Mostly weddings.  I've seen the videos of photogs backpeddling into fountains and dropping gear off of a balcony.  I try to avoid that stuff but things happen.  ;)

I have seen a number of ThinkTank photo CPS bags out there, do those come with the platinum membership?
The gifts come with new memberships, but not with renewals.  They don't define the new member gift.  In your situation, a Gold membership plus insurance on your equipment might be a good way to go.  Even with a platinum membership, insurance is needed.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
if you have enough equipment it is good. the 6 cleaning coupons they give you per year saves you more than the $500 it cost if you use them, plus 60% discount in fixes, and 2 days turn around.... and when they say two days, it is really two days... I needed to have my 5D MKII flash shoe replaces (which is the whole top of the camera) and without the discount would been like $250 plus like $100 for a cleaning...

you can get loaners with priority, I'm pretty happy with it....

1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »

Then YES.  Get at least the Gold Membership.  I have that and they mail you a sheet of mailing labels to send your stuff in.  It's great.  Platinum is better b/c you get free loaners.  Both have 24/7 support for free.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »
You get free loaners with Gold as well... I rented a 300 f/2.8 IS last year for free (just return shipping you pay) and I am renting a 8-15L for my trip next week. Lens arrives Wednesday.

CPS Gold is fantastic... Any repairs I have done to NJ have been back to me the same week. Super fast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

gary samples

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
I'm a gold member love it sending suff in one time will pay for it self

Richard Lane

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
I have the Gold membership and I love it! 

You can always upgrade to Platinum if the Gold doesn't meet your needs.  As mentioned, the gold has, two included clean and checks, 30% off repairs with quick turn-around, loaner equipment, a cool CPS neck strap, and VIP service.

Highly recommended!

Rich

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »