Image & Video Galleries > 1D X Sample Images

Battle of Williamsburg re-enactment

(1/3) > >>

Chewy734:
I shot these last Saturday handheld on my 1D X, exclusively with the 70-200mm f/4L IS.

A couple comments from my experiences with the 1D X this weekend:

First, the higher frames per second helped a lot. If I timed everything in the ballpark of when the troops were going to fire, and I just held down my shutter button, I couldn't miss it. Yeah, it goes by the generally negatively-viewed method of "spray and pray", but you know what? Sometimes you need it. The 12 fps didn't disappoint at all. Additionally, the buffer was large enough to take a lot of consecutive RAW shots and store them on my memory card without any buffering delays.

Second, I was pretty under-exposed in some shots, but I was able to bring out the shadows in their clothing, for example, with ease. The RAW files allow me quite a bit of latitude during post-processing to overcome my mistakes while shooting.  Overall, I was pleasantly surprised that the metering was quite good, especially in situations where I needed speed and accuracy, and exposure was an afterthought.

Third, the sharpness was very good considering I shot many of these photos handheld at 200mm, and some are shown at a 100% crop!

Fourth, it was raining most of the day. I was there for several hours shooting in the rain, without an umbrella or a plastic bag around the camera. I had a hood protecting the lens, but that was it. The 1D X performed very well through the inclement weather, and I wasn't worried at all about the wetness.

Anyways, thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed these photos! :)

Mt Spokane Photography:
Thanks for posting.  We have a local civil war re-enactment every year, but I've never managed to attend. 

I haven't done much photography this summer, I injured my back and have also developed carpal tunnel so that I can't hold my 1D MK IV with a big lens without pain.  I'm hoping to get it resolved, but its slow progress.

Chewy734:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on August 13, 2012, 04:12:52 PM ---Thanks for posting.  We have a local civil war re-enactment every year, but I've never managed to attend. 

I haven't done much photography this summer, I injured my back and have also developed carpal tunnel so that I can't hold my 1D MK IV with a big lens without pain.  I'm hoping to get it resolved, but its slow progress.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  That sucks you injured yourself... how did that happen?  I hope you get better soon.

Rat:

--- Quote from: Chewy734 on August 13, 2012, 04:02:47 PM ---Anyways, thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed these photos! :)

--- End quote ---
I'm sorry to report these are the slowest loading pictures I've seen in years. I get a few lines of pixels (literally) if I wait for 10-20 minutes. Could you give us a taste by uploading some images to a fast server, like cr's or flickr or something? 's 'cause I'm lotsa curious ;)

Chewy734:

--- Quote from: Rat on August 13, 2012, 06:34:40 PM ---I'm sorry to report these are the slowest loading pictures I've seen in years. I get a few lines of pixels (literally) if I wait for 10-20 minutes. Could you give us a taste by uploading some images to a fast server, like cr's or flickr or something? 's 'cause I'm lotsa curious ;)

--- End quote ---

Hmm...  interesting.  It's loading slow for me as well.  Earlier today it was really fast, so I wonder if something is going on with my hosting server.  Sorry about its slowness right now...  my hope is that it's temporary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version