April 17, 2014, 09:12:05 PM

Author Topic: Battle of Williamsburg re-enactment  (Read 6414 times)

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Battle of Williamsburg re-enactment
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
I shot these last Saturday handheld on my 1D X, exclusively with the 70-200mm f/4L IS.

A couple comments from my experiences with the 1D X this weekend:

First, the higher frames per second helped a lot. If I timed everything in the ballpark of when the troops were going to fire, and I just held down my shutter button, I couldn't miss it. Yeah, it goes by the generally negatively-viewed method of "spray and pray", but you know what? Sometimes you need it. The 12 fps didn't disappoint at all. Additionally, the buffer was large enough to take a lot of consecutive RAW shots and store them on my memory card without any buffering delays.

Second, I was pretty under-exposed in some shots, but I was able to bring out the shadows in their clothing, for example, with ease. The RAW files allow me quite a bit of latitude during post-processing to overcome my mistakes while shooting.  Overall, I was pleasantly surprised that the metering was quite good, especially in situations where I needed speed and accuracy, and exposure was an afterthought.

Third, the sharpness was very good considering I shot many of these photos handheld at 200mm, and some are shown at a 100% crop!

Fourth, it was raining most of the day. I was there for several hours shooting in the rain, without an umbrella or a plastic bag around the camera. I had a hood protecting the lens, but that was it. The 1D X performed very well through the inclement weather, and I wasn't worried at all about the wetness.

Anyways, thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed these photos! :)

canon rumors FORUM

Battle of Williamsburg re-enactment
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Williamsburg re-enactment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
Thanks for posting.  We have a local civil war re-enactment every year, but I've never managed to attend. 

I haven't done much photography this summer, I injured my back and have also developed carpal tunnel so that I can't hold my 1D MK IV with a big lens without pain.  I'm hoping to get it resolved, but its slow progress.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Thanks for posting.  We have a local civil war re-enactment every year, but I've never managed to attend. 

I haven't done much photography this summer, I injured my back and have also developed carpal tunnel so that I can't hold my 1D MK IV with a big lens without pain.  I'm hoping to get it resolved, but its slow progress.

Thanks!  That sucks you injured yourself... how did that happen?  I hope you get better soon.

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »
Anyways, thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed these photos! :)
I'm sorry to report these are the slowest loading pictures I've seen in years. I get a few lines of pixels (literally) if I wait for 10-20 minutes. Could you give us a taste by uploading some images to a fast server, like cr's or flickr or something? 's 'cause I'm lotsa curious ;)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
I'm sorry to report these are the slowest loading pictures I've seen in years. I get a few lines of pixels (literally) if I wait for 10-20 minutes. Could you give us a taste by uploading some images to a fast server, like cr's or flickr or something? 's 'cause I'm lotsa curious ;)

Hmm...  interesting.  It's loading slow for me as well.  Earlier today it was really fast, so I wonder if something is going on with my hosting server.  Sorry about its slowness right now...  my hope is that it's temporary.

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
Hmm...  interesting.  It's loading slow for me as well.  Earlier today it was really fast, so I wonder if something is going on with my hosting server.  Sorry about its slowness right now...  my hope is that it's temporary.
I'll kerb my curiosity for now and help hoping it's temporary - alternatively, check out the 'attachments and other options' button you get when you hit the preview button :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
hmm... these photos loaded pretty fast for me.

Interesting pics!
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »

Yes, it took forever to load them, sometimes its better to just post a link rather than making us all wait five minutes for them to download.
Thats why CR asks that a maximum of 4 images be hotlinked.

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography link=topic=8632.msg156838#msg156838
Oh dear! Hope you recover soon.

gary samples

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
would love to see some shots in B&W

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »
Nos. 12 and 13 are pretty good, especially the sergeant (?) with his tin of food. They have a distinct sense of occasion, they can take you back to the day, as it were. Others are a little too clean, too distanced for my taste. Even then, the first image of the southerners firing their gun is an pretty impressive tableau, if nothing else :)

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I was too far from the battle it seems.  I wish I brought my 100-400mm that day... oh well.

Here's one in B&W, but it wasn't during the Civil War re-enactment, rather a D-Day one last weekend:

Canon 1D X, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
400mm, f/5.6, 1/2000s, ISO 400, Av, RAW

WightmanMedia

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
I really like the photos you got here! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »