2 (5.1%)
I don't think it has improved over time
6 (15.4%)
I don't use flickr anymore
10 (25.6%)
I have never used flickr
16 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Other photography websites...  (Read 3396 times)

paul13walnut5

Other photography websites...
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »
Life after flickr?

Recently flickr seems to be really stale, a lot of my groups are very very quiet and a lot of once familiar users haven't uploaded in months.

Has anybody else noticed that?  Where have they all went?  I liked the groups feature and tagging etc in flickr, but didn't like the clumsy interaction.   The group here is much more vibrant, knowlegable yet discussions more viceral, opinionated, less 'chummy' (a good thing in a way, everything on flickr was 'great' 'super' etc

Thoughts?  My pro membership lapses soon and I'm really not of a mind to renew.

canon rumors FORUM

Other photography websites...
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Other photography websites...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
500px.com isn't too bad, not as much variety as flickr though.

I think it's mostly due to Yahoo just letting it languish, and not doing much to keep it fresh. Plus I think a lot has moved to facebook, etc. Hopefully with the new CEO at yahoo, they can maybe breath a little life back into flickr.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:43:57 AM by mws »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Yeah, it's great for seeing other's work, but, not so much for discussion. Still a cool site, but I agree that its not gonna replace that aspect of Flickr

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
It's the sign of the time... people realized that the market after Flickr is still the same, odds of making money same, same people in the game, and hoopla on sites as Flickr don't really mean anything but hoopla, and in order to make some money you have to go and shoot weddings or pets or children in the neighborhood, not exactly glamorous photography work, so they are loosing interest.
I think this is the reason why Canon is in trouble, lack of understanding that 80% of 5D II buyers were amateurs living mirage of "FAME" on internet sites like Flickr, shelling thousands of dollars for semi pro cameras and lenses.
Well the dust is finally settling down after the digital explosion, now we will see whats next.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:11:49 PM by Sunnystate »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
It's the sign of the time... people realized that the market after Flickr is still the same, odds of making money same, same people in the game, and hoopla on sites as Flickr don't really mean anything but hoopla, and in order to make some money you have to go and shoot weddings or pets or children in the neighborhood, not exactly glamorous photography work, so they are loosing interest.
I think this is the reason why Canon is in trouble, lack of understanding that 80% of 5D II buyers were amateurs living mirage of "FAME" on internet sites like Flickr, shelling thousands of dollars for semi pro cameras and lenses.
Well the dust is finally settling down after the digital explosion, now we will see whats next.
How does your rant relate to the questions by the OP? 
What does the OP's question have to do with making money?
Why do you think Canon is in trouble.?  Any evidence? ... like losing market share?
Flickr is a image sharing site, it does not claim to be making money for photographers.  It has certainnly, however, changed the way people display and share images, and provided a channel for communication between photographers.
I no longer use it, but my wife and relatives do.  It suits the needs of many millions of photographers, but not everyone.
Pro photographers who wish to communicate their work with millions of other photographers also post images, even if its not a primary channel for them.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »

I recently joined Phanfare.com. I love it

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/L5z5Jj0E/1/5709476
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
@ MKIIIphotographer Spot on! There is a legitimate use for forums such as these, I usually only post when I have a technical question or something similar. But I agree, the more time I'm on here, the less time I'm out shooting.

Also Smugmug has lots of good photos, not the best for exploring though. Most people seem to use it to host photos and imbed them into their own websites.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

I think it's mostly due to Yahoo just letting it languish, and not doing much to keep it fresh. Plus I think a lot has moved to facebook, etc. Hopefully with the new CEO at yahoo, they can maybe breath a little life back into flickr.
I'd never really heard of flickr before I read about it on some threads on this site, but then again..I'm just now getting into photography.

I did read that the new Yahoo CEO does have it high on her plate that Flickr will be getting updated and improved as one of the first items going forward.

I've heard there are lots of changes already...a more 'google' like environment at Yahoo now..hoping to capture and retain more talent to help the site improve.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »

Interesting post, Mr. Walnut. Generally, I'd say flickr has languished into near irrelavancy over the last few years. Their version of "social media" is at least five years behind the times. With the current dominance of more instant, and what I categorize as "throwaway" communication/images, flickr is nearly pointless for most folks now.

I never posted a lot of pictures there; never felt much need to. I looked around a few years ago when I came back to photography in the digital world and selected Smugmug as a place to store (and limited share) my image files.

What I liked, and still like about flickr is the seemingly limitless grouping. If I want to look at pictures of ferry boats, there are many different groups. If I want to see pictues of baseball, flowers, general landscapes, aircraft, trucks -- they're all there. While I am not participating in the group, there is a 365 project group that I've enjoyed watching. Nice to see the evolution of the project itself as well as the photographers. Anyway, at this point, I think everyone is on hold as the new CEO ponders Yahoo's new direction(s).

To the folks who are suggesting that most flickr members thought they would find fame and fortune, that seems preposterous to me. There is surely a huge proportion of approval seekers cultivating a following that will tell them everything they do is "awesome," but I hardly think they ever thought they could translate this to a business and reliable income. Lots of high school kids dream about the NBA or NFL because a coach tells them they're good and they have some success. The real world intervenes to slap 99.9% of them down in a big hurry.

Mr. Walnut seems to address the disparity between photo sharing sites, like flickr, where many people post photos and can't talk very intelligently about them, and forums like this where lots of people can and do talk knowledgeably about photography and equipment, but where few photos are posted. I don't know of a site that has integrated those two ends of an apparent spectrum. Maybe there is one, but I haven't seen it.

The trend seems to be toward iPhone and the concomitant delivery/sharing systems. Apparently it's damn seductive. I've seen several outstanding pro photographers who now spend most of their time producing "iPhonography." They're even having big shows on the art side.

One person suggested the dust is settling on this whole thing. I think it's a long way from settling and the future is murky and well out of focus for just about everybody. Also, it's never a good idea here to say anything negative about Canon. There are some folks here sensitive as an open sore on that count. Just a word to the....
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »

I think your right about the "Fame" seekers on Flickr. So many have been there to "pimp" their work and those are the ones moving on. Once they realize their not going to make money behind a computer and all those “faves”, it looses its appeal for these individuals. That said, you discount the people that are there because they enjoy photography and post because they want to for no other reason than "sharing" with friends/family or connecting with other photographers.

I have been a reader of this site for quite some time, long before the 5DM3 blowup and often wonder what motivates people to comment here and post to other sites. Flame wars? Fanboys? Holier than thou? Take a look at the high post people here (if they provide a link to Flickr, personal or what ever site they use)... there seems to be a high concentration of "pixel peepers" and equipment testers in this forum. It's hard to take advice from someone with a portfolio containing 90% ISO Charts, equipment and little else. There is always a need for tech people but at some point you have to ask where the photographer is... When did photography get lost in translation?

I rarely comment because it does seem a bit pointless most of the time and I fully expect to get flamed after this. It seems like all of these sites have less to do with photography these days and more about "showing off".  The same goes for this site, Flickr, 500px, Tumblr, etc, etc, etc... Maybe that’s why they are all in the same boat eventually and people enthusiasm wanes. It’s not the place to pimp your business, try to make money or show off your knowledge of ISO charts and camera engineering. You make money with clients and quality work, period. Let your skill as a photographer speak for itself with photographs. The thing about sites like this… every second you’re here flaming is another second you’re not out taking pictures. Imagine if Frank, Avedon or Friedlander spent all their time testing the dynamic range of there cameras and posting to wherever, than actually getting out and shooting. Just saying, I'd rather meet you outside when we arrive at the same location with a camera in hand and we both say "Wow, nice camera... let shoot up the place and have a beer afterwards!" That’s where we should be discussing this lens, that camera, etc…  :-*

Agreed. I like to believe I'm the exception to this.

I shot on a 50mm for the majority of my life and used it till it broke. Its not your camera but the 6 inches behind it that matter.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
@MKIIIPhotographer
there seems to be a high concentration of "pixel peepers" and equipment testers in this forum. It's hard to take advice from someone with a portfolio containing 90% ISO Charts, equipment and little else. There is always a need for tech people but at some point you have to ask where the photographer is... When did photography get lost in translation?

This is hilarious, I've seen that thread!!!

There are some posts which remind me of the worst of the camera club gear snobs I've encountered in real life.

"I want to upgrade my 300D to something a bit better, was looking at a T3i"
"Don't waste your time, get a 1DX"

"I'm looking for a cheapish compact lens for travelling"
"Don't waste your time, get a 35L"

And that kind of thing...

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
I had some stuff on Flickr...it was a great way to share my photos with "the public" (non-FB friends)...but I soon reached my limit for a free user (200 images)- ultimately I just decided to put everything on FB instead (also allowed me to tag the relevant folks in select shots)

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »
I joined up in the early days but soon realized it wasn't for me and kind of lost interest. Now just use FB to share pics with friends and family.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

aprotosimaki

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
I don't mind flickr. There are some pretty good photographs up there. I tend to use it for compositional ideas and as a starting point for learning new techniques.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »
Several years ago when I first went looking for a photosharing site I considered flickr.  But, although free, it seemed to have many restrictions relating to uploads and file sizes (I can't remember if it had any "pro" options then).  I ended up signing up with smugmug instead.  Since then, I don't know if Flickr has innovated or changed much.  Flickr pages look the same as they always have.  Being the first big kid in the market certainly helped them become popular.  But I'm just wondering if some of the initial users have moved onto other sites that give them more options and flair with how they present things?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:04:20 AM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »