November 19, 2017, 11:16:11 PM

Author Topic: What lenses do you own?  (Read 52084 times)

sufirosso

Re: What lenses do you own?
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
I own many lens:
100 macro
24-105

but my suggestion to you is not to put too much emphasis on the lens you have or which lens to buy. What is important in my opinion is to keep your "arsenal" light and efficient and became very familiar with at least 1 or 2 lens. There are world famous photographers that built their entire career using a 50mm or 35mm... Cartier-Bresson just to name one.
By getting familiar with a lens I mean really know the potential of that focal lens, the difference that makes the distance between you and subject at different apertures, and know exactly, almost instinctively, the coverage of that lens even before you frame.
Too many options  sometimes can be distracting and sometimes make you lazy:) Many time you don`t need a 200m if you can take few steps and use a 85mm. ;)

Good luck

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »

kev8d

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
You should know that I'm a professional videographer, so autofocus isn't a priority to me.

Keepers:
  • Samyang 14mm f/2.8. Shows significant distortion, but it makes a great effects lens for video. Quite sharp. Great value if you don't need AF.
  • Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS. One of my favourite general-purpose lenses. I've shot entire weddings with just this lens (by choice, too! The shootsac had other lenses, but it's just so darn versatile!). Despite being a "kit" lens, this lens is quite sharp and has reliable autofocus. The IS is very handy, too. If Canon made a 24-105 f/2.8 IS, I'd probably sell most of my lenses and then carry the f/2.8 and a 2x teleconverter.
  • Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L I. A wedding photographer's best friend. Most photogs I know use this with a 70-200. Great combination. That being said, I've never been "wowed" by the image quality. The image quality is very good, but I can see why people are willing to upgrade to the new II version.
  • Voigtlander 28mm f/2.8 (pancake lens). This lens is brand new. It was released less than a month ago. It's entirely manual focus, and it's extremely small and well built. The image quality in the center is really sharp and with decent contrast. The corners are soft and show vignetting wide open. Despite being less than perfect optically, the lens's small size, wonderful focus ring, excellent build quality, and great center sharpness make it fun to use.
  • Canon EF 50mm f/1.4. I think this is one of the best values in Canon's lineup. The build quality is better than the 50mm f/1.8, and the focus ring feels really nice. That being said, I've worked with people whose copies had the AF motor die, which is apparently a common problem. The image quality is quite good, which is what you'd hope for when shooting with a fast prime lens.
  • Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS I. This big, heavy lens' versatility makes up for its sometimes awkward size. The IS and AF work well in my copy, and I'm generally pleased with the image quality. I bought it used, and it was worth the price. That being said, if you have the budget, consider the II version. It's noticeably sharper and will quickly sell if you ever have to part with it.
  • Canon EF 85mm f/1.8. I love this lens for photography. It's a great portrait lens. Sharp, fast AF, unobtrusive size, and reasonably priced. That being said, I find the focal length really awkward for video. For photography, this is probably the best value in Canon's lineup - even more so than the 50 f/1.4.
  • Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED (manual focus). I use this old lens on my Canon's with a cheap adapter purchased from ebay. We often shoot with second or third shooters who don't have long lenses, so this is a great lens to lend them on wedding days during ceremonies. The image quality is really quite good, and it's very solidly built. My biggest complaint for video is that it doesn't come with a tripod collar, which means you tend to get lens shake in your footage whenever you pull focus.

Sold:
  • Sigma 24mm f/1.8. Reasonably sharp. Quite versatile because of its macro abilities and large aperture. It's a large lens, and I found I didn't use it enough to justify the weight in my shootsac. Most importantly, my copy had terrible backfocusing. Even after sending it back to Sigma for repairs and then micro adjusting it to match my bodies, it was still unreliable. I bought it used and sold it at a significant loss. Sigma is notorious for poor quality control. Sigma makes some great glass, but make sure you test the lens yourself with your camera before you buy.
  • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Fairly sharp wide open and better stopped down. For it's price, it's a great little lens, but it's poor build quality and tiny focus ring may get on your nerves. If you can afford it, go for the 50 f/1.4.
  • Canon EF 50mm f/2 macro. This is probably the sharpest Canon lens I own. It has excellent image quality. Unfortunately, the build quality is quite poor. After using the lens only four or five times (always indoors), the focus ring has started to grind and turn awkwardly. I'll be sending it in for service. I also find the focus ring uncomfortable to use and difficult for focusing on distant objects (it's made for macro work). After this one's back from Canon, I'll be selling it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:16:11 PM by kev8d »
5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40 F/4L, 24-70 F/2.8L, 24-105 F/4L, 50 F/1.4, Zeiss 50 F/2 MP, 50 F/2.5, Nikkor 180 F/2.8 AIS, 70-200 F/2.8

aroo

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
I'm an artist, and a professor of art & design. A lot of my work focuses on landscape. All my cameras are APS-C, all the lenses are Canon. I want a 6D pretty bad.

I've gotten hooked on canonrumors forums within the past year, and learned quite a bit here. This thread a consistently fun and informative one! It's interesting to me that even the cheapest Canon lenses are often very capable.

15-85mm is my current favorite, because the range of focal lengths are exactly the ones I use most. IQ is really sharp, with vivid colors and contrast. Landscapes love this lens, and I don't have to carry anything else on day hikes.

18-135mm is an extremely useful range, and it's light, so I take it on backpacking trips.

85mm f/1.8 has given me some really dreamy candid portraits.

70-200mm f/4 excels when details are the key thing, it makes nice big colorful prints without much PP.

24-70mm f/2.8 and I don't really understand each other yet, but we're working at it.

60mm f/2.8 is actually pretty versatile, useful for macro (insects, plant surfaces, textures) and also portraits. Macro video of really tiny stuff turns out awesome.

10-22mm is an awe-inspiring device, the ultra-wide offers a very new and different way to see. Also very light, good to carry around all day.

50mm f/1.8 makes the sharpest pictures of any of my lenses, including the L's, with a sweet spot at f/10. The normal perspective limited to a cropped field of view on APS-C bodies is sometimes frustrating, and the focus ring suuuuuuucks. A love/hate situation, with far more love than hate.

400mm f/5.6 is very sharp, with rich saturated colors, difficult to hand hold but rewarding when it hits.

55-250mm was one of my first three lenses, and I still use it (kind of a lot) for the combination of image stabilization, portability, and a pretty long reach.

18-55mm was my main landscape lens for a few years, but rarely gets used anymore.

Creek28

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »
Hi,

i have

Canon 24 - 70mm L ii 2.8
Canon 70 - 200mm L IS ii 2.8
Canon 100mm L IS 2.8

i need something wider  ;)

verysimplejason

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »
Hi,

i have

Canon 24 - 70mm L ii 2.8
Canon 70 - 200mm L IS ii 2.8
Canon 100mm L IS 2.8

i need something wider  ;)

17-40? :) unless you're shooting in low-light then 16-35 II.

notapro

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
I have these now:

Canon 24mm f/1.4L II USM
Canon 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Future might include a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and maybe one more Canon prime, but a 5D Mark III will come first.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »