April 17, 2014, 08:18:51 PM

Author Topic: People with a 5D3 from first batch, did you get the light leak issue fixed?  (Read 4587 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I don't personally care about the light leak issue, but I know it could potentially hurt the resale value.  I was just wondering if anyone had gotten theirs fixed and if so how did you go about doing it?  And how much did it cost?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I didn't get mine fixed and the guy who bought it never asked or commented it either. And I never thought about it. The 1d X exposes sooo accurate compared, but I have no way of saying it would have been less of a gap if the 5d3 had been fixed or not.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

Hugo Fisher

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Honza Jezdik | Photography
No, I did not.
Canon 5D mk III + 1100D | 17-40/4L | 24-70/2.8L | Sigma 35/1,4 Art | 50/1,4 | 85/1,8 | 70-200/2,8L IS II | 580 EX II |  | Wedding and studio photography | www.honzajezdik.cz | www.facebook.com/jezdik.photo

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
No, wasn't any need to. The fix is free under warranty.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
nope. no need.

Avro1

Yes, I had Canon Service Centre (6390 Dixie Rd Mississauga) address the "light leak" issue,  ---- free of charge ------ . I dropped off my 5D3 in early June and Canon send it back to me within 7 days or so.  I decided to have this addressed , rather than later, if and when I begin to shoot under those low light "dark" conditions. http://canonrumors.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

roumin

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
I didn't.  I did't want to give up my camera for a week unless I have to.

canon rumors FORUM

scott_m

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
This light leak occurs under such highly specific conditions (turning on the top LCD backlight while shooting a time exposure in the dark) that I didn't think it would ever affect me; in any case I would be in M mode for shots like this and have the VF cover on. So I was reluctant to have my otherwise working just great camera dismantled for the sake of installing a piece of tape. Light leaks through the VF are a much more common and bigger problem (even during normal daytime shooting if the sun's behind your shoulder) and no-one ever worries about that. Or seems to. I think that by the time I'm ready to move on from the Mark III, the resale will be so low the light leak fix will be the least of my worries (just took a huge hit selling my cherry 2-yr old D700 so I know what I'm talking about, unfortunately)

Regards,
Scott

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Nope. Complete non-issue.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I don't personally care about the light leak issue, but I know it could potentially hurt the resale value.  I was just wondering if anyone had gotten theirs fixed and if so how did you go about doing it?  And how much did it cost?
I have not bothered, the so called problem is so far off my radar that I forgot to mention it when my 5D3 went into CPS for a replacement shutter a couple of weeks ago.
By the time resale comes around, I think the light leak scenario will be mostly forgotten.

-PW

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
I started a poll for this a while back here:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8220.0

Mine is with Canon Canada (Dixie Road) at the moment to get the light leak issue fixed. I dropped it off yesterday and the website had said 7-10 days and the email they sent me after I left it with them said 10-15 days  :'(

Yikes, I hope both are wrong and I get it back earlier than that. I also gave them my 24-105 to check out as it seems soft on occasion.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Haven't yet. I'll eventually send it to Canon with a lens or three for AF adjustment after I sign up for CPS Platinum; at that point, I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Will I bother checking to see if they did or not? No.

b&

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
I had mine fixed when I sent my 5D3 in to have the focus screen replaced (I screwed it up while cleaning).  They replaced the screen for free and did the light leak fix for free as well with a 2-day turn-around time.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

canon rumors FORUM

Robert Welch

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
I don't see a need to. If I had to have another repair done, then I might ask for it to be done, but I would rather not have the camera opened up for something that is really a non-issue. There is always a chance that something could happen while being 'on the bench' that isn't detected until I get it back, requiring me to send it back for another repair. There is an old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That sums up how I feel. Maybe if I ever decide to sell it, I'll send it in for a cleaning and have it done then, but I have no intention of selling mine...not for a long time at least.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/

My 5D III from 1st batch. I'm 15mins away from Canon Service Center, Irvine CA. I have not yet bring my 5D III down for this service. I plan to keep my camera until 5D mrk4 comes out.

By then, I wonder people would still ask this question?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:58:31 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM