October 22, 2014, 04:46:16 AM

Author Topic: People with a 5D3 from first batch, did you get the light leak issue fixed?  (Read 4937 times)

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I am not getting mine fixed, no way. It a silly 'issue', not a real problem.

Light leak army FTW!

canon rumors FORUM

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
I have not sent it in and do not intend to.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
I did but I was already sending it in for focusing issues in which they replaced the CPU board on my 50 mm instead either way it's done and over with.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

96Brigadier

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Nope, don't see it as being an issue.  The night shots I've done I've just taken an exposure through the VF without having to look at the top LCD.

darash

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I have the light leak issue when i don't remove the lens cap, but I'm just a normal guy who takes photos with the lens cap removed. So it's not an issue to me and I'm not letting anyone touch the inside of my camera.
5D3

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Nope. Non-issue.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I don't personally care about the light leak issue, but I know it could potentially hurt the resale value.  I was just wondering if anyone had gotten theirs fixed and if so how did you go about doing it?  And how much did it cost?
I have not bothered, the so called problem is so far off my radar that I forgot to mention it when my 5D3 went into CPS for a replacement shutter a couple of weeks ago.
By the time resale comes around, I think the light leak scenario will be mostly forgotten.

-PW

Shutter replacement already?..
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

canon rumors FORUM

M.ST

I get a new 5D Mark III (there are a few other problems with the body), but the light leak don´t effect my work. No one look a the top display during a long exposure.

Canon fix the problem with a normal tape. That´s absolutely a joke.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I have not bothered, the so called problem is so far off my radar that I forgot to mention it when my 5D3 went into CPS for a replacement shutter a couple of weeks ago.
-PW

Shutter replacement already?..

Yep, at less than 10K actuations too. I had the dubious honour of having the first one in Australia. I wouldn't read too much into it, just a bit of bad luck which fortunately happened during warranty. My studio is 15 minutes from CPS. They fixed it in two days and gave me a loan 5D3 in the meantime.

Glad I didn't buy gray? You bet.

-PW

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
No, non-issue for me so far but I will if the circumstances arise.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I just called Canon Canada and was told it would be at least ten days for my light leak repair because it is the busy season. He also mentioned because the light leak issue is an advisory, it can be done at any time beyond the one year warranty.

That said, I have yanked the camera back from them and should have it back to me by Friday. I will revisit the repair if and when I deem it appropriate.

I got to thinking after reading many of the posts here and agree "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Nope... I don't shoot with my lens cap on (well, at least not intentionally...  ::) ) so it's totally a non-issue for me.
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Nope... I don't shoot with my lens cap on
I prefer to call it the 'Maximum Density Filter' - LOL

canon rumors FORUM

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
No I don't plan to get if fixed on either of my 2 bodies. It's just not a problem.

mmaher92037

I took my 5D III to CPS Irvine, CA, for a sensor cleaning and rep asked if I wanted the light leak fixed, sure, why not. When the camera was returned, its viewfinder screen and sensor had noticable dust, hair, and other assorted debris. I returned the camera to Irvine for cleaning.

canon rumors FORUM