October 25, 2014, 03:53:25 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5dm3 hi-iso speed noise reduction/ D+ highlight tone priority  (Read 6259 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
OMG! Forget LR4 for noise. I usually don't turn many enhanced features on on a camera but I decided to test things out and while the sharpest image at 25,600 iso is no noise reduction even the middle (standard) noise reduction is very nice! I plan to keep it on standard. According to page 145 in the 5dm3 manual in low iso's it further reduces the noise in the shadows only not paying attention to the rest of the image.
I am including a screen shot showing no noise reduction and standard noise reduction in camera. For those who want super techy views and full images. just go ahead and do it then post, i don't care to. If your eyes dont see what i am saying then just look into it for yourself.

Shooting sports often times things are pretty harsh and backlit rendering 1 to 2 stops over exposure to expose the skin correctly. The highlight tone priority that was first introduced in the 1dm3 and now also in my 5dm3 is wow! I used it on the 1dm3 on occasion, but with the 5dm3 anything lit strongly be it window light or sunlight the blown areas are reduced to pretty much nothing! It truly is amazing. According to Canon the highlights dynamic range is increased and the shadows dynamic range lessened but unless the shadows are crucial to the composition highlight tone priority is the bomb!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:36:55 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5dm3 hi-iso speed noise reduction/ D+ highlight tone priority
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »
Were both sooc? I generally use low NR, even with high ISO which seems to work well. I'll have to try the HTP on the football field Friday night.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »
Were both sooc? I generally use low NR, even with high ISO which seems to work well. I'll have to try the HTP on the football field Friday night.
HTP is only good for bright daylight or lighting while keeping whites from being blown, shadows wont be as clean, i wonder how it will help you in that situation at night. I don't see a need for it in that situation...
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
HTP is only good for bright daylight or lighting while keeping whites from being blown, shadows wont be as clean, i wonder how it will help you in that situation at night. I don't see a need for it in that situation...
I was thinking to help tone down the white jerseys and helmets that have about a stop more light than the faces. You don't think it would help there? I didn't think it affected shadows (ALO) affects shadows.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
I was thinking to help tone down the white jerseys and helmets that have about a stop more light than the faces. You don't think it would help there? I didn't think it affected shadows (ALO) affects shadows.

I shoot with auto ISO on and spot meter off the jerseys for night football.  If you have a 1D4 or 1DX, you can also shoot EC +1/3 or +2/3.  I'll often spot meter off a bright jersey and then shoot to the right 1/3 or 2/3. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
now... may be a dumb question, but does that work with RAW also or only with JPGs?
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »
Ahhh, i was wondering if the jerseys were white since i explained when to use it and it only made sense in your situation if they were white. I'd like ot hear how it goes with htp, please let me know or post the diff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
I disabled Auto-ISO, highlight tone priority, auto lightning optimizer and the noise reductions.

I use Photoshop CS6 with some plugins and DPP instead of LR4.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:49:02 AM »
now... may be a dumb question, but does that work with RAW also or only with JPGs?

Yep, HTP controls how the data is processed in the ADC before it's converted to a file.  It's permanently turned on in my 40D.  If I really need to control the additional luminance noise it generates in the shadows I use a custom tone curve in LR to smursh them a little bit.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:02:23 AM »
I do appreciate this thread very much, as I am going FF 5D3 within the next few month. Will rent a body and test it, to get accquainted a bit with it.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:02:23 AM »