July 23, 2014, 12:51:19 PM

Author Topic: 26.4mp 5D Mark III Mid-year? [CR1]  (Read 38198 times)

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 26.4mp 5D Mark III Mid-year? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
If this is true it's not very. 26MP is way to little. The 18MP of the crop  bodies equals 46MP in FF. This will probably be increase so anything less than 50MP in a new FF is very bad. We pay a lot more for FF and want the same reach as with crop bodies.There are a few things that are neccessary in 5D3
>50MP
Better (or at least equal) DR than D3x
Better (or at least equal) high ISO performance than D3s
Significantly improved AF
No banding problem
Build in flash
Then there should probably be some improved/added features but that is not as important.

So basically it's very simple to make a something that will meet most peoples requirements, except the high frame rate shooters, and Canon should be aware about this.

+1 for high ISO preformance and improved AF. I think these things are what many of us want from new affordable FF body.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »

kirillica

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
The 18MP of the crop  bodies equals 46MP in FF.
I wonder, how this number is calculated? :)

kirillica

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 08:35:13 AM »
The 18MP of the crop  bodies equals 46MP in FF.
I wonder, how this number is calculated? :)

Canon has 1.6x crop bodies at 18MP
18x1.6^2=46MP
So, to not must have a crop as second body for better reach FF must currently have 46MP. They absolutely must fix this because I don't always want to carry a second body.
Since the only drawback of more pixels is file size and possibly frame rate, which both may be addressed in different ways, there is no reason to not fix this very severe problem.
Actually, this is not correct calculation. Size and point of point matters. If we will follow you computations, then my 5DmII is "just" 4 times better than my 5mp Nokia N96 built-in camera.

So I'm not worried about "just" 26.4mp in 5DmIII, because I believe Canon can make an outstanding sensor. Like it does all the time :)

foobar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
There are a few things that are neccessary in 5D3
>50MP
Better (or at least equal) DR than D3x
Better (or at least equal) high ISO performance than D3s
I'm pretty sure any manifacturer would love to build a sensor like that, but I guess technology isn't quite there yet.

Actually, this is not correct calculation. Size and point of point matters. If we will follow you computations, then my 5DmII is "just" 4 times better than my 5mp Nokia N96 built-in camera.
No, the calculation is correct. What is incorrect is that you assumed the same 1.6x crop factor for your N96 as well, but actually it has a 7,61x crop factor, which means it would equal 289mp on FF.

kirillica

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
Sorry, but you are wrong. My calculation is correct. I'm not talking about quality of the pixel. I'm talking about resolution of the final picture with same field of view.
Just compare current models. A 18MP 7D picture will easily outresolve a 8MP 5D2 picture with same field of view.
Since, as I wrote, there are only advantages and no real drawback with higher pixel density (within current manufacturing possibilities) there is no reason to increase density as much as possible.
Am not talking about incorrect numbers, but the logics you're using it. Number of pixels doesn't show anything in DSLR world: picture quality in battle 5DmII vs 7D is fatal (while mp diff is not so huge). Quality matters, and please stop counting megapixels ;)

Justin

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »
I'd still like a popup flash on this camera - flame me.

No thanks. Gets in the way of tilt shift lens movements.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:43 AM »
" 19 point AF system, 3 cross-type points"
That is a few steps backward from the 7D. 7D is ALL 19 points cross.

I think they meant f/2.8 cross-type points, with the rest being f/5.6.

This is the one spec that kind of stands out to me; where would the 3 be? Seems kind of odd...I would think 5 would make more sense (1 center, 4 corners or 1 center and 1 on each side of the center). Being 3 it might be Center, then the one directly to the left and right of it.

The various comments about "3 focus points" makes for interesting reading because those who've been using Canon SLRs for longer than the "digital years" will be familiar with how Canon arranged auto-focus points on SLRs with of 3 them. Strange as it may seem, when there were only 3 auto focus points, I was still able to take photos that were in focus.

Strange as it may seem, people took good photos of all sorts of things before the viewfinder was full of autofocus points - heck, how many auto-focus points do you think Ansel Adams had? Photographers that are children of the Internet revolution are such babies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:43 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »
If this is true it's not very. 26MP is way to little.

Cripes, do posters in this forum just plain refuse to use their brains?

What was the time lag between the 20D and the 5D Mark II?

That time lag is an indication of the amount of time required to go from an 8MP APS-C to 21MP FF. The 20D was released in August 2004. The 5D Mark 2 was September 2008. 4 years.

The 40D (10MP) was released Aug 2007. The full frame version of that sensor is 25.6MP. 4 years from Aug 2007 is Aug 2011. Not very far away...

I don't expect that you will see the 7D's sensor in a full frame camera any time soon.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »
What about expected MSRP?

What about expected DR?

What about availability?

Manufactured in earthquake-affected Japan or ...?

I less confident about 30MP being correct because it does not correspond to any APS-C sensor pixel density size.

So an entirely believable rumor... except that it might be announce only and no availability due to manufacturing difficulties.

Bob Howland

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »
I'd still like a popup flash on this camera - flame me.

No thanks. Gets in the way of tilt shift lens movements.

I agree.

DuLt

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
" 19 point AF system, 3 cross-type points"
That is a few steps backward from the 7D. 7D is ALL 19 points cross.

I think they meant f/2.8 cross-type points, with the rest being f/5.6.

This is the one spec that kind of stands out to me; where would the 3 be? Seems kind of odd...I would think 5 would make more sense (1 center, 4 corners or 1 center and 1 on each side of the center). Being 3 it might be Center, then the one directly to the left and right of it.

The various comments about "3 focus points" makes for interesting reading because those who've been using Canon SLRs for longer than the "digital years" will be familiar with how Canon arranged auto-focus points on SLRs with of 3 them. Strange as it may seem, when there were only 3 auto focus points, I was still able to take photos that were in focus.

Strange as it may seem, people took good photos of all sorts of things before the viewfinder was full of autofocus points - heck, how many auto-focus points do you think Ansel Adams had? Photographers that are children of the Internet revolution are such babies.

Seconded.

I mostly use just the central focus point... all the other are just used to confirm focus on ladnscapes.

Bob Howland

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
If this is true it's not very. 26MP is way to little.

Cripes, do posters in this forum just plain refuse to use their brains?

What was the time lag between the 20D and the 5D Mark II?

That time lag is an indication of the amount of time required to go from an 8MP APS-C to 21MP FF. The 20D was released in August 2004. The 5D Mark 2 was September 2008. 4 years.

The 40D (10MP) was released Aug 2007. The full frame version of that sensor is 25.6MP. 4 years from Aug 2007 is Aug 2011. Not very far away...

I don't expect that you will see the 7D's sensor in a full frame camera any time soon.

One definition of superstition is seeing a pattern of correlation and/or causality where none actually exists.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
I mostly use just the central focus point... all the other are just used to confirm focus on ladnscapes.

How do you use off-center AF points to 'confirm focus' on landscapes?  The only thing that comes to mind is when you shoot in automatic AF selection mode so every AF point on the plane lights up.  Else, the AF system will just use whichever point is selected, and the other points are inactive.

Is your primary subject dead-center in all your shots?  To me, that would make for boring, monotonous, and poorly composed shots.  If I wanted that special Bob-the-American-tourist snapshot look, I'd just use a point-and-shoot with a fixed AF box right in the center.  On the other hand, if you want to compose a shot with an off-center subject and you're shooting with a fast lens wide open (e.g. 85mm f/1.2), focus/recompose will get you a blurry shot every time - thus the need for off-center AF points, and frankly, on the 5DII those just aren't adequate in terms of performance.

I, too, started with an SLR in the manual focus era.  Just because I can manually focus, doesn't mean I want to all the time, especially with the microetching on standard focus screens that improves brightness at the cost of masking the true DoF for fast lenses.

Heck, we could walk to work through the snow every day all winter, too.  Commuters that are children of the automotive age are such babies... :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »

DuLt

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
@ neuroanatomist

Sorry I meant "others".

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »
If these specifications are true, I can see the D800 selling well.  Sorry, but Canon haven't had the full frame market to themselves for a generation now, it's no good them crippling cameras to protect the 1D series.  I fully understand that people were capable of taking great photos before the AF era, but hey people were capable of driving cars before synchronised and automatic gearboxes -it doesn't mean that I would enjoy double declutching on a moden car: expectations change. 

For marketing purposes, if nothing else, a 5D MkIII needs at least the 7D's AF system and 5fps.  Simply re-iterating the same package with a higher resolution sensor won't cut the mustard; 21MP is already enough for most people's printing needs. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »