September 23, 2017, 12:10:56 AM

Author Topic: first attempts at macro stacking, let's see some stuff. (beginners only please)  (Read 52614 times)

hyles

• EOS Rebel 300D
After reading this topic, I decided to give Focus Stacking a try, so I downloaded Helicon Focus.
I have to admit that it is a very interesting tool, I will try again in future, and iwill try even other software, just out of curiosity.
It require, for high magnification, a very sturdy tripod, otherway the micro movement of the camera will give unpredictable result, and you'll have to do the work manually.
Here what I tried:
Empty exuvia of a swallowtail butterflies, Eos 6d, Canon 100mm macro with 3 flash for lighting 18 pictures merged with Helicon focus.

Second picturs, the same subject RR 1:1  , eos 6D,Canon MPE 65mm macro @ about 1:1 with 3 flash for lighting 19 pictures merged with Helicon focus.
Then a very small fibre of silk from the same pupa, using eos 6D, MPE 65mm macro @ 5:1 with 3 flash for lighting 3 pictures manually merged with Paint Shop Pro.
Ciao Diego

canon rumors FORUM

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
After reading this topic, I decided to give Focus Stacking a try, so I downloaded Helicon Focus.
I have to admit that it is a very interesting tool, I will try again in future, and iwill try even other software, just out of curiosity.
It require, for high magnification, a very sturdy tripod, otherway the micro movement of the camera will give unpredictable result, and you'll have to do the work manually.

Great work, well done! But don't feel too constrained, I've done plenty handheld focus stacks. You just have to be as steady as possible :)
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Here is one of the first focus stacks I did. I used 18 images for this one, the second image is a 100% crop. Shot at f8 for lens sharpness but I let the 'natural' effect of dof falloff remain, just mitigated it somewhat with the stack.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

gjones5252

• EOS M5
So i tried this again after many failed attempts. your previous examples made me thing maybe i can do it. Here are two examples one with the trial Helicon and on with Photoshop cc. Can anyone explain why photoshop cc looks better but it can never get a good stack. there are always weird blury parts or its just unable to do it.
Helicon got it but there is a lot of noise introduced and it isnt as crisp anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Which stacking method did you use in HeliconFocus? The three different methods vary in effectiveness depending on the type of subject. Best to fiddle around with different settings. If the Helicon one is the second image, then I imagine you used pyramid - that can blow out highlights and cause posterisation. Best to use low contrast jpegs rather than raw images for that.
I dont really remember, honestly as my first time using it based on a recommendation on here. I pretty much just hit go and this is what came out. I will look and double check the settings.
it just drives me nuts to pay for a program to do this when i have photoshop but it never seems to get really good focus stacking but on my first try Helicon can at least put the images together.

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
So i tried this again after many failed attempts. your previous examples made me thing maybe i can do it. Here are two examples one with the trial Helicon and on with Photoshop cc. Can anyone explain why photoshop cc looks better but it can never get a good stack. there are always weird blury parts or its just unable to do it.
Helicon got it but there is a lot of noise introduced and it isnt as crisp anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Which stacking method did you use in HeliconFocus? The three different methods vary in effectiveness depending on the type of subject. Best to fiddle around with different settings. If the Helicon one is the second image, then I imagine you used pyramid - that can blow out highlights and cause posterisation. Best to use low contrast jpegs rather than raw images for that.
I dont really remember, honestly as my first time using it based on a recommendation on here. I pretty much just hit go and this is what came out. I will look and double check the settings.
it just drives me nuts to pay for a program to do this when i have photoshop but it never seems to get really good focus stacking but on my first try Helicon can at least put the images together.

Helicon is a great program, and not too expensive. If you do stacking a lot, it's well worth it. It's not the easiest to get used to at first, but there is a reasonable user guide online. Mostly it's trial and error, as they admit themselves. Different types of subject (flat, complex, shiny, etc) will have different requirements.

It's also worth nailing the shooting technique for this. Take more shots than you need. You want some overlap of the in-focus areas so there aren't bands of softness in the finished image. Alternatively, if you're using an autofocus lens, you can tether it and get HeliconRemote to shoot the stack for you. That works well, but I think costs extra, and is no use for the MP-E lens of course.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

hyles

• EOS Rebel 300D
Here a couple of new shot just take, the portrait of the caterpillar about 10 pictures at f4, the entire caterpillars 46 pictures.
Hand holding camera it is very difficult mantinig allignmet of the images thus giving strange result, so after a few try I decided to use a tripod..
Really nice way of taking macro...
Diego

Al Chemist

• EOS Rebel SL2
  • Be kind to a stranger, it is contagious!
I have been meaning to try stacking and just never got to it, so you folks inspired me! I decided to try it on a wood carving I made a few years ago. Focused on the back of Marvin's helmet and worked my way to Bugs' ears. Only 5 pictures...probably could have used many more. 100mm Macro lens at f5.6 using manual focus on a tripod. I then processed the pictures in CS6 and was actually surprised at how well it worked.

canon rumors FORUM

niels123

• EOS M5
Although formally I would not consider myself a beginner, it's too tempting not to show some of my work  ;D

joe_r

• PowerShot G1 X II
I've just started trying to stack images. Just using photoshop, but not having a good time with it. PS seems to randomly choose areas to blend in my images that make no sense. So I've just been doing it by hand. With the flower images I've been working with, it's pretty easy to do. I couldn't imagine trying something more complicated by hand though. That would be insanely tedious.

Tulip by Joe, on Flickr

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Does anyone know what type of spider this is?  Its face almost looks human when viewed macro sized.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Here is a blow up of just the spider.  My Macro shot for today :)

BTW, Taken with my IPhone 6.

chrysoberyl

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • 6D
Although formally I would not consider myself a beginner, it's too tempting not to show some of my work  ;D

Exquisite gold crystals; are they natural?  How tiny is the Childrenite on quartz crystals?
6D, 80D, 5D IV, Zeiss Milvus 100mm Makro, Sigma 180mm/2.8 macro, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 24mm/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4, Tokina 16-28, Canon 1.4X III TC, Canon 2X III TC, Rokinon 14mm 2.4, Sigma 135mm ART.

LordofTackle

• EOS 80D
First attempt with stacking. The spider was sitting on the wall for the whole afternoon so I finally decided to give it a try.
92 pictures @ f/2.8, ISO100
I'd appreciate some advice :)

canon rumors FORUM

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
First attempt with stacking. The spider was sitting on the wall for the whole afternoon so I finally decided to give it a try.
92 pictures @ f/2.8, ISO100
I'd appreciate some advice :)

Looks great! It must have been patient to sit for that many exposures ;)

My advice would be, save yourself some time and try stopping down to f/5.6 and then you'll need fewer shots. Otherwise, you're doing fine!

canon rumors FORUM