August 22, 2014, 01:41:23 PM

Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 3825 times)

TheOm3ga

  • Guest
What should I do?
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
Hi all!

My situation is a little bit complicated. I sold all of my APS-C gear (I kept the 70-200 f4 IS and the 50 1.8) to switch to full frame. I was going to get a 5D2 + 24-70, but now with all the rumors about the 5D3, I don't know what to do.

On the one hand, I'm a student, I don't take pictures for a living, actually I wouldn't have too much time to take pictures now with all the exams and such. That's why I wouldn't mind waiting for the new camera.

But on the other hand, the 5D3 is just that, a rumor, and even if it were announced today, it would take months to be available on the US... and even more time here in Spain, where I live. Furthermore, thousands of successful photographers use the 5D2 everyday and get wonderful results.

Anyways... what should I do? Switching to Nikon is not an option  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

What should I do?
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »

LFG530

  • Guest
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
Hi,

I'm actually in a similar situation since I want to sell my 7d since it still has a lot of value.

What I'm considering and think you might consider is getting a cheap used body (like a 20d or a XSi) to be able to take pictures and wait for the mark III...

Oh and you'd have a backup, travel or small camera when you don't want to take risks with your 3k dollars cam :P

ronderick

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 400
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
My 2 cents:

If you're not under any pressure to make a living off photography, why not just get a 5D2 or a used 5D2? The good thing about the 5D2 is you pretty much know what you are getting, so no surprises there (if you are going to get a used one, you can take your time to shop around for a good deal).

The arrival of the 5D3 will not decrease 5D2's capabilities in any ways.

All you need to consider is whether it's a good investment for the number of years you intend to use it.

Again, while the 5D3 MAY be a significant improvement, you have to consider that 1) it's a rumor; 2) the time between announcement and release; 3) the time for shipment to arrive at your local store; and 4) the time it takes for a thorough review/evaluation of the new body. IMHO, that's easily six months plus...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

87vr6

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »
Here's an easy way of looking at things...

Do you have a camera currently? Since you said you sold all the APS-C stuff, I'm assuming no...

So, the supposed 5D3 taking any pictures for you right now? No.

Is the 5D2 that you can easily buy because it's available going to take pictures for you? Yes.

Buy what you want to buy now.


S P

  • Guest
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »
As soon as I had bought my 5D2 body last year in June 2010 (switching from Nikon), I laughed as soon as a fresh set of rumors came out proclaiming the 5D3 to be arriving soon.  Even if a 5D3 is announced tomorrow, with all of the issues in Japan I think it would be a loooong time or them to even be available in significant quantities.  Also when a 5D3 does come out, it'll probably be a good bit more expensive than the 5D2 is today -- or -- the 5D2 will be discounted and you'll be able to get a screaming good deal on one.  So I'd either get a 5D2 today, new or used, and if you really want the 5D3 when it comes out just sell whatever body you've got and buy the new one.  As the others have said, the 5D2 won't suddenly become a lousy camera when the replacement comes out.  I love mine and how well it works to the point that I doubt I'll bother even considering the new one.

Just wanted to add, with the way prices have gone here in the U.S., it's nice to know that my camera has basically been FREE.  8)  Bought it during the last round of Canon rebates ($100 off) plus the BING 10% cashback deal from Adorama ($239.90) for a total of $2159 brand spanking new and *not* refurbished.  They're selling for more than that used now.  :o  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:52:39 PM by S P »

jhanken

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
I bought an used original 5D model last year and I love it!  If you are not taking video, maybe it will be the perfect thing until you can afford a 5DII or 5DIII when it arrives.  You can probably get one for about $1000.
5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

noisejammer

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 157
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »
Here's my take... Canon announces a camera, two months later DP reviews it, two months later it hits the shops in limited quantities and at a huge premium compared with the camera it's replacing.

Our problem is that Canon is still happily selling as many 5D2's as they can make. Nikon is still selling the D700 and isn't loosing full frame market share to Canon. Thus neither has any real incentive to release a new version until sales start to slump. My best guess is that there already is a 5D3 ready to go to production, but Canon will just quietly sit on its hands - maybe for another year. It might even be two years. Those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know.

In the meantime, without a camera you won't be shooting any images. You might miss a masterpiece because you don't have one; you might miss a masterpiece in a year's time because you're less familiar with the camera that you do have.

I went through this thought process two months ago before I put down cash for a used 5D2. Simply, the camera is better than I am, which is quite good enough for me.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: What should I do?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »

fernando

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »
I did a similar thread not so long ago, so here's my 2 cents based on MY decision.

If you're unsure what to do then you should probably wait, here's why.

1. The 5D Mark III should be announced sooner than later.
-The Mark II was released 2008, it obvious that a new one is on it's way and lading sooner rather than later (2011). I know the Mark II is selling well and that the Japan tragedy affected a lot of stuff but time goes fast and you should see a new one in the near future.

2. This should be a worthy upgrade
- We're not talking about a new side camera like the 60D, 600D or T3i, all those are based on existing technology. New Canon cameras should arrive with their new Digic V processor along with many cutting edge features and fixes. The Digic IV was releases in 08' and technology improves very fast, I don't think you want to be stucked with that when you could wait a bit longer.

3. If you're having this thoughts right now...
- When the Mark III gets announced you'll probably regret spending 2,000+ dollars on the 5DMKII.


That's just my opinion, I'm personally waiting for the 5D Mark III. I really want a camera right now but I'm short on money and don't want to regret buying an old camera just because I couldn't wait. If you really, really, REALLY need the camera right now..then go for it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:06:54 AM by fernando »

LFG530

  • Guest
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:01:04 AM »
I agree with fernando, but don't go for the mark II, like I said I think you should get a used slr for around 300$ and have fun with it until the 5d comes out, if you don't want to keep it afterwards you'll be able to resell it for 200$, it's like renting a cheap car until your brand new bmw is ready ;)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: What should I do?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:01:04 AM »