August 29, 2014, 08:10:57 AM

Author Topic: Adorama issues anyone? Ever try to return a product?  (Read 13044 times)

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
Adorama issues anyone? Ever try to return a product?
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »
My experience has been horrible more than once. Think I'd learn.

Anyone else?
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

canon rumors FORUM

Adorama issues anyone? Ever try to return a product?
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

mjcphoto

Re: Adorama issues anyone? Ever try to return a product?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
My experience has been horrible more than once. Think I'd learn.

Anyone else?

Sorry to hear that.  I had some serious issues with my 1DMK4 back in the spring of 2010.  I sent it in to CPS twice...they wanted to look at it a 3rd time.  That's when I called my credit card company and they took care of it for me.  I had all of the documentation including sample images.

After handing it, Adorama called me and asked why I didn't just go through them to begin with.  I then directed them to their return policy which was a shorter time frame. 

I'm thinking it might have been a pain to go through them and I'm glad I didn't have to.  Actually, B&H was out of stock, that's the only reason I used Adorama for that purchase. 

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
I've been dealing with Adorama for 30 years. Never had a problem.

I don't return much, because I usually know exactly what I want when I order, but I did recently return some items that weren't quite what I was expecting. (Not Adorama's fault, they just weren't quite what I wanted). No problem. They quickly credited my card and emailed me saying they had done so. No questions asked.

What problem are you having. Helen monitors this site pretty well. If it's a legit problem I'm guessing she'll straighten it out for you.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
Bought loads and loads and returned a fair bit of kit also. mostly i returned used gear that i felt wasn't up to par. everything has always been awesome. really, they have been perfect. a 1/2 mark better than b&h, only because b&h makes you write a little letter explaining why you are returning an item. not that they question your motives or anything, it's just one little thing they do that eats my time, that adorama doesn't do. otherwise both are excellent.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »
This is the 2nd anti Adorama posting from the OP in two days.  If there is a issue, he can contact their goodwill ambassador Helen Oster and ask for help. (She also occasionally posts helpful notes on this forum)  They have a excellent reputation, but things can go wrong, and she is usually able to help straighten it out.

Adorama has been great for me for the last 30 years.  They have a 30 day return policy.  You do not have to fool around or call or get a RMA number. 
There is a form online to fill out and you ship the item back. 
I returned my 5D MK III because I was unhappy with the unlighted focus points. I had my refund, no questions asked in less than a week after I mailed it to them.

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Never had any problem with them in the last decade.

What was the problem?

tntwit

• Rebel SL1
  • Enthusiastic Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
I purchased a camera and printer from them in the spring.  Printer arrived damaged from shipping.  Tried the email route, but they ended up canceling the printer order instead of replacing it.  I ended up calling and they took care of it.  Granted, the whole process dragged out a bit, but they were very nice and took care of everything I needed.  The entire experience left me with a positive impression and I plan to order from them in the future based on this experience.

I would recommend them without any reservations.  Excellent retailer.

Actually thinking about their $199 LED light/stand combo featured in the latest photo magazines best budget buys article.
60D, 15-85 IS, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 10-20, 70-300 IS Non L, 430EX II, Vanguard GH-100, Panasonic GF3, 14-42, 14 f2.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
They're great. I've returned a couple of items, no problems. Yesterday, they handled a price matching issue for me immediately, threw in free shipping (which wasn't even part of the match), and I received the item (a Lowepro pack) today.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:55 PM »
No problems at all!!  I have been buying, calling about, returning items with Adorama for 10 years with NO problems. They have been simply fantastic! Great service!!

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »

I followed their directions and had a credit card refund in a few days.

No problem whatsoever.

A retailer that has earned the kind of reputation they have must consistently go out of their way to keep customers satisfied. They're outstanding.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

libertyranger

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
My first purchase from them was some Canon 8 x 10 Semi-Gloss Photo Paper.  The photo paper was bent in half to fit in my mailbox.  This was not Adorama's fault!  However, I contacted their customer service via email and they responded (within 20 minutes) that they were sorry to hear about the poor handling of the mail carrier and they the would either refund the item or could send out another.  I was worried that if they sent out another that the mail carrier (USPS) would fold the package again to make it fit.  I told them it was up to them as I didn't want to see them lose more product based upon the mail carriers handling.  They told me they would mail it out, but this time with UPS.  I received my new package of photo paper 3 days later.

I will definitely be buying future photography equipment front them :)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
I bought a (new) lens from them which didn't perform as well as it should (probably mildly defective).  Returning it was almost as easy as returning an item to amazon, and I was promptly given a refund (they didn't try to make me swap it for another copy).  For whatever that's worth....

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »
Most of my purchases are from Adorama. I generally shop at B&H if only Adorama does not have something in stock (that is not to say that B&H has been bad). I have returned two items till now in the last one year. Both of those were second hand items. I have never faced any problem. Just downloaded the form, filled it in and send the item back with the form and invoice copy. No questions asked, I have been refunded my money.

It might be helpful if the OP makes the problem he is facing a little bit clearer (unless of course there is some privacy issue involved). There are many experienced users here who might be able to give some specific tips in that case.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
I've never tried to return a product to Adorama, but I did have to spend several weeks fighting with them after they charged several thousand dollars to my credit card and then refused to refund it when they couldn't supply the item I had purchased.  I'll certainly never deal with them again.  >:(
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Adorama Return Policy

Return Policy:
For the first 30 days of your purchase (7 Days for in store purchase) you may return the merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges, No RMA number is required to return an item, simply download and fill out the Return Merchandise form
 All returns must meet our guidelines.

Returned or exchanged products must be in brand-new, mint condition, and have all original manufacturers packaging, materials and accessories, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, and blank warranty cards.

Merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) cannot be returned. The original manufacturer's labeled packaging should be enclosed within an outer shipping box. Please do not write or place shipping labels or stickers on the manufacturer's packaging.
Securely package the product and include the filled out Return Merchandise Form and a copy of the original invoice.

Ship the parcel back to us freight prepaid. We do not accept COD or freight collect shipments. We recommend a shipping method that provides tracking and insurance.

Ship to:
 Order Processing
 7 Slater Drive
 Elizabeth, NJ 07206

Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.

Please allow up to 8 business days after we receive the package for your return/exchange/refund to be processed. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is processed.

Important Note for international customers: Please mark the item as "VENDOR RETURN" to avoid duties and customs.

Items that cannot be returned

Items from the following categories may not be returned once opened:
•Software
• Film
• Paper
• DVDs and video tapes
• Bulbs and flash tubes
• Batteries
• Ink cartridges
• Memory cards
• Any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack"

Items from the following categories may not be returned:
•Printers cannot be returned once toner, ink or ribbon cartridges have been installed.
•TVs and monitors 20" and higher (Any warranty claim must be taken up with the manufacturer directly).
 Note: Upon delivery, please inspect the TV and insure that it is not physically damaged and in operable condition. DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV. Once you sign for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product as is. If the merchandise is damaged, please make the notation on the delivery manifest, and have the person delivering the merchandise sign as a witness to the damages and contact us immediatly to report the damage.
•Underwater photography equipment cannot be returned once they have been used in water.
•Cell phones and smart phones phones will only be accepted for credit or exchange if they register less than 10 minutes cumulative talk time and show no sign of use, defective phones will be exchanged for the same model only.
•Notebooks and computers cannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped.

If the above conditions are not met, Adorama has the right to refuse the return or charge a restocking fee.

Tom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »