April 18, 2014, 11:11:09 PM

Author Topic: Adorama issues anyone? Ever try to return a product?  (Read 11854 times)

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Adorama issues anyone? Ever try to return a product?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
Great to buy from, but just don't ever sell anything.  They told me that my lightly used 1D Mark IV was worth $3000 and that they could give me 70% of that, $2100.  Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NO!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »

CanonCollector

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
They are terrific. I have been buying from them for years and they stand by their products. They take returns back easily if you follow their guidelines and are quick to credit. I use them and B&H interchangeably.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »
My experience has been horrible more than once. Think I'd learn.

Anyone else?

Can you tell me what the problem is? You can email medirectly: Helen@adorama.com (don't forget to include your order number, and if you feel it's relevant, forward me any email exchanges which you have maybe found not to be helpful)

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »

I bought and returned some items with them - No problem. My most recent purchase with Adoroma is Lowe Pro roller X200 through their Ebay Store -  I offered them $220 + shipping and they accepted my offer. Item arrived safely and it's brand new.

http://www.adorama.com/LPPRLX200.html

Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Adorama Return Policy

Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.

I can see why this might be an unpopular policy, so I'd like to explain; when we offer 'free' shipping (not really 'free', cos someone has to pay it, ie Adorama), it's like us offering you a discount on the goods or a gift.
If we were giving you a couple of 'free' batteries as a gift with your order, and you returned the order because you changed your mind, you wouldn't be upset with us if we hoped to get the batteries back as well - I assume?
It's the same with the shipping. We use part of what would otherwise be profit for us - we are a business, after all - to cover the cost of the shipping. If you return the item to us we potentially lose twice over; once because we can no longer sell the item as new and again if we don't ask you to cover the shipping cost that we gave you as a 'gift' WITH the order.

Can you imagine how many people could potentially abuse the free shipping alongside the 30-day returns period to 'rent' goods from us? (Actually, a number already do....) Ultimately, the price is paid by everyone else.

Not sure if I've explained it clearly, so please don't hesitate to email me directly if I haven't!  ;) Helen@adorama.com
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

LSV

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:23 PM »
Adorama's free shipping policy is fair and reasonable when it comes to returns. No business would give you free shipping on your returns, absolutely NONE; they may even charge you a re-stocking fee.  The original poster owes Adorama an apology for his post.  Please post an apology soon.

sure shot

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
There are some good sales people there and some absolutely terrible ones.
I recently purchased a TS-24mm and the girl at the check out was so rude and obnoxious.
I also purchased a 600EX-RT and specifically asked the sales guy to make sure it wasn't a demo copy, return or anything like that. Box comes up, flap is torn with no instruction manual. Needless to say I asked for another copy.
With regards to the used departments, both Adorama and BandH are pretty annoying to deal with. Better just to sell your gear privately on eBay/Forums.

Helen, however is top notch and has always been very helpful with any queries I have had.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
Adorama's free shipping policy is fair and reasonable when it comes to returns. No business would give you free shipping on your returns, absolutely NONE; they may even charge you a re-stocking fee.  The original poster owes Adorama an apology for his post.  Please post an apology soon.
I have no issue with Adorama's charge for returns, however, if I get a defective product, Amazon sends me a return label, and I do get free shipping from Amazon.  I recently had to return a defective item to Newegg, and they also paid return shipping.  So, yes, some major onliine sellers do pay for return shipping of defective products, but  not if you just changed your mind.

SiliconVoid

• Canon AE-1
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
Never had a problem with Adorama as far as retail purchases. I have only had to send one defective item back and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label. Part of the op problem may have been that Adorama may not felt the issue was due to a product defect. In that regard I would not expect any merchant to pay for shipping on an item I simply did not like - unless that is an advertised policy of course. As for any restocking fees, or shipping charges/deductions, you can almost always talk them into waving those if you are going to purchase something else.

I stated above I have 'never' had any problems with Adorama, but I must clarify that in regard to their used items, or items you are selling to them. On their used items it is not that they are 'unfair' in the implied sense, but you do not get all the same amenities you do with new products. To many that may be acceptable, but I think there should be no difference. I have purchased used items from many other merchants where after the sale support and service was no different at all.

If you are selling them something though you need to exercise a little caution. When the representative contacts you to discuss the estimated 'value' of the item, you have to dig unnecessarily to get them to give you the actual amount they will calculate their offer to you. For example you send them an item that they are currently selling (used) for $1000, they receive the item and contact you to let you know the item you sent them has a value of $700. That sounds great because you calculate in your head that they apparently mark up around 35% or so, and most of the people I have spoken with have gotten the same impression they are being offered $700 for an item Adorama sells used for $1000 (in the same condition of course). HOWEVER, what the representative is telling you is that they 'project' the value of the item you sent will be worth $700 in the next 30-60 days (even though they are still selling ones they have for $1000) so after they check out your item you are contacted with their offer that is 60-70% of the $700, NOT of their current selling price of $1000. Now I am not saying that the whole process is calculated on Adorama's part, but it does take more effort than it should to get them to explain that in advance.

The only reason I even mentioned anything about selling them your old equipment is because I experienced it first hand with a "like new" D300s, and was explained how Adorama offers the highest dollar on used equipment, the dropping value, etc, etc.. Then  Adorama turns around and lists my camera online at even more than the one they had online before I sent them mine. (Had a friend call them with a story of internal issues that could be identified through the serial number series so they would give him the serial number of the camera listed online.) Practices like that just do not sit well with me...

I will not attempt to sell Adorama anything of real value as a result, but I have no issues dealing with them on any retail items and shop there all the time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:15:05 PM by SiliconVoid »
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

crasher8

A close 2nd to B&H
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
I have returned an item and they wanted me to pay shipping but I asked and they setup a prepaid label for me. All in all I do not think they have the consistency, customer service level and ease of purchasing that B&H does but they still rank very highly imho. They are a 2nd tier go to for me. No bads here just not as many goods as my favorite.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »
I bought a 5D2 from them in a promo bundle last year and the camera had a constant white pixel. No problem returning just the body and exchange for another. Also purchased a cheap digital audio recorder that was too noisy for my tastes, they took it back no problem. They provided a shipping label to return the 5D2.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, Canon TC 1.4x III

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
As I stated in another thread, I had a big problem with them today.  I declined an offer for the 1D Mark IV and instead of sending it back, they sent me a 5D Mark II.  I contacted them and they said they'd get right on it and then get back with me.  Going on 4 hours now.  I am livid.

CharlieB

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
Four whole hours.... wow. :o

Been dealing with Adorama as preferred vendor #2 since the mid 1990's.  Used to be Calumet #1, then B&H #2.  B&H moved up to #1, Calumet got dropped (too many mistakes... sending wrong items, short dated film, etc).  Adorama took the #2 spot.

Never had an issue.  I think I've only had two returns on items - nothing wrong, just the item wasn't as I thought it would be.   One was an EF lens, I can't remember which.  OTOH, I'm very careful about preserving packaging when opening a shipped in item.  I know I might want to send it back - rare but it happens, and having worked photo retail for a decade, I can appreciate doing the return guys a favor, and avoiding hassles for myself in the process.

B&H also got a lens back once, and I can't remember anything else from them. 

Mistakes happen - when they happen with regularity - such as Calumet sending VPL instead of VPS (we're talking 5 bricks of pro-packs at a whack... wrong stuff... and more than once!  And thats just an example...), then you switch vendors.   

If you treat your (quality) vendor with respect, you'll receive it back from them.  I avoid schlock-houses at all cost, no matter the deal or promise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
There are some good sales people there and some absolutely terrible ones.
I recently purchased a TS-24mm and the girl at the check out was so rude and obnoxious.
I also purchased a 600EX-RT and specifically asked the sales guy to make sure it wasn't a demo copy, return or anything like that. Box comes up, flap is torn with no instruction manual. Needless to say I asked for another copy.
With regards to the used departments, both Adorama and BandH are pretty annoying to deal with. Better just to sell your gear privately on eBay/Forums.

I really REALLY need you to tell me whenever you experience poor service! Names, dates and details: Helen@adorama.com

Every single complaint I receive is investigated thoroughly, and appropriate action is taken. Unless I know, I can't ensure they are dealt with, and they can drift on and on................

Helen, however is top notch and has always been very helpful with any queries I have had.

Thank you!
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »
As I stated in another thread, I had a big problem with them today.  I declined an offer for the 1D Mark IV and instead of sending it back, they sent me a 5D Mark II.  I contacted them and they said they'd get right on it and then get back with me.  Going on 4 hours now.  I am livid.

As I responded in the other thread:

Can I firstly offer a deep apology - and then try to put this into perspective.

We currently have around 26,000 - 27,000 used items in our warehouse, and receive literally hundreds of items for evaluation every day.
I guess this is a reflection of the economic times?

We are currently in the process of training 5 new members of staff to be able to deal with the mammoth increase in trade, and sincerely regret that we are not offering the level of attention to customer care that both we - and our customers - have come to expect from us.
If you are still awaiting a response, please cut your waiting time and contact me directly: Helen@adorama.com with your quote number.

Again my apologies, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Oster
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »