April 19, 2014, 06:09:10 PM

Author Topic: best wide or ultra wide angle lens for crop sensorh  (Read 9666 times)

rt

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: best wide or ultra wide angle lens for crop sensorh
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »
I have the EF-S 10-22mm and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It is an excellent lens.

Never used the Tokina 11-16 so I can't comment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 04:40:22 AM »
Buy the Canon EF-S 10-22 lens.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00:26 AM »
17-40 on a crop is not wide, so I don't recommend it.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:18:36 AM »
Hi, I'm finally ready to add a wide angle lens to my collection.  I mainly want it for landscapes, inside historic houses, and some closeup work (flowers and things).  I was thinking the canon 10-22 but I would love to hear opinions on this or other lenses.

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm will deliver L grade performance in a EF-S mount. For the subject matter you are describing, the premium IQ of the Canon will make it a more satisfying experience than the Tokina. For your planned closeup work, it's worthwhile noting that the Canon has an appreciably closer minimum focus distance.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
Tested Min Focus Distance (Wide / Long)    8.9” / 8.82”

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tokina-11-16mm-f-2.8-AT-X-Pro-DX-Lens-Review.aspx
Tested Min Focus Distance (Wide / Long)    11.89” / 12.28”

-PW

Steve Campbell

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:57 AM »
I have only used the 10-22, but it lived on the cameras I had at the time (Xsi and 60D). It's a very nice lens and there are no problems with the build quality. I switched to full frame eventually and picked up a 17-40, but there isn't much difference in those two lenses.

Menace

• 1D Mark IV
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »
Go with the EFs 10-22 for the crop sensor camera  :)
5D III | 6D
50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Eimajm

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »
I have the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM which I find an excellent lens, it really is sharp and well built. The Canon is 60% more expensive than the Sigma here in the UK and from comparing images is I didn't think was worth the extra cost. It's my only third party lens but is no way inferior to my Canon lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »

chauncey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm sorry but, I cannot understand the fascination with WA lenses. 
A quick look at the MTF characteristics shows their inadequacies.
Using any of the photomerge techniques, IMHO, offers a much superior image.

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
Another happy Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 user here.  My copy is sharp corner-to-corner.  This lens delivers again and again.  I've never tested it against Canon 10-22.  I'm sure the Canon is at least as good.  Bottom line: there are some great choices, and it's hard to go wrong with any of these lenses.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
Using any of the photomerge techniques, IMHO, offers a much superior image.
Except photomerging takes times, and if you are including anything in the scene that moves (wildlife, water, etc), its a big pain to deal with. I'd rather know exactly what my image is going to look like than hope I nailed my photo merges later. Plus, there are some things you can do with the distortion that photo merging can't really match.

The only way I'd agree with you is if we were talking a T/S lens and using it to do the photomerges. But, that's $2k+ I don't have.

my images just looked sharper with the canon, and with landscape shots its much more noticeable.
Weird, I didn't see any difference. I preferred the Canon's autofocus, as I find the Tokina to be slow, but, it's rare that I'm actually using AF in my landscape scenes.

I thought the Tokina had an easier distortion to correct, while the Canon flared less. Both were sharp and great, can't go wrong with either

crasher8

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
An UWA isn't something to drool and spew over, as in fascination, but a good tool in the lens toolbox. PP only takes the photographer out of the equation and makes you a computer manipulator. Not why I pick up a camera.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »
Add in another vote for the Sigma 8-16mm.

Basically, there's 3 Ultrawides worth looking at:
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Get this for indoors, or where you need fast-shutter or low-light. Apparently bad CA (which can be removed in PP if you really want. the mk2 version will allegedly be out this year, with Tokina themselves acknowledging the CA and promising the mk2 will get be better)
Sigma 8-16 f/(we may as well call it a constant f/5.6). Use it outdoors or on a tripod, don't even think about indoors. Widest framing you'll get on any format (shared with the sigma 12-24s on FF).
Canon 10-22. Bit of a compromise between the two, good IQ and medium aperture.

The canon goes for $7-800 on ebay, lucky if you can get one for $600. The Sigma and Tokina go for $5-600, I got my sigma for $475. Yes, there's other versions (2 more sigmas and a tamron), don't bother unless you want to save money (although i'd consider the tamron 'wasting' money, not saving).
The Tokina and Canon you can put filters on, Sigma not (although I do plan on trying with some 4x6 filters when I can afford them.
The canon you can't put on FF, the Tokina I don't know, but the sigma i've taken shots on FF at 15-16mm (when the hood is *just* out of the frame).

As for stitching: been there, done that, got the Ninja. It's really annoying when clouds move and trees shake, which seems to be every frickin time I try to stitch. It also mucks your exposures a lot, and I've had one case of white balance being completely thrown out from flare washing out one frame.
If you like PP, fine, go ahead. But i'm kinda over it...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »