August 01, 2014, 12:32:02 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark 3 - Please help!  (Read 8139 times)

Cinnamon

5D Mark 3 - Please help!
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
I bought a 5D3 to replace a 5D2 and 7D - and feel like the 5D3 images I'm getting after cropping are noticeably softer than those my 5D2 produced! I've heard that complaint from other people, too (seen quite a number of threads, including here at CR) and have seen various responses to that. I have seen other people post and get helpful feedback, so I'd love to get people's opinions on whether they think the hyperlinked pictures are soft when zooming in (up to 100%)? I first noticed softness when zooming in before 100%, and then decided to compare 5DMkII images side to side and definitely felt in a lot of my 5D3 shots it wasn't as sharp...

FYI, this is NOT a RAW software issue that some other people had - I shoot in JPEG, and notice the perceived softness relative to the 5D2 when zooming in on the LCD screen, too. I have NOT yet done any focus micro-adjustment, but still think the shots are able to be analyzed for detail sharpness when zooming in. I had other shots which appeared softer, which I'm not including: I'd rather show what I think are relatively sharp shots, to see if those have more softness than they should.

People, please give me your feedback on whether there is more softness when zooming in than there should be! That being said, please don't add comments about why you shouldn't "pixel peep" or what could be improved about the composition - these aren't the best pictures as these were shots taken purely for posting here.

I am attaching a link to a sampling of various 5D3 photos I've shot. These are SOOC, and haven't been edited. Since I'm throwing in a variety, I am not listing all the camera settings (although I believe when you save the photo to your computer you can see the EXIF data and make judgments accordingly). The lenses I use are the 24-105L, 70-200 2.8 IS II, and 100mm Macro (non-IS).

5D3 Samples: LINK http://www.glenargov.com/Other/5D3-Test/24800438_Zw5jbH#!i=2029849496&k=73Mshxf

5D2 Samples (with same lenses):
http://www.glenargov.com/Other/5D-2-Samples/24804618_8rnbGd

Please get back to me ASAP as I need to make a decision whether to keep the 5D3 or return it. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:11:08 PM by Cinnamon »

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark 3 - Please help!
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »

Cinnamon

Re: 5D Mark 3 - Please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
To clarify - by "soft" I don't mean an issue of sharpness, I'm talking about a lack of detail when zoomed in. Again, these are large JPEGs, not converted RAWs. I generally shoot at smaller apertures for a less shallow depth of field, so while these might not be the best photos, I'm not concerned about issues about focus - I'm concerned about detail from crops.

While I'm not including 5D2 shots in the gallery for comparison, I'm hoping someone commenting would have experience with a 5D2 to compare to. Also, I'm aware at High ISOs the 5D3's noise reduction results in a lack of detail - yet I felt I noticed softness even at low ISOs.

Please give your feedback! Again, not the picture zoomed out, but when zoomed in up to 100% - that's what I'm curious about. Thank you!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:10:46 PM »
sounds like the ham fisted noise reduction possibly try turning it down or off maybe provide some examples?
APS-H Fanboy

Cinnamon

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
Thanks for your feedback! The NR is on its default of 'Standard' - since I think the Noise Reduction really kicks in at high ISOs, and I had seen a lack of sharpness at low ISOs too, it might be something else.

If people think there is no detail softness when zoomed in, it could be my imagination - but again, comparing my 5D3 to 5D2 side by side at 100%, I really felt as if the 5D2 had more detail...

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
The photos you've put up don't seem bad to me.

It does look to me like there is perhaps some haze in the air in some of the city shots, but that is not surprising...maybe the top down bus shot has the beginnings of some flare (were you using your lens hood?).

But without anything to compare to, I can't draw the conclusion that there is anything wrong here.

Could you perhaps do a side by side with your 5D3 and another camera using the same lens so we can compare apples to apples?

Richard Lane

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
I think the shots look fine!  It just looks like you're dealing with some harsh lighting and haze.  A CPL may be useful for some of the building shots, in order to improve saturation and contrast and cut back on haze.  The shots in the shade with the horse and cars look better to me.  You should try to shoot earlier in the morning or find that golden hour later in the day.

The 5DIII isn't going to be that much sharper than the 5DII. 

I would think the main reason to upgrade to the 5DIII would be for; more accurate and faster Auto focus, faster frames per second and improved higher ISO.

Rich

Cinnamon

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »
Glad to hear you don't think they're too bad...yes, I almost always shoot with a lens hood.

Good idea...I'm adding a link to shots with my 5D2 also taken with my 24-105 and 70-200. I know this isn't exactly apples-to-apples, which is partly why I'd love people's feedback on whether they think there is a lack of detail when zooming on my 5D3 samples based on their own experiences with their 5D2. But hopefully it can help make a comparison!

I tried selecting photos that have minimal editing, but a few of these had contrast adjustments...no major cropping (if any at all), so hopefully comparing these zoomed in can help establish a baseline...with that said, I'd love to hear people's thoughts based on their own experiences, too.

Some 5D2 Samples: http://www.glenargov.com/Other/5D-2-Samples/24804618_8rnbGd

Thank you so much everyone who has provided their feedback...I'd love to continue hearing thoughts!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »

Cinnamon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 11:18:43 PM »
I think the shots look fine!  It just looks like you're dealing with some harsh lighting and haze.  A CPL may be useful for some of the building shots, in order to improve saturation and contrast and cut back on haze.  The shots in the shade with the horse and cars look better to me.  You should try to shoot earlier in the morning or find that golden hour later in the day.

The 5DIII isn't going to be that much sharper than the 5DII. 

I would think the main reason to upgrade to the 5DIII would be for; more accurate and faster Auto focus, faster frames per second and improved higher ISO.

Rich

Hey Rich! Thanks so much for posting feedback, I really appreciate that you and the other posters took the time to give thoughtful responses.

Definitely know what you mean regarding harsh lighting and haze - these are definitely not my best photos lol.

I didn't expect the 5D3 pictures to come out much sharper/have more detail when zoomed in than my 5D2, I just was surprised by what I felt was inferior detail when zooming in. I understand Noise Reduction at High ISOs could be the culprit behind some shots appearing a little 'soft' but I was surprised by low ISO shots looking more pixelated when zooming in than my 5D2 shots.

I definitely LOVE the better features of the 5D3 over the 5D2, I just want to make sure people think the shots don't come out looking too pixelated when zoomed in. I've read online some people say they ended up getting another copy of the 5D3 which was sharper - I'd prefer not to do that, which is why I really appreciate people giving their feedback...

ageha

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
5D3 Samples: LINK http://www.glenargov.com/Other/5D3-Test/24800438_Zw5jbH#!i=2029849496&k=73Mshxf

Looks a bit too mushy for a full-frame sensor. Though, I don't think it's a reason to return it. It's still a great camera and I don't think you can get better results from a Canon right now.

Luke

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
Gotta say, I feel the same... Your 5D II pics do look a little better...

I upgraded from a T2i to the 5D III, and thought my 5D III jpg's looked soft.
My raws, once 'finessed' and then converted to jpg look gorgeous though... I wonder if there's some simple setting we're missing...

Hugo Fisher

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Honza Jezdik | Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:28:10 PM »
Read this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/29

citation: "Conclusion - Cons

Destructive noise reduction results in mushy JPEGs, even at base ISO"

My solution: shoot in RAW.
Canon 5D mk III + 1100D | 17-40/4L | 24-70/2.8L | Sigma 35/1,4 Art | 50/1,4 | 85/1,8 | 70-200/2,8L IS II | 580 EX II |  | Wedding and studio photography | www.honzajezdik.cz | www.facebook.com/jezdik.photo

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »
Have you tried any of the following:

Manual Focus and AF on the same scene tripod preferred.  Take off IS when on tripod however.  Shoot RAW to get max sharpness just for this test run.  leave default settings in DPP
Swapping the 5D2 and 5D3 with same lens on tripod - same scene
doing an AFMA if you have software such as Focal or Lens Align.  It is possible the lens is not out of alignment since last used with the 5D

Because the camera is new does not mean it is without fault.  I brought out of the box a new 400mm and the AF mechanism had issues, 580 EX II flash 2 months had issues, and 7D 9 months old the AF motor had issues.  Sure you can send it back but if you have 30 days to return and are local to Canon it might be worth dropping it off (what I did), they found the issues and all is good.  Had camera back in less than 5 days.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

M.ST

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »
Even if you turn off the noise reduction the 5D Mark III add a noise reduction to the images and you lost details.

If you compare ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 images no notice, that with ISO 6400 you lost additional details.

JPG-quality is definitely better if you shoot with the 5D Mark II.

Shoot in RAW and develop the images in DPP or Photoshop CS6.

I report this to Canon four month ago and Canon is not able to optimize the image quality with a firmware update until today. It´s a shame, because we all had payed a lot of money for the 5D Mark III.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:38:01 AM by M.ST »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:07:46 AM »
I don't mean this in an insulting way, but why are you shooting jpegs on that sweet camera?

I agree, that they should still look better than the ones on the mark ii, but still.  You paid all that money for that camera, so why don't you get the most out of it.

I will say that I initially had my sd card backup in jpegs, but when I compared the raw to the jpegs the jpegs looked terrible compared to the raws, so now I just have it backup to raw also.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

Cinnamon

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »

Looks a bit too mushy for a full-frame sensor. Though, I don't think it's a reason to return it. It's still a great camera and I don't think you can get better results from a Canon right now.

Thanks for your response! So you think that while the results are mushy, that's to be expected from a 5D3, and not an issue with mine in particular???

Thanks again

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »