December 18, 2014, 06:13:45 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark 3 - Please help!  (Read 8893 times)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
Re: 5D Mark 3 - Please help!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
5D3 Samples: LINK http://www.glenargov.com/Other/5D3-Test/24800438_Zw5jbH#!i=2029849496&k=73Mshxf

Looks a bit too mushy for a full-frame sensor. Though, I don't think it's a reason to return it. It's still a great camera and I don't think you can get better results from a Canon right now.
There also appears to be quite a bit of moisture in the air on that one, so pointing at a high level, with a telephoto lens will compress all the particles, diffracting the light and therefore softening the image. The most comparable image on the MkII had much less moisture in the air (yet still lacked detail) and was at ISO 100 instead of ISO 400. The image of the alsation I looked at had plenty of detail, despite being at ISO 1000.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:44:46 PM by Kernuak »
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
There are also some soft shots in the 5D2 gallery as well; namely the turtles, the dog lying down in the woods in front of the tree, the dog in the sun with it's mouth open, the bird on the branch, the Dog with the santa hat on. 

I think the 2 best shots in the 5D2 gallery are the first building and helicopter, but after that it's a toss up.

Not including the hazy shot in the 5D3 gallery, I like the dragon fly shot, the buildings with the trees, the dog with his tongue hanging out, the cars. 

Besides the first building shot from the 5D2, "I prefer the colors  and contrast of the 5D3", specifically; the green grass behind the dog, dragon fly, yellow bike cart, blue sky white clouds and green trees)

It's too difficult to compare different cameras, with different lenses, in different lighting.  Heck, just 2 hours will make all the difference in the world when it comes to lighting, and thats with using the same equipment.

If you need the features of the 5D3, then I would go for it, if you don't then I think you might as well keep your  5d2.

Rich
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:03:45 PM by Richard Lane »

HighDefJunkies

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
Most people and reviews tell you to turn off all NR settings, LO, etc. I've seen thousands of jpg pics SOOC (including my own) and they are very sharp.
Your images posted are not the best examples.  I honestly don't think it's the camera. Perhaps you might have have to MA your lens/lenses.
What picture style mode are you shooting in? I tend to bump up the sharpness a little bit more if i shoot jpgs, (though I mainly shoot in RAW) definitley makes a difference.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
why not just shoot in raw and have 1develop preset in lightroom then batch process it all .it will give much better results than the crap in  camera processing and requires little effort
APS-H Fanboy

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
why not just shoot in raw and have 1develop preset in lightroom then batch process it all .it will give much better results than the crap in  camera processing and requires little effort
sorry wickid, i dont always shoot raw but one thing i'll say is Canons noise red in camera is far far far from crap.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »