April 19, 2014, 12:10:28 PM

Author Topic: best filter for shooting portraits (babies)  (Read 3516 times)

dtravels

best filter for shooting portraits (babies)
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:03 AM »
I'm looking at starting to shoot portrait shots of my new child and trying to figure out if I need a filter to help the photos come out better.

any suggestions?

canon rumors FORUM

best filter for shooting portraits (babies)
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:03 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: best filter for shooting portraits (babies)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »
A Filter? 
In the days of film, when we did not have special effects of digital post processing, we had star filters and dozens of other special effects filters.

Now, about the only image modifying filters used are gradient filters to keep from overexposing the sky, or ND filters to allow you to use a wide aperture in bright light.  Polarizing filters will reduce reflections coming from water, and in any situation where the light is polarized.
UV filters, at least good ones should not affect your image.

Perhaps you can post one of your problem images along with the camera settings, and tell us what it is that you want to improve.  The term better looking is very vague.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:50:53 AM by Mt Spokane Photography »

M.ST

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »
You don´t need any filter for shooting portraits. Use the picture style or your own pictures style for portraits if you want only JPG´s.

If you shoot in RAW you have many possibilities to optimize your pictures.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »
I'm looking at starting to shoot portrait shots of my new child and trying to figure out if I need a filter to help the photos come out better.

any suggestions?

It sounds like you need PP with software more than filter in this case. I bought these presets and I like it.

http://www.lightroompresets.com/collections/lightroom-raw-presets/products/dreamy-baby-collection

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:32:38 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

dtravels

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:35 AM »

any suggestions?

It sounds like you need PP with software more than filter in this case. I bought these presets and I like it.

http://www.lightroompresets.com/collections/lightroom-raw-presets/products/dreamy-baby-collection

Oh nice!  Those look great.

Also thinking about protection of the lens -- I'm buying a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 soon.

Is there a high-quality, basic filter I should buy?  Maybe a UV filter instead of no filter?

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:15:13 AM »

any suggestions?

Oh nice!  Those look great.

Also thinking about protection of the lens -- I'm buying a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 soon.

Is there a high-quality, basic filter I should buy?  Maybe a UV filter instead of no filter?

17-55 f2.8 IS is a great lens for crop. For the filter, I have B&W XS Pro NANO MRC Clear filter on all my lenses as a protection. Your lens already have UV coated, no need another UV layer. I guess double better than nothing  ;D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756818-REG/B_W_66_1066111_77mm_XS_Pro_NANO_Clear.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:17:49 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »
For the filter, I have B&W XS Pro NANO MRC Clear filter on all my lenses as a protection. Your lens already have UV coated, no need another UV layer.

But...it doesn't hurt.  For a dSLR, there is really no difference between a UV filter and a clear filter.  I recommend getting whichever one is cheaper/easier to get.

For example, while the 77mm XS-Pro Nano Clear linked above is $115 from B&H, the 77mm XS-Pro Nano UV is only $90 from B&H...so, I'd save the $25 and get the UV version.  Different sizes and different vendors have different pricing for clear vs. UV, so check around.

FWIW, I have B+W MRC UV filters on all my lenses (except the 40/2.8 pancake).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:46:45 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:09:56 AM »
FWIW, I have B+W MRC UV filters on all my lenses (except the 40/2.8 pancake).
Does the shorty-forty not take filters?

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
i didn't use filters at all when shooting babies, but not until they can reach my lens.

77mm is a common size, buy a good one earlier, since filter goes up in price too.....

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »

It does - has a 52mm thread (that also serves as a mount for the dedicated - and basically useless - lens hood).  But I don't use a filter on it for two reasons.  First, the front element is tiny, and the cost of the lens is low.  Second, amd most importantly, the reason I use the 40/2.8 is for portability - it's a thin enough lens that when mounted on the camera, I can slip the setup into a Lowepro Utility Bag 100 AW, and that can go inside my laptop satchel, etc.  Likewise, when shooting with another lens, the 40/2.8 easily fits in a pocket.  Adding a filter would make it slightly thicker, enough to limit the utility, IMO (the lens protrudes such a short distance from the body than even a 3.4mm XS-Pro filter is a significant proportion of that thickness!).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »

It does - has a 52mm thread (that also serves as a mount for the dedicated - and basically useless - lens hood).  But I don't use a filter on it for two reasons.  First, the front element is tiny, and the cost of the lens is low.  Second, amd most importantly, the reason I use the 40/2.8 is for portability - it's a thin enough lens that when mounted on the camera, I can slip the setup into a Lowepro Utility Bag 100 AW, and that can go inside my laptop satchel, etc.  Likewise, when shooting with another lens, the 40/2.8 easily fits in a pocket.  Adding a filter would make it slightly thicker, enough to limit the utility, IMO (the lens protrudes such a short distance from the body than even a 3.4mm XS-Pro filter is a significant proportion of that thickness!).

I actually take this one step further and don't even use a lens cap on the shorty forty. It's such an inexpensive lens that any 'resale' value is meaningless, so I don't even care about the front element (within reason of course). It took a little getting used to, but I've found it strangely liberating to forego that extra .6 of a second in removing the lens cap before shooting.  :o

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
I've found it strangely liberating to forego that extra .6 of a second in removing the lens cap before shooting.  :o
Like an iPhone, ready to go right outta the bag!

mdm041

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »
I agree to just get a UV or Clear filter.  I would say that if you can find a well priced one that is made of brass then I would do that.  I've had one get stuck before and the brass are simple enough to get off since it is so soft.  Others could cost a nice penny to have fixed.
5D III, 7D, 16-35 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8L, 50 F1.4
70-200 F2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »