November 28, 2014, 04:49:28 AM

Author Topic: 1dX dust in viewfinder  (Read 14377 times)

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 1dX dust in viewfinder
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »
Thanks, Darrin.

Shawn L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »
I've experienced the same kind of issue with my copy. The only difference is that I've got only one irritating speckle in the viewfinder which is always noticeable. It doesn't look like dust, but Canon-authorized service center wants to charge $250 to remove the speckle. Official response from the service center is: "Dust and dirt in the block of mirrors due to careless use".

Attached image is a reproduction of how I remember the speckle (dark long line). Could anyone confirm that this is likely to be my fault or is there a chance that it is an internal oil / lubricant particle?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
I've experienced the same kind of issue with my copy. The only difference is that I've got only one irritating speckle in the viewfinder which is always noticeable. It doesn't look like dust, but Canon-authorized service center wants to charge $250 to remove the speckle. Official response from the service center is: "Dust and dirt in the block of mirrors due to careless use".

Attached image is a reproduction of how I remember the speckle (dark long line). Could anyone confirm that this is likely to be my fault or is there a chance that it is an internal oil / lubricant particle?
Anyone?

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 02:55:38 AM »
that almsot looks like a fiber of soem kind- kinda hard to tell though from small photo- most likely oil spots or particle spots from the defective mirror box assembly would be rounder- although an oil splotch could smear out liek that- but it does rather look liek a fiber of soem kind-

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
Today I noticed some black specs in the viewfinder of my new 5D Mark III. I decided to take a relatively powerful rocket blower to the focusing screen and blow them away, but it was no use. In fact it seems a little worse and now there is a tiny hair lodged in one corner. Not really very noticeable but still, I hate it when new equipment turns out not to be 'perfect'. I compared the situation to the viewfinder of my Mk II and it, too has some black specs that built up over the years (it was perfectly clean when I got it). The situation in both camera's is now similar save the little tiny hair in the Mk III and I know now that I should leave it as there is a change I might make it worse, after all it's not possible to take the focusing screen out of the Mk III and I'm afraid I'll blow the tiny hair further into the viewfinder (it may be behind the focusing screen already). Just go out and shoot, and accept the inevitability of dust building up in the camera despite careful use... But still I feel the pain...
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 05:32:09 AM »
Today I noticed some black specs in the viewfinder of my new 5D Mark III. I decided to take a relatively powerful rocket blower to the focusing screen and blow them away, but it was no use. In fact it seems a little worse and now there is a tiny hair lodged in one corner. Not really very noticeable but still, I hate it when new equipment turns out not to be 'perfect'. I compared the situation to the viewfinder of my Mk II and it, too has some black specs that built up over the years (it was perfectly clean when I got it). The situation in both camera's is now similar save the little tiny hair in the Mk III and I know now that I should leave it as there is a change I might make it worse, after all it's not possible to take the focusing screen out of the Mk III and I'm afraid I'll blow the tiny hair further into the viewfinder (it may be behind the focusing screen already). Just go out and shoot, and accept the inevitability of dust building up in the camera despite careful use... But still I feel the pain...

This is inevitable with a fixed screen camera. Rule of thumb: if the dust is dark and sharp it's on the inside, if it's soft and blurred it's on the outside. Gentle blowing may dislodge it from the outside; aggressive blowing can push it inside. Brushing the screen with a lens brush can charge the screen with static turning it into a dust magnet.
One of the little camera vacuum cleaners is best. Dust in a modern DSLR is to be avoided, not because of the screen, where it has no effect, but you don't want a dusty AF sensor.

I much prefer cameras that have user interchangeable screens for this reason. They get dirt on the inside of the screen more quickly but at least you can whip it out and give it a blow. With a fixed screen camera you just have to ignore dust specs on the inside and then maybe have the camera cleaned by a proper service centre every year or so.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »

This is inevitable with a fixed screen camera. Rule of thumb: if the dust is dark and sharp it's on the inside, if it's soft and blurred it's on the outside. Gentle blowing may dislodge it from the outside; aggressive blowing can push it inside. Brushing the screen with a lens brush can charge the screen with static turning it into a dust magnet.
One of the little camera vacuum cleaners is best. Dust in a modern DSLR is to be avoided, not because of the screen, where it has no effect, but you don't want a dusty AF sensor.

I much prefer cameras that have user interchangeable screens for this reason. They get dirt on the inside of the screen more quickly but at least you can whip it out and give it a blow. With a fixed screen camera you just have to ignore dust specs on the inside and then maybe have the camera cleaned by a proper service centre every year or so.

Thanks, I guess I have to accept it as is; am just a little mad at myself trying to resolve the issue by blowing onto the focus screen and now have made it a little worse. Should have consulted the forum before but treated the situation like it was my 5D2.

My 7D also has no interchangeable screen but I never felt it had dirt to the extent that I wanted to try to remove it; that camera however has a little speck of dust behind the rear lens of the viewfinder. On my 5D2 which has an interchangeable focus screen It was completely clean when I bought it and then managed to  install my precision matte screen without any dust entrapment so with that camera at least my need for 'perfection' was satisfied when it was new.

At least the shutter is normally closed when you take off the lens and use a blower inside the camera, so I hope my sensor is still clean.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:50:54 AM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »

Canonite

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 05:29:45 AM »
Why don't you just remove the screen, clean it and reinstall it?

Here are instructions on how to remove the screen.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d3en.htm

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

Thanks, but that's the type of extensive operation I prefer to keep until it becomes absolutely necessary to clean the screen...

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »

According to the feedback from service center particles are in the mirror box, not on the focusing screen.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »

According to the feedback from service center particles are in the mirror box, not on the focusing screen.

I guess nothing in life is perfect, now we have to accept that and live with it ;)

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
For those who have to send the camera away for cleaning, how do you pack it? And then how do you ship it (UPS, FedEx, next day, etc)?

I've never shipped a camera to Canon, but I've loaned a 7D to a friend.  Wrap it in bubble wrap, then place that in a box large enough for a few inches of packing material on all sides.  If sending to Canon, do not include anything but the camera (no battery, no strap, etc.), ship it with the body cap installed. 

Ship UPS or FedEx so you can get a tracking number that means something (USPS reports delivery, but does not actually track regular shipments).  Enter the proper declared value and pay the insurance.

Probably a little late here, but it is worth mentioning that all of the freight companies have packaging guidelines.

If these packaging guidelines are not followed, the freight companies will not pay out on the insurance that you paid for in the event of damage. Actual loss is different if the package is not recovered. I have received "improperly packaged" damaged freight that was insured (and coverage refused) and have had packages outright disappear from UPS (only once, but I would have been SOL if I didn't insist on insurance from the shipper, and the investigation took a month).

If you do not have a shipping account, insurance gets expensive pretty quickly. In my experience, the local shipping depots in the strip malls mark up insurance rates 2x over doing it yourself online (which are still overly expensive retail rates), as long as the coverage limit isn't reached. UPS, USPS and FedEx all have insurance limits for online transactions and UPS has additional forms that must be filled out by a UPS employee once a certain threshold is reached (route driver or UPS depot- the strip mall centers don't count).

The replacement value of a 5DIII and a 70-200 II lens can come close to the insurance limits for retail customers.

Big companies shipping expensive stuff may not insure the packages- they have separate insurance to cover loss and the cost of shipping is exceeded by the cost of the carrier insurance rates.

For those that ship camera stuff regularly, it may be worthwhile checking into a shipping rider for your insurance.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »