December 19, 2014, 01:43:49 AM

Author Topic: 1D X won't wake from sleep  (Read 5204 times)

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
1D X won't wake from sleep
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
I've been a long time watcher of the canonrumors and forum websites. My first post here.

I'm trying to narrow down a problem I am having with my 1D X and EF 180 f3.5 L Macro being used with the EF 1.4x III Extender. If the camera goes into sleep mode it won't wake up by pushing the shutter button. Turning the power switch OFF and back to ON the camera is unresponsive (it won't turn back ON). Removing the lens and Extender from the camera and reattaching them, the camera comes back to normal operation. Also removing the lens from the Extender (leaving the Extender on the camera) operation comes back. (Edit: Turning the camera OFF and back ON before it goes into sleep also results in normal operation.) With the Macro lens alone operation is normal.

I have tried this combination of lens and Extender on my 7D and 5D Mark III and it works perfectly. Using the Extender with my EF 500mm f4 L IS and EF 70-200 f2.8 L II IS on the 1D X, again operation is normal.

Does anyone have this combination of lens, camera and Extender who could duplicate what I am seeing?

I have contacted Canon through E-mails and they don't have a resolution for me yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:37:34 PM by Waterloo »

canon rumors FORUM

1D X won't wake from sleep
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X won't wake from sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
I've been a long time watcher of the canonrumors and forum websites. My first post here.

I'm trying to narrow down a problem I am having with my 1D X and EF 180 f3.5 L Macro being used with the EF 1.4x III Extender. If the camera goes into sleep mode it won't wake up by pushing the shutter button. Turning the power switch OFF and back to ON the camera is unresponsive (it won't turn back ON). Removing the lens and Extender from the camera and reattaching them, the camera comes back to normal operation. Also removing the lens from the Extender (leaving the Extender on the camera) operation comes back. With the Macro lens alone operation is normal.

I have tried this combination of lens and Extender on my 7D and 5D Mark III and it works perfectly. Using the Extender with my EF 500mm f4 L IS and EF 70-200 f2.8 L II IS on the 1D X, again operation is normal.

Does anyone have this combination of lens, camera and Extender who could duplicate what I am seeing?

I have contacted Canon through E-mails and they don't have a resolution for me yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

You may have discovered a new bug.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Yes, if someone else can confirm that the problem is consistent with my what I am seeing. Canon seems to be unaware at this point.

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »
I have noticed the same difficulty in waking the camera body from sleep mode with most lenses of mine. Up till now it happened several times with the fisheye, the 70-200 mm, the 135 mm f/2 and the 400 mm prime as well... did not enjoy that one during a fast-paced waterpolo match...

Richard Lane

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »
How long do you guys have the Auto Power Off set for?  Why don't you just set the timer longer for now.

I have all of my cameras set for 15 minutes, so I haven't noticed any problems.  The batteries last very long regardless.

However, I agree it should wake up with the shutter press.

Rich

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
How long do you guys have the Auto Power Off set for?  Why don't you just set the timer longer for now.

I have all of my cameras set for 15 minutes, so I haven't noticed any problems.  The batteries last very long regardless.

However, I agree it should wake up with the shutter press.

Rich
Yes that is the obvious workaround. Set the Auto Power Off to a longer time or completely disable it at least with that lens Extender combination.

When I get a chance I am going to borrow my friends Extenders (1.4 and 2x) and see if the problem still persists.

Richard Lane

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
Yes, of course. :)

If you tell me how long you have the shut off set for I'll try it on mine!

Also note if the power switch was turned to On or Lock, before power off.  It shouldn't matter, if you're using the shutter button to wake up the camera, but if it's a bug then we need to check both.

I wonder if it's related to the AFMA bug?  Do you have AFMA in conjunction with AF points linked to orientation?

Rich
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:54:02 PM by Richard Lane »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:07:10 PM »
I have mine set to 1 minute, and the battery drains quite quickly, 10 hours of shooting and it is down and out. My switch is usually On or Off, mostly never in lock position.

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »
Yes, of course. :)

If you tell me how long you have the shut off set for I'll try it on mine!

Also note if the power switch was turned to On or Lock, before power off.  It shouldn't matter, if you're using the shutter button to wake up the camera, but if it's a bug then we need to check both.

I wonder if it's related to the AFMA bug?  Do you have AFMA in conjunction with AF points linked to orientation?

Rich

I had it set to both 1 and 2 minutes and the power switch to ON. AFMA wasn't set for that lens when I discovered the problem. I have since set the AFMA as an "experiment" and have seen no difference. Also the Orientation Linked AF Point is set to Same for Both.

Cannon Man

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
I had that issue a few times on my other 1DIV but it was only that day and never came back again.

I keep all my cameras at 1 sec sleep.

Richard Lane

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
I don't have the 180mm macro, so far I tried it with the 135mm f/2 +1.4XII @ 1 min and 2 min and I couldn't reproduce the problem.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
When the 1DX wouldn't wake from sleep, are you sure you didn't try this on a Monday moring?  ;D ;D ;D
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
Some more observations: If the camera "locks up" and won't come out of sleep removing the battery briefly will reset it. And, I just returned from my friends house where I tried her Extender 1.4x III (same as mine) with the 180 Macro and the results were exactly the same. I also tried the 8 lenses I own, 3 of which will take an Extender and still the not waking only happens with the 180 Macro and the 1.4x III Extender combination.

I also just received an E-mail from Canon saying they had never seen this problem and to send the camera, lens and Extender to them. They did not offer to pay for the shipping and insurance. If they have never seen the problem then how can they fix it? I "firmly" believe it is a firmware problem and I am not willing to be a Guinea Pig and have them sit on my equipment until Canon Japan comes out with updated firmware. In the meantime I have 2 workarounds: Change the Power Off settings or use the 180 Macro and Extender on my 5D Mark III where I should probably be using it anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
Thanks for reporting this issue!  It sounds like you may have found another bug in the firmware.

If I understand you correctly it happened on your friends 1DX, her 1.4xIII, but you used your 180mm Macro, and not hers?

It would be great if others can test this with the same set-up above as you did, just in case something is wrong with your Canon 180mm Macro lens.  I understand it works on your 5DIII, but you know how these bugs work. :)

Can others please test this combination and report it back here and/or to Canon?

Thanks,
Rich

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
No, I wasn't clear on that. The only variable was the use of her Extender. Otherwise it was my 1D x and 180 Macro. We also tried her II series 2x Extender and it worked normally as expected since the II series does not have the "chip" in it.

Yes, I was hoping to get someone else to verify what I am seeing. I can't be the only one in the world who has this combination of camera, lens and Extender.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »