November 23, 2014, 11:21:45 PM

Author Topic: 1D X won't wake from sleep  (Read 5136 times)

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X won't wake from sleep
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »
I have only an older Mark II 2x extender, which I sometimes use with my 180mm. I have not had any problems with that combination on my 1DX. I can't say, if there is any difference in the Mark III extenders that may not be perfectly matched to such an old lens design as the 180mm. I am not sure, but since you have found no issues combining the new extender with newer lenses or combining an older extender with the same lens and body there may be an issue here with gear not being as optimized for each other as you would wish for.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
Some more to add to the saga. I played around with the 1D X and reset everything to the factory defaults with no effect on the sleep issue. I have found removing the battery briefly will also reset the camera. And, I just got back from another friends house where we tried her Extender EF 2x III and it displays the same problem of the camera not coming out of sleep. The 2x III and my 180 Macro on her 7D and the operation was normal. It appears to me that the culprit is the 1D X and that it doesn't play well with the Series III extenders and the 180 Macro.

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »
I have only an older Mark II 2x extender, which I sometimes use with my 180mm. I have not had any problems with that combination on my 1DX. I can't say, if there is any difference in the Mark III extenders that may not be perfectly matched to such an old lens design as the 180mm. I am not sure, but since you have found no issues combining the new extender with newer lenses or combining an older extender with the same lens and body there may be an issue here with gear not being as optimized for each other as you would wish for.
I don't think it's a wish at all. I think it's an expectation when you are dealing with Canon's "Flagship" camera. If two of their lower tier cameras can work properly and as expected why can't their top tier camera do the same? Clearly Canon hasn't thouroughly tested the 1D X and some things have slipped through the cracks.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
You are actually expecting too much. We are not living in a world, where companies invest insane amounts of money into testing their products, before they eventually get to market. It took Canon long enough as it is.

Think about development procedures.

Canon definitely tested many lenses and lens plus extender combinations with the 1D-X. We know this from the autofocus documentation.

If you have to go through something like that in Q&A you will not likely spend a lot of time for each combination, trying to get through the procedure within good time. Will your test camera body go to sleep during such tests? I dare say it will not. Otherwise, managers may be less then happy with the work performance of those testing the combinations.

I propose a simple workaround: Configure the camera to fall asleep later. Apart from that you can still get the old extenders (used, if need be) and those are not exactly costly either.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:26:37 AM by AmbientLight »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »
Sleeping Beauty! Kiss the camera...
What is truth?

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
So, it appears the end user has been delegated as the final tester of the product......

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
So, it appears the end user has been delegated as the final tester of the product......
Welcome ... to the real world!

Sure, we are all testers. Even with the resources that Canon has, it is not possible to test all combinations, all possibilities, all firmware setting, all shooting situations. How many combinations can you imagine up?

This is not just Canon having a problem - everyone in the electronics/software businesses (and since cameras went digital, they're practically a computer) has this. And then think of the guys who have to test for interoperability with other vendors, whose products have idiosyncratic bugs but YOU have to work around, 'cause "they are big guys, so your design must be wrong".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
You know I don't really disagree with any of the responses to this post. My only intent of the post was to find out if anyone else was seeing the sleep issue I've seen. If enough people were seeing it we could then make it known to Canon and ask for a fix.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
You can safely expect they know it by now.

There are not like a million such forums to confuse anyone, so at least some Canon employees are likely to read what is posted here.

That is not to say that Canon will react with the next firmware update or anything like that, but you can assume that they will be aware.

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
This is from my last E-mail correspondance with Canon today:

"We appreciate your continued correspondence regarding your EOS-1D X, Extender EF 1.4x III and EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM lens.

Thank you very much for the very detailed information.  This is extremely helpful to us.  I have forwarded this information along to the appropriate party to have this looked into.  Again, thank you for taking the time to conduct these detailed tests.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS-1D X, Extender EF 1.4x III and EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM lens. Thank you for choosing Canon."

So, it does appear they are listening. Let's see what transpires.

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »
... So, it does appear they are listening. Let's see what transpires.

I wouldn't wait for a solution in the nearest month after they spotted the issue. To apply the fix the whole round of checks should be repeated again and it usually takes a lot of time.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Richard Lane

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
This is from my last E-mail correspondance with Canon today:

"We appreciate your continued correspondence regarding your EOS-1D X, Extender EF 1.4x III and EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM lens.

Thank you very much for the very detailed information.  This is extremely helpful to us. 

Thanks for the update!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »
The 1Dx fell into a coma. :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »
The 1Dx fell into a coma. :o

No. I think it would be better classified as narcolepsy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »