July 22, 2014, 03:22:13 AM

Author Topic: More Big Megapixel Talk  (Read 16719 times)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
Re: More Big Megapixel Talk
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
what about the camera outside this pyramid?  :o ;D

it doesn't seem to me that they were looking for symmetry.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
I keep hearing mirrorless.  Does anyone want a mirrorless camera like that?  Why would yu spend that kind of money on a mirrorless camera?  What pro wants to be looking through the LCD?

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but why would canon make a billion dollar mirrorless?

X2

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »
What are the cameras in the pyramid?
What is truth?

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
My 2c.

The right hand side of the triangle represents mirrorless. The EOS-M is totally within this section as it is totally mirrorless. The 650D is half on the mirrorless section as it has composite auto-focus for video and liveview mode.

"What goes here?" - a new camera.
"What does this little arrow mean?" - the new camera will be either fully mirrorless or at least have composite phase/contrast auto-focus like the 650D does.

As opposed to partially mirrorless?   ;)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
This is hard to predict.  I didn't predict that Canon would try to "merge" the 1D and 1Ds lines together.  Well, they almost did, but not quite.  There can be no 1Ds Mark IV obviously, but the features of a ficticious one are nowhere to be found in a current model.  The question remains as to where Canon puts this in ranking vs. the 1DX and 5D3.  No way a 40mp camera will be $2000.  I predict it will be like the 1D Mark IV which fell in price between the 1Ds Mark III and the 5D Mark II.  I'm predicting only having enough features that it will be about $5k.  On the other hand, it is interesting to note that when both the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 came out, they were both $8k and when the 1DX came out, only $6800.  So really, it's a toss up at this point.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
I wonder if the Canon marketing people will embrace the Apple style of version numbering...   I.e. dump it and just have product ranges and call a new one just "the new Canon 1Dx" etc ?
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 15 stops to Heaven
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
I wonder if the Canon marketing people will embrace the Apple style of version numbering...   I.e. dump it and just have product ranges and call a new one just "the new Canon 1Dx" etc ?

I don't see it happening. Branding is important both to Canon and photographers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »

jouster

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
I'm not sure if anything goes next to the 1DX on the right.

Look at the presentation - apart from the middle tier with 4 cameras, the 4 3 1 makes a pyramid.

If the 1DX was centered, it would ruin the entire aesthetic of the page.

The aesthetic is already ruined. If they want it to look pretty, they need to move it over to the right!

Or, release something for that gaping hole in the graphic.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
I'm not sure if anything goes next to the 1DX on the right.

Look at the presentation - apart from the middle tier with 4 cameras, the 4 3 1 makes a pyramid.

If the 1DX was centered, it would ruin the entire aesthetic of the page.

The aesthetic is already ruined. If they want it to look pretty, they need to move it over to the right!

Or, release something for that gaping hole in the graphic.

Exactly that's my point and on that basis there are actually two gaps to be filled, both on the right hand side....... don't ya just love a slow news day  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:15:39 PM by zim »

Musouka

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »
The 1DZ (or should that be the 1DY?) is coming soon, folks. Remember, you heard it here first.  8)

Z would of course stand for 'Zenith' but if it's a Y then we can hear the echo of fans reiterating 'Y So Late?'  :P

I will be looking forward to seeing those partially non-mirroless cameras  ;D

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
The 1DZ (or should that be the 1DY?) is coming soon, folks. Remember, you heard it here first.  8)

Z would of course stand for 'Zenith' but if it's a Y then we can hear the echo of fans reiterating 'Y So Late?'  :P

I will be looking forward to seeing those partially non-mirroless cameras  ;D

Musouka, I have to do it:

PARTIALLY MIRRORLESS:

2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »

F1(n) -> New F1

Apple didn't even invent that one!

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
How about calling it '1DA' so we can look forward to another 36 years of dripping roast upgrades  ::) :P

sorry, sorry I really just couldn't help that one  ;) ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »

Bengt Nyman

• Power Shot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
Why would you spend that kind of money on a mirrorless camera?
The mirror, its inaccurate focusing plane and its slapping around are what prevents digital cameras from reaching the next level of resolution and accuracy. The 36 MP Nikon D600(E) is presently both camera of the year and Nikon's biggest headache. The era of the DSLR, the mechanical slapper box, is rapidly coming to a close.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »
I keep hearing mirrorless.  Does anyone want a mirrorless camera like that?  Why would yu spend that kind of money on a mirrorless camera?  What pro wants to be looking through the LCD?

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but why would canon make a billion dollar mirrorless?

The Single Lens Reflex was the solution to the viewfinder problem in interchangeable lens FILM cameras.  The only reason it sticks around is a combination of tradition and conservatism.  It is a solution to a rapidly vanishing problem.

Remember that before the SLR, the vast majority of interchangeable lens cameras were viewfinder types.  The viewfinder was good for only one focal length; once you changed lenses, either you needed a separate viewfinder or a corrective optic that you looked through.  Both solutions were unsatisfactory (and suffered from parallax), but it was all we had before the SLR.  The only other styles were of course the view camera (where the SLR idea came from I imagine) and the TLR (where you had two lenses, and hence twice the cost).

Today, there is no need to look through the lens when the sensor can provide a perfect view to an electronic viewfinder.

You might still want a shutter curtain (doing it electronically isn't always the best answer), but there is no reason that a shutter couldn't still be there, it would just reverse the operation.  Push the capture button and the curtain closes, then reopens to see the view again.

I for one would consider a FF mirrorless to replace my 5D3 in due course, provided it has all the same capabilities (particularly the high ISO and frame rate).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »