October 22, 2014, 08:22:29 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Firmware?  (Read 5416 times)

hippoeater

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
5D Mark III Firmware?
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
There hasn't been any chatter on this lately - it seems to just have died off. I thought there was word of a HUGE firmware upgrade coming to the Mark III in July?

Has there been any other official / non official talk of when it's coming / what it may contain?

Thanks!
RX-1

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Firmware?
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »

mikiort

Re: 5D Mark III Firmware?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
I don't believe that there is any particular reason for such HUGE firmware upgrade.
After all, firmware upgrades are supposed to address some bugs or any particular issues with the device and I haven't heard about any of such bugs or issues with the camera.

hippoeater

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
I wasn't stating that it *needed* one , I was just following up on what was reported here :

New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]
MAY 9, 2012 CANON 5D MARK III, CANON FIRMWARE FOLLOW ON OUR FORUM

Scheduled
There is apparently going to be new 5D Mark III firmware before the end of May. It will address a few bugs, as well as adding some “features”. No mention of what the features might be. It was mentioned there is a possibility of a bug fix firmware update before the “feature” update, a two part strategy if you will.

There have been no mentions of additional features for video.
RX-1

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
I wasn't stating that it *needed* one , I was just following up on what was reported here :

Scheduled
There is apparently going to be new 5D Mark III firmware before the end of May. It will address a few bugs, as well as adding some “features”. No mention of what the features might be. It was mentioned there is a possibility of a bug fix firmware update before the “feature” update, a two part strategy if you will.

There have been no mentions of additional features for video.
I do not think that a "Huge" firmware update was being implied.  We were hoping for a fix that would light up the AF points, and there are some minor bugs reported.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
I wonder if those rumours actually ended up being for the 7D and got mixed up ?

mikiort

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
Yes, I see, but somehow, I think that the firmware the was promised "Before the End of May" we already had. And it is 1.1.3.
So, it is an old news already, unless they were talking about the New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May 2013...  ;)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
Chuck Westfall talks about two major changes people have left Canon the most comments on about the firmware for the 1dx & 5dm3. That is around 8:30 on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8EIdV4mAcpo#

I too have wondered where this firmware update is. Chuck does mention that they don't want to do updates right away but to gather all the information they are getting before moving forward. Chuck said this after earlier mentioning the firmware bug fi they got out in the first month, so it is my thinking this is a diff update.

Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
There hasn't been any chatter on this lately - it seems to just have died off. I thought there was word of a HUGE firmware upgrade coming to the Mark III in July?

Has there been any other official / non official talk of when it's coming / what it may contain?

Thanks!

It sure would be nice if it contained focus peaking/100% zoom overlay box to help with video focusing, zebras for exposure blow out and 1920x1080 1.6x crop perfect video zoom mode and a higher power, if no longer perfect, video zoom mode.  Oh and removed the absurd restrictions on AutoISO, Canon has had more than a decade and still hasn't finished dribbling out a fully usable version below 1 series when every other company has had it on their cheapest of cheap already for years but heavens if Canon ever tried to deliver a camera that did all that it could.

Anyway I'm starting to lose faith that there will be one. :(
Very bad. Very bad.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:50 PM »
And if they did go the app route, the extra sales they'd get I'm sure would way more than make up for any extra reps to help deal with that since they'd make Nikon and the others look old hat and left in the dust.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
I think Canon are working on fixing the AF points lighting up issues and the next firmware will likely try to fix that issue.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Brendon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Site
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
I really hope they are working on the AF lighting fix.  I used my 5Diii for the first time last weekend at a wedding and the non-lit point drove me nuts in the dark reception hall.  It was especially bad trying to use AI focus with people dancing. 

If they have a problem with the exposure meter getting tricked by the lighted points, I would be perfectly happy with them only lighting up in manual mode!!!

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
I really hope they are working on the AF lighting fix.  I used my 5Diii for the first time last weekend at a wedding and the non-lit point drove me nuts in the dark reception hall.  It was especially bad trying to use AI focus with people dancing. 

If they have a problem with the exposure meter getting tricked by the lighted points, I would be perfectly happy with them only lighting up in manual mode!!!

Yeah, I'd like them lit too.  If they do affect metering, if you are in manual mode, don't set ISO to auto :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
The shocking thing to me is all the camera beta tester photographers that used the 1dx and 5dm3 professionally in their journalistic businesses had to say whoa, this is messed up i am used to always having confirmation my focus point is where i want it to be. Seriously Jeff Ascough and Brent Stirlton being in ever changing environments surely aren't center point only guys yet Canon pushes it out. I am aware the 7d had this but i doubt canon would ask pros to test it and use it for their high end photography needs. None the less i would love to have been in the design room at Canon when they decided to weigh the benefits and down sides of this type of display system. Some guy at the top prob thought we would just adjust so send it thru. That same guy prob needs a tech guy to show him how to shoot a 1d in "P" mode.

Also the other major request as quoted by Chuck was the image zoom button not being on the side by the shutter like all their cameras before was something Chuck seemed to suggest, he knows its a big rant but he will leave it up to the engineers to decide the fate of that feature. I personally have been using the set button and it automatically zooms in really close so i can view if i have achieved critical focus or not.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:43:27 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »
Also the other major request as quoted by Chuck was the image zoom button not being on the side by the shutter like all their cameras before was something Chuck seemed to suggest, he knows its a big rant but he will leave it up to the engineers to decide the fate of that feature. I personally have been using the set button and it automatically zooms in really close so i can view if i have achieved critical focus or not.

I really don't see this as a problem given you can remap and switch it with another button...

As for the lights - yeah, someone stuffed up!

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
The focus being remapped to another button like the set button to me isn't terribly huge but i will say when using my other two cameras with my 5dm3 sometimes there is a pause in my thought process to remember the set button function and zoom functions operate differently. I think offering the option to have it programmed to be in the same spot as its always been would just a a nice courtesy to professionals that work with multiple cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »