October 26, 2014, 03:31:24 AM

Author Topic: The Mirrorless Future  (Read 14945 times)

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: The Mirrorless Future
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2012, 05:04:59 AM »
The FF sensor in a body like the Fujifilm XPro-1 would be very desirable
Look at the new Sony RX1.

RX1 reminds me of Fujifilm X100. It's testing the waters to see if the market can accept the innovation. Sony's attempt is a big step forward for a small body with FF sensor, but it shows that there's still a problem with the price tag. If an all-in-one package comes for a price around 3,000, I could not imagine a body that accepts interchangeable lenses to be less than that - not to mention the new line of lenses designed to interact with the FF sensor.

Would it be cheaper than a Leica with 50mm summarit? Sure. However, there's still going to be a huge distance between that and what the average shooter would consider affordable.

Of course, we can see how the sales of RX1 turns out, but gut feeling says don't be too optimistic about it.

Honestly the price is not that bad if you consider the price of the Zeiss 35mm f/2 alone. You trade the possibility to change lenses with the compact size. And yet, surely the price is pumped up because it's an innovative product with zero competition.

Sony has to be praised for the amount of tech they're bringing out these days. When other companies will make their first clumsy attempts, they will already have an extensive expertise. I would bet that in 10 years from now we will all have Sony or Samsung cameras, and in 20 years Canon and Nikon will be brands to tell to our children about, same as my father does with his old Yashica.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2012, 05:04:59 AM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
The FF sensor in a body like the Fujifilm XPro-1 would be very desirable
Look at the new Sony RX1.

RX1 reminds me of Fujifilm X100. It's testing the waters to see if the market can accept the innovation. Sony's attempt is a big step forward for a small body with FF sensor, but it shows that there's still a problem with the price tag. If an all-in-one package comes for a price around 3,000, I could not imagine a body that accepts interchangeable lenses to be less than that - not to mention the new line of lenses designed to interact with the FF sensor.

Would it be cheaper than a Leica with 50mm summarit? Sure. However, there's still going to be a huge distance between that and what the average shooter would consider affordable.

Of course, we can see how the sales of RX1 turns out, but gut feeling says don't be too optimistic about it.

IMHO, a body WITH an interchangeable lens would cost more, but a body alone should cost less. $2000-$3000? - that's the price range of FF DSLR and I would buy one, if they did it right, without the "pocket camera" fanaticism. I want a nice grip and long battery life.
How about Zeiss Ikon lens system adaptation? Adding AF shouldn't be a big problem with today's technology. They could put the AF motor inside the camera body.
FF + primes !

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
The fixed lens offerings are clearly opening ventures...one has to fully anticipate the prices to come down, paradoxically, with more features and interchangable lenses as the industry matures. Just look at the dSLR history. The break point would be them selling more bodies as more people gain more confidence in the technology, buy into the platform, increasing demand, increasing competition, all of which typically increases supply, generally reducing cost.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »