November 28, 2014, 06:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs? [CR1]  (Read 36414 times)

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs? [CR1]
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 02:04:56 AM »
yea, and the 5d3 AF ,by itself, is no slouch and a reasonably capable sports body in its own right.   to avoid being a yawn, 7d2 will have to improve upon the 7D in a way similar to the 5D3/5D2.
If the 7Dmk2 is going to relate to the 5Dmk3 as the 7D classic related to the 5Dmk2, they will have to do some remarkable improvements to its "sports capabilities" (as the 5Dmk3 is a significant improvement over the 5Dmk2 in this respect). I dont see how they could do that without throwing in some new, exciting technology (similar to what they did with the on-sensor PDAF of the 650D).

On the other hand, Canon (and Nikon) seems to be reshuffling line-ups all over, so perhaps the 7Dmk2 will instead be targeted at landscape and macro photographers? :-)

-h

I believe 7D2 will be more related to 1DX as a action/sports/wildlife camera rather the 5D3. I believe the 70D will be related to the 5D3.

In the past were: 1DS3 - flagship; 1D4 ( pro body for sports and action) 5D2 as all around affordable FF.

Now we have: 1Dx - flagship; 5D3 as all around  FF, and the APS-C bodies.

It's missing something. The missing link may be a big MP body dedicated to studio/landscapes or a sports/wildlife camera with a lower price than the flagship.
Who knows maybe we will see both  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 02:04:56 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:39 AM »
A 7D successor is coming. I am convinced. Especially after seeing that Camerashops are offering the current 7D with a present (like a Wacom tablet) I do believe they do that to get rid of their stock samples.

I hope the 7D MKII will inherit the 61-AF
- 61-point AF with up to 41 cross-type AF points
- ISO up to 25600 and Less high ISO noise at 6400 (would be great if that would be even 12800)
- dual slots

I don't mind keeping 18 megapixels and same framerate as now.

I think that at the end , the 7D MKII willl be positioned where the 1D MKIV is now and replace this camera. So no more x1.3 but only x1.0 and x1.6 (as where the 7D MKII is the top of the APS-C line)

I can't make any sense of this whatsoever.

Neither can I, so help me here....

I think what you are saying is that just as people compare rough feature sets of the 7D and the MKIII, the 7DII will have a feature set that is close to the MkIV.  Those two camera sets also seem to have similar price points to the comparable cameras.  $1500 for the 7D and MKIII and the IV seems to be moving towards the probably intro price of a 7DII.

Forgive me if I have mistranslated, the I see the concept of a symmetry in Canon's movements, so I might not be correct.

Exaclty. Spot on.

btw I know that the AF-61 points of the FF can not be inherited 1:1 to APS-C. I hope for a more advanced AF in the 7D MKII than the 19 points. Though this one is already very nice.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 03:18:18 AM »
Pretty amazing specs.  This has to be a crop camera though.  If I was a sports photographer, I'd be up for this big time.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:54 AM »
What are the chances in percent-wise that a CR1 will come true?
Thanks.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »
Thanks.

I think it's time for some fun: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8822.0
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 04:25:44 AM »
1) 18MP is great for me. I'd rather have lower noise than more MP. Phase AF on chip sounds good!

Just out of curiosity, how would you use FPPD (Focal Plane Phase Detection) AF with a 7D-type camera? The value of FPPD is in Live View and Video...however if your shooting things through the viewfinder, a dedicated AF sensor is not only essential, its also probably going to be more accurate as it can be fine tuned to various apertures (such as the center five double cross type points at f/2.8, and the cross type points nearer to the edge of the AF grid that are sensitive down to f/5.6, of Canon's new 61pt AF sensor.) If you shoot a lot of video with the 7D (which I find curious...I'd definitely prefer something in the 5D line myself for video) then I could understand the value of FPPD in a DSLR...but its rather immature technology and due for a lot of refinement and perfection before I would trust it for full blown low-light AF acquisition and tracking like a dedicated AF sensor is capable of.

I'm very aware that FPPD is used in Live View & Video. I don't use video much (but do on occasion with success) - and use liveview at times for landscape and macro in particular. While I'd also prefer a 5D or 1D series Canon body for video, I choose to use and spend my money on other goods, services and donations.
My main point in my post above was that I'd prefer lower noise as the main sensor enhancement. Secondly, that any improvement to phase AF would be a positive.

2) The current 19pt AF system works very well for me. Ok - extra AF points = handy (I like wide frame coverage)

As for the current 19 AF points of the 7D, they are certainly better than Canon's ubiquitous 9pt systems, but rather vastly inferior to a reticular AF system...either the Nikon 51pt system or Canon's 61pt system are so much better, particularly for multi-point tracking, than the 19pt system with all the unused space between each point. Its not just about frame coverage, although that is certainly nice...its about density...and the 7D is certainly lacking against both the new entries in Canons pro line as well as quite a few bodies from Nikon's cameras released over the last few years.

As I've used both a Nikon 51pt system and the Canon 5DIII's 61pt AF system, I can comment on this too. While superior to the 7D, I have practised and mastered the 7D's 19pt AF system (including customising CFn settings to suit my style) so that I've captured thousands of challenging BIF photos with great results. I expect using a 1DX would improve my keep rate further still. Also bear in mind that the 7D's AF sensors extend further than the AF squares in the VF.

3) 10FPS. Nice. As long as I can choose eg 3fps, 5fps, 8fps and 10fps. But 8fps is enough.

Not sure I agree 8fps is enough...there are plenty of times that I've shot BIF and other bird moments (and even wildlife) in action and missed the best moment, as it was between frames. Wouldn't have that problem with 10fps, at least not as much. Totally agree about being able to configure the low speed AF mode.

For me 8fps is enough in most cases. I'd like the 14fps of the 1DX.. but again, I'm choose
In my experience of both wildlife (including birds) and sports, the keeper rate is not directly correlated to the FPS. The difference between 8fps and 10fps isn't huge... but can help. Still 8FPS is generally enough for me.

Wishing you a good day!  ;)
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

keithcooper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 04:39:57 AM »
Thanks.
Well, if you follow back to the actual source for the link... I don't use a rating system :-)

It's come from someone I don't know well, but who has given a few good tips before (but fairly close to a launch)

Percentages imply rather more precision than I've ever really thought the rumour pages warranted.

I do however have a serious 'WTF' category that doesn't even make consideration for inclusion. Perhaps I should sometimes mention a few of these to put the others in context ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 04:39:57 AM »

cinema-dslr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • youtube channel
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »
I'm hoping for 24Mp aps-h so the aps-c sensor will revert to the xxd,xxxd,xxxxd series
The 1D-cinema uses aps-h crop for 4k video so the 7DII could be the baby cinema without the 4k.

In many ways the 7d was the more video orientated camera than the 5dII was.

canon just released a new 18Mp aps-c sensor with Phase AF on chip, wouldn't it be more logic if they used that chip in all the new aps-c camera's. just as they did with the original 7d 18Mp sensor.

If they had the aps-c 24Mp Phase AF on chip ready why not use it in the 650d?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:07:47 AM by cinema-dslr »
Canon eos C100+ninja2 ninjablade, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 70-300L ,24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22, sigma 28f1,8 macro, samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, tamron 70-200 f2,8 macro, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »
I want a 7D2 or the 6D but feel the 7D2 is further out as there has been a fair amount of chatter about a 6D and now 3D and I doubt canon would revamp the entire lineup in one year.

I'm guessing 6D and then before Christmas 3D.   How many more were supposed to be announced?
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:30 AM »
So, a 7D Mark II that will priced and have features above the 5D Mark III?  Uhhhh, no.  You'll have to rename it.  And if it's not renamed, it isn't coming out ANYTIME soon.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »
yea, and the 5d3 AF ,by itself, is no slouch and a reasonably capable sports body in its own right.   to avoid being a yawn, 7d2 will have to improve upon the 7D in a way similar to the 5D3/5D2.
If the 7Dmk2 is going to relate to the 5Dmk3 as the 7D classic related to the 5Dmk2, they will have to do some remarkable improvements to its "sports capabilities" (as the 5Dmk3 is a significant improvement over the 5Dmk2 in this respect). I dont see how they could do that without throwing in some new, exciting technology (similar to what they did with the on-sensor PDAF of the 650D).

On the other hand, Canon (and Nikon) seems to be reshuffling line-ups all over, so perhaps the 7Dmk2 will instead be targeted at landscape and macro photographers? :-)

-h

I believe 7D2 will be more related to 1DX as a action/sports/wildlife camera rather the 5D3. I believe the 70D will be related to the 5D3.

In the past were: 1DS3 - flagship; 1D4 ( pro body for sports and action) 5D2 as all around affordable FF.

Now we have: 1Dx - flagship; 5D3 as all around  FF, and the APS-C bodies.

It's missing something. The missing link may be a big MP body dedicated to studio/landscapes or a sports/wildlife camera with a lower price than the flagship.
Who knows maybe we will see both  ;)

exactly. I'd suggest that both are missing links:   The Big MP body-almost-medium-format-answer-to-the-D800 may be the 6D.  the sports camera with a lower price than the flagship is more difficult to figure out because of what Canon did to the 1D4.   

The 1Dx embodied the stated changes in Canon's strategy,  which was to merge the 1D and 1Ds lines.  And merge they did -- the 1Dx has best sports/wildlife capabilities and IQ combination to date.  But it is missing one feature:  Reach.  A sports/wildlife camera with a lower price than the flagship would, imho, be either of these two possibilities:

1.  If Canon expects the sports togs to carry a 2nd body, it would essentially be a 1D4 successor -- a king of the crops, and something capable of putting "more pixels on the image" to produce convincingly better IQ than cropping the best FF output for the equivalent FOV .  We've hashed this ad nausium, but imho Canon can't do that with today's "C" sensors.  It would have to be an H or some new and distruptive C sensor that no one has yet even rumored about

2.  If Canon expects the sports togs to "do without the reach", and carry two 1Dx bodies, then in this case the bar is lower and the "sports/wildlife camera with a price tag lower than the flagship"  is a prosumer APS-C,  highly capable sports body with only a small improvement in IQ compared to cropping a FF for equivalent FOV. They could even use the T4i sensor,  which of course would be a big yawn.   

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
So, a 7D Mark II that will priced and have features above the 5D Mark III?  Uhhhh, no.  You'll have to rename it.  And if it's not renamed, it isn't coming out ANYTIME soon.

There is zero reason why the 7D2 would not have better features for less money than the 5D3 that's what the original 7D had over the 5D2 other than sensor.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
APS-H Please! :D
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »

There is zero reason why the 7D2 would not have better features for less money than the 5D3 that's what the original 7D had over the 5D2 other than sensor.

The 7D had better features?  Like what?  Less IQ?  Less MP?  It did have better AF, which many on here will disagree with for whatever reason.  I happen to enjoy the better AF of the 7D over the 5D2.  To have better features than a 5D Mark III, it's going to have to be priced above the 5D3.  The only camera with better features right now, current model, is the 1DX.  Exactly what features are you suggesting that it will have improved over the 5D Mark III?  I can't think of any that wouldn't put it above price and above model.  If it's just more MP, then I'm not sure this will entice anyone to buy that instead of a 5D3, UNLESS it is much less in cost.  Is this the improvement you foresee?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Unposed-Jeff

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
We have a 5D II and a 7D, and although the 7D doesn't have the resolution or low light capability of the 5D II, its in camera speed is unmatched.  The 5D II feels so sluggish after using the 7D.  I am excited about a 7D II that would have 24mp sensor and still great speed.  Even if it is far above the current 7D price point.  It would never replace the 5 series to us, but the pair make for fantastic shoots.  If the 7D II is for real, we will be looking to but both the new 7 and the 5D III this spring.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »