December 18, 2014, 08:40:33 PM

Author Topic: The Milky Way, portrait edition (5d mkiii and astrophotography)  (Read 7034 times)

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
OK, so Saturday night I was up at my family's cabin in Breckenridge CO for a relaxing weekend away from the city.  I almost always do some star trails when I'm up there and so after a few cocktails (more than a few) I took the camera out and set up a shot.  Right after we started shooting my brother noticed how bright the milky way was.  After a few test shots I realized that I coud get amazing shots of it Straight from camera!.  I threw my new baby into high noise reduction mode and then shot at f2.8 (14mm prime), 30 sec, 8000ISO.  I was able to get great stuff, with star/galaxy detail I had never seen before and with little to no noise (since it was a 30 sec exp, and a bit windy everything was going to be a bit blurry anyhow, so noise reduction loss of sharpness was of little worry).  This is a JPEG straight from camera!  Ok, not exactly fully straight from camera, I did a tiny contrast and sharpness adjustment, but that is all.  It was hard to sit still for 30 seconds with a few drinks in the veins and the wind blowing, but we tried pretty hard (note the blurriness)....  I'l post some of the other amazing shots I got, including a star trail and a time-lapse, but this unconventional portrait was just too cool for me not to show you guys/gals...

Hold Still by @!ex, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

KurtStevens

• Rebel SL1
  • Practice safe photography, Use a concept.
    • View Profile
    • Kurt Stevens Photography
Re: The Milky Way, portrait edition (5d mkiii and astrophotography)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
I'm in Fort Collins all the time, would love to go shoot some stars with you sometime.  Let me know.  Great shot by the way.
5D3 + 16-35 + 85 + 135

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:14:58 AM »
 :D Thanks for the information.

I've got the same camera/lens combination. As soon as I get out of Europe (with intense levels of light pollution in my home area keeping me from astrophotography) I will want to try something like this.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »
Pretty sweet & great composition.  It would be even better if the folks in the foreground had the same acutance as the rest of the frame; as it is that bit looks kinda wierd.  I'm not sure if it's from motion blur as you mentioned or simply lack of depth of field. 

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 06:56:01 AM »
What a nice image. Can't wait to see more from that shoot.

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
That's a cool photo! 8)
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Yari200

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
This is a great shot, considering the group had  to stay put for x amount of seconds and you had had a fe :)w drinks. I like the composition and of course, Milky Way looks fantastic. and no major changes? Cool photo

OK, so Saturday night I was up at my family's cabin in Breckenridge CO for a relaxing weekend away from the city.  I almost always do some star trails when I'm up there and so after a few cocktails (more than a few) I took the camera out and set up a shot.  Right after we started shooting my brother noticed how bright the milky way was.  After a few test shots I realized that I coud get amazing shots of it Straight from camera!.  I threw my new baby into high noise reduction mode and then shot at f2.8 (14mm prime), 30 sec, 8000ISO.  I was able to get great stuff, with star/galaxy detail I had never seen before and with little to no noise (since it was a 30 sec exp, and a bit windy everything was going to be a bit blurry anyhow, so noise reduction loss of sharpness was of little worry).  This is a JPEG straight from camera!  Ok, not exactly fully straight from camera, I did a tiny contrast and sharpness adjustment, but that is all.  It was hard to sit still for 30 seconds with a few drinks in the veins and the wind blowing, but we tried pretty hard (note the blurriness)....  I'l post some of the other amazing shots I got, including a star trail and a time-lapse, but this unconventional portrait was just too cool for me not to show you guys/gals...

Hold Still by @!ex, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:04:41 PM »
Pretty sweet & great composition.  It would be even better if the folks in the foreground had the same acutance as the rest of the frame; as it is that bit looks kinda wierd.  I'm not sure if it's from motion blur as you mentioned or simply lack of depth of field.

Ya I wish it was a lot sharper too, but it was a DOF combined with a long exposure issue.  I was already at 8000 ISO so if I stopped the lens down I would have had to either go higher there and or longer exposure (1 stop more would have put us a 1 min).  The other thought would be to light paint us with a brief flash, but I tried with my iPhone light (only thing I had on me) and couldn't get it right.  Either way I was really surprised it came out at all...

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »
I'm in Fort Collins all the time, would love to go shoot some stars with you sometime.  Let me know.  Great shot by the way.

I'm always up for collaborations...

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »
That is a cool photo.  I've taken some 30 second pictures of myself and know how hard it is to stay still.

This type of photo is what Canon should use for a sample photo.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
Another shot from Saturday.  This one is looking out the other way, away from the cabin over the beaver ponds.  Again, only basic adjustments, levels, curves, (pushed the exposure a stop or so).  For the most part this is pretty much just out of camera (only in camera JPEG noise reduction).  I never knew that shots of the milky way like this were possible with standard gear, I've always been so skeptical of them (I guess a 5d mkiii with a 14mm 2.8L II, aren't exactly standard...)

Sitting on the Dock by @!ex, on Flickr

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
Another shot from Saturday.  This one is looking out the other way, away from the cabin over the beaver ponds.  Again, only basic adjustments, levels, curves, (pushed the exposure a stop or so).  For the most part this is pretty much just out of camera (only in camera JPEG noise reduction).  I never knew that shots of the milky way like this were possible with standard gear, I've always been so skeptical of them (I guess a 5d mkiii with a 14mm 2.8L II, aren't exactly standard...)

Sitting on the Dock by @!ex, on Flickr
I am diggin what appears to be reflections of the stars on the water which i have not ever personally seen. You should investigate that and if you ever get northern lights incorporate calm waters in the shot reflecting it.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
what timing! i just tried this very thing for the first time last week. I was wondering what could be done easily with my gear and a location i've been using for shots of the ISS. after a few shots i decided to jump in the frame myself. i didn't have my wireless shutter thingy so i really did jump into the frame. during this 30second exposure i was wonder if i was even in the frame, and if the coming truck's headlights would ruin the shot. anyway it worked, so i'll do more, and bring my wireless shutter tripper. I guess focus stacking would be the only cure for my being so far OOF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
great shots.. inspiring.. =)
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »
Awesome shots, and hello from Boulder.   :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »