June 24, 2018, 10:53:25 PM

Author Topic: Lens filter: step-down adapter ring, or not?  (Read 22646 times)

KBX500

Re: Lens filter: step-down adapter ring, or not?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »
There are hoods that work with step ring adaptors and CP filters and are an alternative for situations in which the dedictated Canon hood conflicts with the use of step rings, or adjusting a CP filter. They screw on to the lens/filter threads and are made of flexible black rubber formed into an accordian shape that collapses back to expose the filter threads or pulls out to block the sun and provide some protection against bumps and scrapes.

I paid $10 for a 58mm hood of that style that I used with a cheap 28-90 Canon zoom that I didn't want to spend any additional money on, and it performed adequately. It is not, however, an adequate replacement for the dedicated Canon hoods.

Opteka is one company that sells them through Amazon and I'm sure B&H and Adorama carry them as well. Kalt is the brand of the one I bought years ago. I suspect there are just one or two Asian manufacturers that make all of them and sell them to rebranders like Opteka.

As for the UV filter or no UV filter, I generally go without, because I very rarely use a lens without it's Canon hood. As the lens cap comes off the hood goes on. I think the hood is a much better protector than a glass filter. However, if I needed to photograph in an environment that was dustier or grittier than normal it would be nice to have a stellar UV filter to put on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »
Shelling out for a really good filter the correct size is worth it to me just so I can leave it on and not risk cross threading the lens itself. I don't know how others feel about stacking a CP onto a UV but if they're good (like B+W MRC) seems like a non issue as long as no vingette.

It turns out you can often do quite a bit of stacking without increased vignetting.  I recently did some testing, and it turns out that while the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II can tolerate only a B+W F-Pro mount (5mm thick) before increased vignetting sets in, the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS and EF-S 17-55mm can tolerate 2 stacked F-Pro filters (e.g. UV and Slim CPL) with no meaningful increase in vignetting, and a pair of ultrafast primes (EF 35mm f/1.4L and EF 85mm f/1.2L II) can actually tolerate 3 stacked F-Pro filters.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »