August 01, 2014, 09:34:24 AM

Author Topic: OUT: DSLR // IN: Micro 4/3  (Read 5036 times)

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: OUT: DSLR // IN: Micro 4/3
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »
I picked up a micro 4/3 camera a while back (an older EPL-1).  I thought it would be the be-all and end-all.  Sadly, while I like it a lot, I just use it occassionally.  Ultimately, I've found the image quality just isn't quite as good.  Its not bad, just not excellent.  I know the OM-D is better than the EPL-1, but I'd still suggest taking baby steps.  Buy the OM-D before selling the 5Dii just to make sure you are 100% happy.  Plus, there's no reason you can't have two cameras.  Your Canon lenses will work fine on both cameras (obviously without AF, but not a problem with the tilt shift).  The OM-D is one feature packed little camera.  I wish Canon noticed it when designing the EF-M.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
I have to disagree elflord on this one.

I own both the 5D II w/ 35 L, 24-105L and my baby the 70-200 II and the OM-D E-M5 (25 1.4, 12-35 2.8 and 45 1.8 ).  The only comprable M43rd camera would be the GH2 and only in Video.  The OMD is a better stills camera than the GH2 by a mile

My comments were about the GF2 (which I have). I'm have not used the OM-D. Reviews look promising, but until I see the DxO numbers, I'm a bit skeptical about claims of its performance at high ISO.

It doesn't surprise me that AF is more accurate -- contrast detect is typically more accurate than phase detect (though seldom as fast)

Regarding depreciation of these m43 bodies -- the EP3 which is only about a year old sells for about $400 used these days (less than half its price at launch). The 5DII which is about 4 years old sells for well over half its launch price.

Unless Olympus commit a marketing faux pas and fail to release a successor to the OM-D, the OM-D will join the EP3 in the bargain bins in a year or so. Not because it's a bad camera, but because Olympus's products have very short product cycles. That's not a reason to avoid the OM-D -- it's a reason to wait a little bit until the demand cools off a bit. It's still back-ordered now.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
I'm trying to find a reason NOT to do this:

Sell: 5D2, TS-E 24/3.5L II, 24-105/4L, 40/2.8
Buy: Oly OM-D, Oly 12/2, Pan/Leica 25/1.4, Oly 75/1.8

Size, weight, price and general flexibility seem to outweigh the advantages of an all-out DSLR system. I'm finding you have to dig pretty deep to find significant differences in IQ in practical use. Has anyone made this kind of change?

Qualifier: I'm not a full-time pro. I don't make my living in photography. It's only a small part of my job, but it's a huge part of my life. I shoot for the enjoyment of shooting: typically landscapes, nature, travel and cityscapes.

My view is simple.  There are many camera offerings because different photographers value different things.  I think that having broad choices is good.
Do what works for you, and don't worry about what others are doing, they have their reasons and once again, they should do what works for them.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:38 AM »
I'm a gear collector more than I like, and I tend to buy the next camera before parting with my previous, if at all.

I agree with what LostArk said; liquidate the 24-105 if you need to fund the 4/3 system, it'll almost pay for the OM D5. If you don't like the 4/3 after all, you may have a bit of a loss selling the thing but you can buy back another 24-105 for about you'd have sold yours for.

I agree with PixelReaper too, the OMD5 is getting really good reviews on its IQ and may be exceeding the performance of the 5D2 at lower ISO by a noticeable amount. (not all that hard to do, IMO)
I've read that it's raw IQ is comparable to, and may be even a little better for low ISO noise, than Nikon's D7000 which is pretty impressive and far ahead of Canon's anything.

I love the way the OMD5 fits in my hand w the optional grip and extra battery attached. I'd like to shoot with it, it just feels inspiring to me.
I'll wait until DxOmark's test results for it are published as I didn't get to record any files from the pre-production demo unit I played with back in spring.  That could be in September or October.  And that'll be after Photokina so I should have good info to work with regarding whether I'll step into the 4/3 system as well.  I could fund one by selling off some low end Canon gear I rarely use.

I think the OMD5 is the first 4/3 body to really fulfill most customers' expectations of what that system should be able to achieve. Any Oly' may bring out something even better soon so worth keeping an eye on them.

If some good T&S wide glass comes along for 4/3 then I'm sure you'll enjoy using it more than the beastly EOS gear.  You're not likely to miss the marginal difference in DoF for the majority of your shooting either.

PixelReaper

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »

If some good T&S wide glass comes along for 4/3 then I'm sure you'll enjoy using it more than the beastly EOS gear.  You're not likely to miss the marginal difference in DoF for the majority of your shooting either.

+1 on not missing depth of field in most shooting.  At 1.4 or 1.8, the best M43 glass is as sharp as the canon glass at f2 and the depth of field is actually more usable
5D Mark II, 24-105mm f/4 L, 35mm f/1.4 L, 70-200 f/2.8 II

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »
The gyrostabilization on the OM-D is friggin amazing, works ridiculously well.  IQ is great, of course you wont get the low-light performance or DOF.  I think the GH2 would be a good addition to your kit since it's not too expensive.  I'm not sure how good the footage looks without the hack, but with it the footage looks pretty amazing, especially for a $700 camera.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »