December 22, 2014, 09:34:34 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern 2.3 Available as Free Download  (Read 17923 times)

KurtStevens

• Rebel SL1
  • Practice safe photography, Use a concept.
    • View Profile
    • Kurt Stevens Photography
Re: Magic Lantern 2.3 Available as Free Download
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »
Thanks!
5D3 + 16-35 + 85 + 135

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:39 PM »
There is a poll over at http://www.magiclantern.fm/download regarding which cam should be next :)

Cheers!

The_Arsonist

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Casey Roberts Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »
Focus peaking for video mode is enough to make me love Magic Lantern. Not to mention it actually gives my 50D a video mode in the first place
Fuji X100s
50D with Katzeye-------FL 55 1.2 (EdMika)--------Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS-------Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:53 AM »
If they only would provide focus bracketing, i'd use it often.
They've had it for over 2 years.  Great feature for focus stacking.
They have focus stacking, but not bracketing.

Stacking is when you choose a start and end point.

Bracketing is when you autofocus and take additional pictures ad +-1, 2, 3 focus steps from that point on. As far as i know they don't have this feature.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:29 AM »
Second bullet point on the list. Any one care to explain to me what a fast zebra is? Apart from the speedy 4 legged variety I mean.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 04:52:19 AM »
General comment to all: Please donate for ml on their website, everybody who owns a 5d3 can spare at least $5 for the dev even if the download is free now!

... should be trivial to implement, did you do a feature request on the new forum's section?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=24.0

Moreover, I believe ML will support 5D3 soon.
My standard comment on this: don't get your hopes up, though the 5d3 has the potential of running ml it even hasn't been decided which camera is targeted first, it might be the 650d. And even if the 5d3 is next, first the main dev Alex needs a 5d3 (donate!), and then I predict it'll be at least a year until a *stable* 5d3 release.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/newmodelsstatus

Magic lantern is not yet available on the 5DIII, it is in progress and an early version should be available in October.
I didn't read that, where did you get this date from? And remember "early" version with firmware means feature-incomplete and you might very well brick your expensive 5d3 body - if the firmware goes into a loop, the cpu overheats in seconds and that's that.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1006.0

Gulado

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:04 AM »
Second bullet point on the list. Any one care to explain to me what a fast zebra is? Apart from the speedy 4 legged variety I mean.

;D

Zebras will tell you if you are under or over exposed. There used to be a slight lag to ML zebras but that lag has been eliminated in 2.3...so fast zebra!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:04 AM »

marvinhello

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 1D C user
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:37 AM »
General comment to all: Please donate for ml on their website, everybody who owns a 5d3 can spare at least $5 for the dev even if the download is free now!

... should be trivial to implement, did you do a feature request on the new forum's section?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=24.0

Moreover, I believe ML will support 5D3 soon.
My standard comment on this: don't get your hopes up, though the 5d3 has the potential of running ml it even hasn't been decided which camera is targeted first, it might be the 650d. And even if the 5d3 is next, first the main dev Alex needs a 5d3 (donate!), and then I predict it'll be at least a year until a *stable* 5d3 release.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/newmodelsstatus

Magic lantern is not yet available on the 5DIII, it is in progress and an early version should be available in October.
I didn't read that, where did you get this date from? And remember "early" version with firmware means feature-incomplete and you might very well brick your expensive 5d3 body - if the firmware goes into a loop, the cpu overheats in seconds and that's that.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1006.0

Alex has already got enough funding and has purchased a 5D3 body, development will start soon.
I did all the initial testing with Alex since March when 5D3 was released and took that "Hello World" photo, I bricked my 5D3 numerous times and all successfully unbricked. The latest build I tested works really well considering it's done in just a few months, I believe it definately won't take a year from now for a stable 5D3 release.

gratomlin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • pbase
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »
Does magic lantern stay on the cf card?, I tried to install it onto my 5d mk ii and as soon as I replace my cf card it disappears, apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, it's my first attempt at using magic lantern, thanks in advance for any answers

Gra
5d mkIII, 7d, 10-22, 24-105, 70-200 IS, sigma 150 macro, 12-24 mk ii and 150-500

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
Any idea if a version supporting the 1DX will ever surface?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Does magic lantern stay on the cf card?

Yes it does, so if you put in another card ml is is gone. Just be sure never to use a cf/sd card with the bootableflag set in firmware & on the card (eos utility) *w/o* the ml files or the body will lock up.

No dual cpu bodies run magic lantern (7d, 1d series), afaik no work is done on the 7d anymore to get around the problem of being unable to run user code and for 1-series development you'd have to have devs with access to the body and willing to brick it. But I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone knows more than what is available on the ml site and in the forums.

already got enough funding and has purchased a 5D3 body, development will start soon.
I did all the initial testing with Alex since March when 5D3 was released and took that "Hello World" photo, I bricked my 5D3 numerous times and all successfully unbricked. The latest build I tested works really well considering it's done in just a few months, I believe it definately won't take a year from now for a stable 5D3 release.

In this case, please update the ml website or at least the forum and let people know :-o ... and I admit my first "a year until 5d3 port" prognosis was half a year ago, so maybe I'd adjust that when repeating it :-p

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
Does anyone know how I can update my firmware edition? I have downloaded the Magic Lantern and then I realized that my firmware is old for my 5D II (2.0.9, and the current is 2.1.2). Do I need to have a CF reader? (I normally transport my images through the cable, since my computer only has a SD reader.

Thank you,

G.
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »

To my knowledge, there were issues in the development of an ML version supporting 7D due to the double processors in it so I doubt it... At least in the near future...

Cheers!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
Just be sure never to use a cf/sd card with the bootableflag set in firmware & on the card (eos utility) *w/o* the ml files or the body will lock up.

O.K., I am a total luddite so I don't really understand what you are saying here.  Not accusing you of poor communication at all, just asking if there is another to say this in such a way that someone whose only understanding of things electronic is how to use the on/off button :-[ ?
Diane

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Does anyone know how I can update my firmware edition? I have downloaded the Magic Lantern and then I realized that my firmware is old for my 5D II (2.0.9, and the current is 2.1.2). Do I need to have a CF reader? (I normally transport my images through the cable, since my computer only has a SD reader.

Thank you,

G.

Hei,

They instruct specifically that the card should be removed from the camera and connected to a computer via card reader before copying the firmware file:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/firmware/updating_firmware.do

I've never tried to copy the files by connecting the cam via USB - not sure if it would cause malfunction or not...

Cheers!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »