December 22, 2014, 07:23:54 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* Firmware 1.2.5 for EOS 7D  (Read 29794 times)

Wahoowa

Re: *UPDATE* Firmware 1.2.5 for EOS 7D
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:06:44 AM »
Too late for me. I downloaded it when the firmware first came out. I hadn't had a chance to install it and hadn't visited CanonRumors.com until now, but I installed it this morning. Nothing is wrong so far and I hope there'll be nothing wrong with it as I will go to Italy in a few weeks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:06:44 AM »

kmyers1us

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
Since 1.2.5 is not a product introduction, it doens't seem to me to be a leak. They must have pulled it for a reason.  Maybe the testing on it is not complete, or they found a last minute nasty that needs to be corrected. I will wait for the officially blessed version.

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »
You have to wonder why they removed it... as it was reported here and elsewhere, and I had skipped the previous update, I thought I'd put this one on and have done. I did wonder why it appeared on UK/Euro first, since normally I think it appears on JP first.

Just hopes there weren't any bugs found, and if there are, they bring out another update quick. Haven't used my 7D since then but I'm planning on during the weekend...
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

Grendel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Fun w/ MCUs
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
I did wonder why it appeared on UK/Euro first, since normally I think it appears on JP first.

Canon JP still seems to be struggling w/ the aftermath of the quake, they list 1.0.8 as the latest for the 60D. Canon US hosts 1.0.9 for that camera (haven't checked Canon EU.) Another interesting bit is that Canon US doesn't list DPP 3.10.1 for the 7D but for any other camera w/ raw support. Something is going on in the background...

1.2.4 for the 7D was released via the Canon service centers for the last month or so. Anyone sending in their camera would get it back w/ 1.2.4 installed (again, in the US. Not sure if that's true for the EU.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:36:08 PM by Grendel »

Wahoowa

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
Most, if of all, people think that Canon pulled the firmware because there must be something wrong with it.

I too am not sure if there is something wrong with it. I already installed it before knowing it's pulled. I agree with some that they usually test the heck out of a firmware before releasing it. So, it's kinda odd that they would release it and then quickly pulled it. (I mean it'd be odd that they would test the firmware after releasing it.)

That said, would it be possible that there is something *good* in the firmware that Canon doesn't want to release? Some feature that the marketing department doesn't want it in there. If that's the case, like someone said, this firmware will be a collectible one. ;D

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »
Most, if of all, people think that Canon pulled the firmware because there must be something wrong with it.

I too am not sure if there is something wrong with it. I already installed it before knowing it's pulled. I agree with some that they usually test the heck out of a firmware before releasing it. So, it's kinda odd that they would release it and then quickly pulled it. (I mean it'd be odd that they would test the firmware after releasing it.)

That said, would it be possible that there is something *good* in the firmware that Canon doesn't want to release? Some feature that the marketing department doesn't want it in there. If that's the case, like someone said, this firmware will be a collectible one. ;D

Canon likely received complaints from several who upgraded and had problems.  If even 5% have problems, thats far too many.  Usually they make a statement when they pull a firmware for problems, so that is puzzling.

The bad thing is that once a new version installed, you can not go back.  if something stops working, you will have to wait for a fix.

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
What happened to V1.2.4? Does anyone know the changelog for it? The latest version I can find is V1.2.3.

1.2.4 appeared on a few cameras that got repaired at official shops. My 7D works "fine" (if you call still-no-audio-levels "fine") and I'm waiting for a MEANINGFUL firmware update, where they add in some of those features that everybody-freaking-else is allowed to have except for 7D users.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »

LFG530

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 04:49:30 AM »
What happened to V1.2.4? Does anyone know the changelog for it? The latest version I can find is V1.2.3.

1.2.4 appeared on a few cameras that got repaired at official shops. My 7D works "fine" (if you call still-no-audio-levels "fine") and I'm waiting for a MEANINGFUL firmware update, where they add in some of those features that everybody-freaking-else is allowed to have except for 7D users.

I'm curious, what features do every body else has that I don't with my 7d?

archie.gsy

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 04:59:34 AM »
video updates for some CF card errors

oh and probably a spelling mistake somewhere !

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »
He is referring to audio gain control and disabling automatic gain.  For video people it is an extremely annoying issue if you want you audio to be recorded with your video.  The audio levels spike and drop all the time and it creates a lot of audio noise in the background.

The 5D2 is an older camera and they put the options on there, and the last few rebels and 60D have audio gain control, but not the more expensive 7D.  The irksome thing is that it would not be difficult to have an option to disable automatic audio gain.

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 02:42:06 AM »
He is referring to audio gain control and disabling automatic gain.  For video people it is an extremely annoying issue if you want you audio to be recorded with your video.  The audio levels spike and drop all the time and it creates a lot of audio noise in the background.

The 5D2 is an older camera and they put the options on there, and the last few rebels and 60D have audio gain control, but not the more expensive 7D.  The irksome thing is that it would not be difficult to have an option to disable automatic audio gain.

Exactly! :D

Chuckarama

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
Often times developers work with odd and even numbering cycles.  I don't know if Canon does, but I suspect they do.  So after the official release of 1.2.3, (ending in odd) they begin developing on 1.2.4 (ending in even).  When 1.2.4 becomes stable they release it as 1.2.5.  That type of numbering scheme helps keep from releasing their development version accidentally, until it done, tested, and signed off on.  All the developers recognize from the numbers that it is the Work In Progress firmware they are working on and until it gets that increment to a odd number, it's not ready for release.

Has anyone ever seen an even numbered release for the 7D?  I can't remember myself.

archie.gsy

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »

Has anyone ever seen an even numbered release for the 7D?  I can't remember myself.

apart from the peeps who said theirs came out from a service with V1.2.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »

MyPhotographer

• Power Shot G7X
  • EOS 6D
    • View Profile

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »
If we have any haxx0rs or people with ties to Canon here, it would be interesting to know whether the so called build number of this 1.2.5 load vs the previous one has changed.
I installed the 1.2.5 update the first time it was out, it did take care of the CF card Err issue I had occassionally been experiencing.
I'm happy with it as is, but would be educational...  ;)
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »