November 26, 2014, 08:06:07 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 3D X [CR1]  (Read 40967 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 3D X [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
"Heat dissipation" is the real problem of eos iso noise (not another sensor design like Sony's)?! Since it isn't April 1st, can anyone please enlighten me or share a link with an explanation?

http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/thermal/3-why-does-electrical-current-make-heat.html

The light collection of a sensor is converting photons into an electrical current.

So think of it this way: the photon is collected and turned into electrical energy that then has the potential to leak as it is drained and generate another photon that is then collected by itself or another pixel.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
However this camera turns out, 5D3 owners will be burned.

For what reason? Unless you plan to buy another super computer for 46MP - raw file  ;D
I bought a D800, and my fairly powerful PC could not handle editing of the raw files without taking excessive time to render the images.  NR or other enhancements were painful.  I edited a 500 image shoot, and that was enough for me.  I've looked into the latest computers, but there is no major processing power improvements from my first generation i7 to the third one.  I need 5X or 10X better for a 40mp raw file that opens to a 200+ MB file once in a editor.

Someone could make some money if would implement RAW manipulation in GPU of the graphics card. Nikon could be the first one :-)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
    Looks like whoever sent this rumour to Craig also sent it to Keith Cooper over at Northlight Images (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_3d.html) along with some embellishments:

• 16 bit RAW
    • Dual DIGIC 5+
    • "Its a new type of body,looks like a mini 1DX, it has a integrated portrait grip but its a bit thinner and significantly shorter and also lighter (no rear lcd panel)"

Sorry, but (1) and (3), as well as the heat dissipation business sound a lot like b*ll*cks to me.  It's a bit soon after the launch of the 1D X and 5D MkIII to start suggesting that their technology is out of date.  As for the mini integrated portrait grip, perhaps they've seen the illustrations from NL and added them on to their imaginary spec list?

Naturally, I will be more than please if I am eating my words in a month or so...!  ::)[/list]

Agreed. 16bit RAW is overkill unless this is seriously new sensor tech as that number likely exceeds the ability of the sensor.

Similarly a digital camera without an LCD is an immediate fail.

art_d

• Canon AE-1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »

For what reason? Unless you plan to buy another super computer for 46MP - raw file  ;D
    I bought a D800, and my fairly powerful PC could not handle editing of the raw files without taking excessive time to render the images.  NR or other enhancements were painful.  I edited a 500 image shoot, and that was enough for me.  I've looked into the latest computers, but there is no major processing power improvements from my first generation i7 to the third one.  I need 5X or 10X better for a 40mp raw file that opens to a 200+ MB file once in a editor.

I don't think CPU power is the issue, more likely you'll get imporvements from more memory.

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
      • View Profile
      • Anarchy Photography
    « Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
    What if it is called 2D or 4D instead?

Ah yes, the famed 35: Double D. Looks great, feels good in your hand... a flash would make this extremely popular.

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
      • View Profile
      • Anarchy Photography
    « Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
    Its a new type of body,looks like a mini 1DX

I would love it if it had the same body size as the Canon T90, that camera was the perfect size! Bigger than the 5D3, but smaller than a 1D X.

art_d

• Canon AE-1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: August 21, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
    I think the lack of people talking about bit depth is surprising, I think it should be the main thing to consider, more so than mp. I'd much rather have 16bit version of 5dmkiii than a 14bit higher mp camera. It's the main aspect I'm considering investing in medium format.
    There is much debate about the "16-bit myth." From what I've read on the matter, I don't believe that a 16-bit camera would produce any tangible improvement over a 14-bit camera, because those extra bits are not actually doing anything useful, just quantizing noise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »

JR

• 1D X
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: August 21, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »

Sorry to ear that!  I have the latest Intel i7 six core processor and works fine with the D800 files.  They are a bit longer to process then the 1DX file, but not noticably.  If you use Lighroom, did you optimze its settings to leverage the full power of your computer (like your RAM, etc...).  I know Adobe have some article on that on their website...

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

bkorcel

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »

I agree there comes a practical level of data that most people can work with and 40MP is too much for post...for most people.  It better have good in camera processing....and what's this?  Still a CF and SD combo???  Going to take time to write that image to an SD card!

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
      • View Profile
      • My Portfolio
    « Reply #84 on: August 21, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

I feel canon should have waited a bit longer on releasing the 5D3 with a better sensor, speaking for the 3500$ price its placed for.

tg

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »
    I think the lack of people talking about bit depth is surprising, I think it should be the main thing to consider, more so than mp. I'd much rather have 16bit version of 5dmkiii than a 14bit higher mp camera. It's the main aspect I'm considering investing in medium format.
    There is much debate about the "16-bit myth." From what I've read on the matter, I don't believe that a 16-bit camera would produce any tangible improvement over a 14-bit camera, because those extra bits are not actually doing anything useful, just quantizing noise.

I don't mean to say the difference is enormous, and it comes down to it being a small/modest development, but I have seen many examples of medium format 16 bit sensors delivering beautiful, more natural skin tone renditions due to the ability to capture more colors; I've noticed for a while dslrs often have a somewhat, and sorry for maybe not describing this appropriately, but, plastic tonal renditions from light to dark especially over skin tones (the range of tone seems flatter, local, less subtle variations).
    Much like every iteration of cameras today, once you have that little bit more/better/broader range of information/techinik, you are happy to have it and will notice the difference the more you use it.

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: August 21, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
    Will this shoot 3D?

;D

Of course!!

If it's called the 3D, it has to.....
    Can you imagine all the returned cameras, and all the struggles sales people will have every day trying to explain to customers that it's NOT 3D.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
      • View Profile
      • Chuck Alaimo Photography
    « Reply #87 on: August 21, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
    The 5DIII was targeted to event and wedding photographers who need clean images at higher ISOs. They won't be upset when this surfaces.

... but still many will because they shelled out $3500 to get the latest gimmick on the block, and the arguably the "clean images at high iso" advantage compared to the 5d2 is minor and the 3d shows a real step forward.

I doubt this.  For me at least, it is a clear difference between wants and needs vs benefits (IE Income potential).  For me right now, the mk3 kicks major wedding ass.  This new megapixel beast would be nice to have for shooting wedding formals, outdoors in bright light.  But necessary?  No.  If your a studio guy, yeah, this camera makes sense.  Landscape guys, you bet this makes sense.  But for the kind of work I'm doing, its more of a want than a need.

Oh, and btw...the mk2 would never pull down usable images at ISO 12,800 ...and thats more than just a gimmick!
    Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: August 21, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
    Nikon fanboys dislike this news  ;D

This camera will cost twice as much as a D800, so I doubt it.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »
    The 5DIII was targeted to event and wedding photographers who need clean images at higher ISOs. They won't be upset when this surfaces.

... but still many will because they shelled out $3500 to get the latest gimmick on the block, and the arguably the "clean images at high iso" advantage compared to the 5d2 is minor and the 3d shows a real step forward.

I doubt this.  For me at least, it is a clear difference between wants and needs vs benefits (IE Income potential).  For me right now, the mk3 kicks major wedding ass.  This new megapixel beast would be nice to have for shooting wedding formals, outdoors in bright light.  But necessary?  No.  If your a studio guy, yeah, this camera makes sense.  Landscape guys, you bet this makes sense.  But for the kind of work I'm doing, its more of a want than a need.

Oh, and btw...the mk2 would never pull down usable images at ISO 12,800 ...and thats more than just a gimmick!

Post of the day right here.  Finally someone with some good sense.
    2 x 1DX
    Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »