April 17, 2014, 09:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available  (Read 16193 times)

crasher8

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Yeah, no more lens barrel squishing

canon rumors FORUM

« on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »

bubeli

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »
I tried to upgrade. But the update has crashed six times in a row. A time to 50%, a time to 70% and even to 2698% (!). I use a 5D III (latest firmware) . Tonight i want to try again with another file, another CF and also setting the language to English. I hope ...

spinworkxroy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
I tried to upgrade. But the update has crashed six times in a row. A time to 50%, a time to 70% and even to 2698% (!). I use a 5D III (latest firmware) . Tonight i want to try again with another file, another CF and also setting the language to English. I hope ...

I have the same problem as you..
I can't resolve it..now the camera won't work :( I need to bring it down to CSC??? Oh no…it's just a lens firmware upgrade..why!!!

jsbraby

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
I had success using a 5d3 with firmware 1.1.3 on it. Upgraded the shorty-fourty from v1.1.0 to 1.2.0.

Off to verify that AFMA doesn't need re-adjusted post firmware upgrade.

spinworkxroy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
Looks like i'll have to bring it down to CSC…the lens is not totally unusuable..i cna't upgrade it at all and there isn't the old firmware for download anywhere…stupid Canon…Anyone else has bad luck like me?
I've tried several cards..my 5d3 is alreayd ver 1.1.3…i've even tried downloading from different websites…
All still same…the lens is a brick now..won't even work on other cameras. :(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:22:27 PM by spinworkxroy »

DanielG.

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
My update failed with a jump to a few thousand % done several times or with a shutter sound, display switching off and the self timer LED illuminated. Only removing the battery after a few minutes helped.

Mounting the lens while the camera (5D3 with latest firmware) results in "Err 01".
Tried the US an German Canon sites for download, tested the ZIP (Windows) and DMG (Mac) archives, set the 5D3's language to Japanese. No luck.

I've sent Canon's support an email. Let's collect the answers in this thread.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
My 40mm does not have the issue, so I'm certainly not going to update it, not at least until everyone is having the update work well.
I'll keep reading others experiences, but it does not sound good right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »

DanielG.

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »
My 40mm does not have the issue, so I'm certainly not going to update it, not at least until everyone is having the update work well.
I'll keep reading others experiences, but it does not sound good right now.

My 40mm had the issue a few times, so I didn't need to update right away. On the other hand I never had problems with (Canon) camera, iPhone, iPad, router, BIOS or Mac firmware updates which are more complex (I guess). Even my Apple Cinema Display and MacBook Pro battery got updates.

This is my first failed firmware update ever. Lesson learned.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »

Firmware Version 1.2.0 addresses the following phenomenon

1. If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap or while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.

A Canon EOS 1D X, 5D III (at v1.1.3 or later) or a Rebel T4i/650D is needed to install the upgrade. Alternatively, the lens can be sent to Canon Service to have the firmware upgrade installed.

Download Firmware 1.2.0

cr

canonrumors.com

crasher8

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
Why can't other bodies handle the FW update?

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
I'm guessing its a function they just recently added to their software, and its not in any camera they released before 2012?

Makes sense really, as it would save them a lot of repair time for something like this if all their bodies could just download the firmware

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
I'm guessing its a function they just recently added to their software, and its not in any camera they released before 2012?

Makes sense really, as it would save them a lot of repair time for something like this if all their bodies could just download the firmware

@preppyak, you posted something about additional contacts discussed in another thread, seems you deleted that?  Got a reference?  I see the same 8 pins on the 5DII and 5DIII.

I can't see it being hardware based (I could be wrong), but I suspect Canon feels it would be a waste of resources to issue firmware updates for all bodies to provide the capability.

At least postage would be cheap for the 40/2.8. If you own a MkII supertele that needs the firmware updated and don't have a 2012 body, it would be cheaper to rent a T4i for the 3-4 day minimum just to apply the update than to send (with insurance) the lens to Canon...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jsbraby

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
There was an interesting discussion in another thread; the electrical contacts on your camera have 2 extra little spots that are, presumably, for doing things like firmware upgrades, etc. My guess is that the cameras prior to these three (all released in 2012) don't have a spot on the camera to connect to those contacts, while the newer cameras do. That's the only way I can think of for why it would only work with the new cameras

My 5d3 and 7d both have 8 camera side electrical contacts. The "extra pins" on L lenses and teleconverters is to indicate which TC is present if any. Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount#Communication_protocol for the EF pin designations.

It's more likely that the older bodies just don't have firmware support to send lens firmware over the EF communication pins. Given that the 7d (which just had a major body firmware update) isn't on the list to do a lens firmware update, it's also possible that the older body/lens communication rate is too low for Canon to feel confident about updating lens firmware that way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

Tiosabas

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
Given that the newest bodies are needed to communicate with the 40mm for this upgrade. Does this support Roger Cicala's article that newer the lenses and newer bodies are able to do things that the older combos can't, like more accurate AF and communication for FW upgrades etc?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us"-Tolkien

bubeli

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
I've tried everything. Update again the 5D III with firmware 1.1.3, set the language to English, several CF, remove the battery grip, clear all settings of the machine, download the file from different sites (for mac and windows) but nothing. Does not work. I wrote an email to Canon. I await the response before sending it.  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »