October 24, 2014, 11:18:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available  (Read 18249 times)

DanielG.

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
It worked! Just deleted all registered batteries… Thanks ogalvan.

Those who didn't have any problems in the first place: did you have registered battery info?

Why access registered battery info during a lens update when all you should be concerned with is the current battery charge? As a software developer I think this is one crazy bug. (Not that I code bug free ;))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:10 AM »
I find it a little annoying that they come out with a firmware fix for this lens which apparently sold in huge amounts, but can only be updated by the people who have the very newest cameras, which is probably a fraction of owners.  I just sent a buch of lenses back and forth to Canon to get them adjusted right, and I'm kind of tired of spending money on shipping...

KenQ

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
I deleted all registered battery info, and it worked!! Thank you everyone!

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »
All good here! I hadn't tried the firmware update before reading the battery info solution, so I went that route and it worked like a charm. Thanks ogalvan!
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
SAme here. Deleted Battery information and update worked!!!  Thanks to everyone!!

5D3
1DX, Sony A7R, Sony RX100 III (ordered) and lots of " L" lenses

prestonpalmer

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
Confirmed.  Deleting registered batteries fixes problem!  YES!!!!!!

NickCat

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »
Same result here with the battery registration delete after a failed update. 

1st attempt fail was 2768% with camera halt (firmware listed as 1.1.0 initially)
2nd attempt fail was 64% with shutter and shutdown (firmware listed as 0.0.0 initially)
Visit CR Forums, kill reg info
3rd attempt success without issue. 

BTW... battery that succeed was at 77%, so full charge doesn't appear relevant.  Espescially considering the first two failures were with a 100% battery.

Canon... really... REALLY?  That's just lazy. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »

jsbraby

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

<snip>

I would guess less "lazy" and more "we have a bug with battery info registration we didn't know about and didn't see (on the new cameras) in our testing lab".

NickCat

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »

<snip>

I would guess less "lazy" and more "we have a bug with battery info registration we didn't know about and didn't see (on the new cameras) in our testing lab".

The "lazy" was more referring to QC on the firmware by obviously not testing the update on enough different body/scenarios to ensure it would work.  I do realize they can't test every scenario though, but a body with registered batteries seems like a fairly common one. 

But, yes... I see new body firmwares coming soon! ;)

jsbraby

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
The "lazy" was more referring to QC on the firmware by obviously not testing the update on enough different body/scenarios to ensure it would work.  I do realize they can't test every scenario though, but a body with registered batteries seems like a fairly common one. 

I don't think it's happening to every body with battery information registered; my 5d3 has battery info registered and the STM upgrade went through first try. But it is clearly happening to some combination of battery, body and battery information registration. I wouldn't rule out an unforeseen interaction between some custom setting and the battery registration.

I haven't been following this closely enough, but I wonder if maybe the issue is with battery information registered from counterfeit or third party batteries? Maybe the people who had the issue and then succeeded after deleting the battery registration information can chime in on that.

aZhu

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

I don't think it's happening to every body with battery information registered; my 5d3 has battery info registered and the STM upgrade went through first try. But it is clearly happening to some combination of battery, body and battery information registration. I wouldn't rule out an unforeseen interaction between some custom setting and the battery registration.

I haven't been following this closely enough, but I wonder if maybe the issue is with battery information registered from counterfeit or third party batteries? Maybe the people who had the issue and then succeeded after deleting the battery registration information can chime in on that.

All of my batteries are legit but I had the issue. It can be due to other factors like you said but I also posed the idea that it could be earlier releases of the lens? I pre-ordered and got it pretty much on the week of release.

DanielG.

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
Maybe the people who had the issue and then succeeded after deleting the battery registration information can chime in on that.

I had the info of three genuine Canon batteries registered when the update failed. One came with my 5D3 and the other two were ordered from Amazon directly. No third party sellers.

DanielG.

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
it could be earlier releases of the lens? I pre-ordered and got it pretty much on the week of release.

Got mine from a large electronics store during the first week after the release so I'm pretty sure it was from the first or at least an early batch.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »

jsbraby

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
Unless I'm being pattern blind, I'm not seeing a date code on my 40 STM. Which seems odd to me.

aZhu

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
Unless I'm being pattern blind, I'm not seeing a date code on my 40 STM. Which seems odd to me.

Some lenses don't come with date codes anymore. They just have a serial.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »