April 18, 2014, 11:53:33 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available  (Read 16230 times)

mclaren777

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
I wonder if stores like Best Buy have been instructed to update the firmware of their current stock.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »

NickCat

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »
The "lazy" was more referring to QC on the firmware by obviously not testing the update on enough different body/scenarios to ensure it would work.  I do realize they can't test every scenario though, but a body with registered batteries seems like a fairly common one. 

But, yes... I see new body firmwares coming soon! ;)
I don't think it's happening to every body with battery information registered; my 5d3 has battery info registered and the STM upgrade went through first try. But it is clearly happening to some combination of battery, body and battery information registration. I wouldn't rule out an unforeseen interaction between some custom setting and the battery registration.

I haven't been following this closely enough, but I wonder if maybe the issue is with battery information registered from counterfeit or third party batteries? Maybe the people who had the issue and then succeeded after deleting the battery registration information can chime in on that.

3 legit batteries, and a pre-order version of the lens from Amazon here. 

mrprotocol

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
Here's what I think.  It's purely a guess but it makes sense to me based on my past experience with systems like this one.  There's a bug, all right, but it's in the lens update firmware, not the battery registration code.  The firmware updater wants to make sure that there's enough juice to complete the upgrade, so it makes a call on another part of the firmware: "Return battery info".  What comes back is everything: not only the current state of the installed batteries, but the entire battery registration database.  If you have more than, say, two batteries registered, the returned package is too big and overwrites part of the data space used by the updater, converting some of its parameters to garbage.  Hence it then blows up when trying to flash the new firmware.  Clearing out the registration info reduces the size of the data returned to something the firmware update code can handle and the reflashing then succeeds.  Unfortunately, for those who don't get the word, their lens has now had its firmware wiped and is now a metal-and-glass paperweight.  Ooops, as they say.

crasher8

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
I had the problem on my 7D every time I used it. When I got the 5D3 I did not upgrade it and found I didn't need to. It has not had any issues. Go figure. Love this lens. Canon please make some more flapjacks.

HankMD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »
A Canon EOS 1D X, 5D III (at v1.1.3 or later) or a Rebel T4i/650D is needed to install the upgrade. Alternatively, the lens can be sent to Canon Service to have the firmware upgrade installed.

Has anyone tried this with a 6D?
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »