July 28, 2014, 09:46:02 PM

Author Topic: EOS 1DX vs. EOS 5D MARK III for Weddings,  (Read 18125 times)

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 1DX vs. EOS 5D MARK III for Weddings,
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
5D3 x 2

If nothing else, you'll have two lenses ready for work at anytime.

PS: That wide angle lens is useful when out of the blues a random relatives want you to take a group picture of him/her with high school buddies...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
Nothing will beat the 1D X for fast-paced sports photography.

The 5DIII beats the 1D X for pretty much every other type of photography, especially weddings.

And for weddings, a pair of 5DIIIs will blow a single 1D X out of the water.

The 1D X has 12 FPS and (somewhat) better autofocus performance and AF-point-linked metering.

The 5DIII has a silent shutter, more megapickles, is smaller and lighter, and is at least 90% as good as the 1D X on all other specs, and it costs half as much as a 1D X.

If you're shooting for Sports Illustrated (or if you want to shoot for them), you'd be a fool to use anything other than a 1D X.

If you're shooting almost anything else, you'd be a fool to go with a 1D X over a 5DIII.

Oh -- and, if you're shooting for Sports Illustrated but you're shooting golf or tennis, you'd again be a fool to go with a 1D X over a 5DIII (because of shutter sound).

Cheers,

b&

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 15 stops to Heaven
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
And the 5D3 users berating the 1DX resumes. To each his own!

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »
Do not underestimate the silent shutter. I recently shot a wedding as second shooter with a 5d mk3, the primary shooter was using a 1d mk3. After the ceremony I was asked by the bride why I hadn't taken any photo's in the church, I explained and showed her some shots on the LCD, she was amazed as she had heard nothing. 
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
The silent shutter is incredible.  At weddings, people act natural because they don't hear that mirror slap.  Also, I love taking the 5d3 out when I'm with friends for the same reason.  Not only that, but other people don't start staring at you because of your loud shutter.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

cliffec

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
Oh -- and, if you're shooting for Sports Illustrated but you're shooting golf or tennis, you'd again be a fool to go with a 1D X over a 5DIII (because of shutter sound).

True about golf, but shutter sound is barely of any importance in tennis. At least if you are shooting as a professional. As an amateur, silent shutter can be useful at times - but mainly to not annoy other spectators if you shoot very close to them. The drawback is the drop in FPS of course.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
And the 5D3 users berating the 1DX resumes. To each his own!
Ah but in my case it is because i have experience with both a 1d series and a 5dm3. My experiences with both lead me to my conclusions more than being a fanboy of the 5dm3 even though i regard it highly to be sure. Of course the 1dx is what we all want but then we also have to consider the use and decide what camera based on their strengths and weaknesses. Its easy to know how it plays out when you have both systems.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
If I could have just ONE camera, I would get the 1D X, even for weddings. The silent shooting of the 5D 3 almost makes me choose it, but if I had just one camera, I think I could do things more quickly, and improvise a little better with the 1D X.

But you really need two cameras for weddings and just about anything else, if you are a full time photographer. Changing lenses on a single camera body is so 1990s.

And if weddings was all I was doing, I would get two 5D IIIs. Two of them are a killer wedding combo.

5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
Shutter sounds (not silent) from the digital picture site.  Just thought some might enjoy this.

5DM3, then 7D, 1DM4, 1DX   ;D ;D ;D

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-5D-III-7D-1D-IV-1D-X-Burst.mp3
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:55:02 PM by Studio1930 »
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »
Shutter sounds (not silent) from the digital picture site.  Just thought some might enjoy this.

5DM3, then 7D, 1DM4, 1DX   ;D ;D ;D

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-5D-III-7D-1D-IV-1D-X-Burst.mp3

are you sure that last one was a 1DX - sounded more like sound effects to saving private ryan.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »

True about golf, but shutter sound is barely of any importance in tennis. At least if you are shooting as a professional. As an amateur, silent shutter can be useful at times - but mainly to not annoy other spectators if you shoot very close to them. The drawback is the drop in FPS of course.

Wrong.  I shoot tennis for a Division II college.  The players can hear the shutter because you are THAT close in those instances.  This isn't Wimbeldon.  Again, don't generalize for every sports shooter.  Of course I can go stand in the parking lot with a 200 f/2L lens with a 1DX, but if I am allowed to get much closer, I'm going to.  The silent shutter on the 5D3 is GREAT for these matches. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »

Wrong.  I shoot tennis for a Division II college.  The players can hear the shutter because you are THAT close in those instances.  This isn't Wimbeldon.  Again, don't generalize for every sports shooter.  Of course I can go stand in the parking lot with a 200 f/2L lens with a 1DX, but if I am allowed to get much closer, I'm going to.  The silent shutter on the 5D3 is GREAT for these matches.

D30 Baby. 8)

cliffec

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
My point wasn't really whether or not they could hear you. I'm sure they can at times. But in my opinion, tennis players just have to accept shutter sounds and learn not to be distracted by them. If they ever reach pro level, they will be hearing that sound over and over again. I don't think there's any etiquette in tennis requiring absolute silence like in golf. Having said that, I am aware of players complaining, but it's extremely rare. They better learn  to get used to it instead.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
My point wasn't really whether or not they could hear you. I'm sure they can at times. But in my opinion, tennis players just have to accept shutter sounds and learn not to be distracted by them. If they ever reach pro level, they will be hearing that sound over and over again. I don't think there's any etiquette in tennis requiring absolute silence like in golf. Having said that, I am aware of players complaining, but it's extremely rare. They better learn  to get used to it instead.

Presumably, if you're photographing a sport, it's at least in part because you enjoy watching the athletes perform at their best.

Would you rather watch (and photograph) the athletes actually at their best, or would you rather watch (and photograph) athletes pissed off at you because you're annoying them with your machine-gun-sounding camera?

And which photographer do you think the athlete will prefer working with for an off-the-court photo shoot: the one whom they didn't even notice during the match, or the one whose camera made a really annoying braaaaaaap sound every time a critical point came up?

Cheers,

b&

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
Dear Photogs,

If price is NOT a concern, which camera would you choose for weddings, engagements, & portraitures?

1DX or 5D III, and why?

5Dmk3 hands down because you don't need 12 fps ever for this kind of shooting 6 is just fine and why carry 2 bulky 1d bodies if you can carry 2 less bulky 5d bodies. you are on your feet and moving and shooting pretty much constantly for alot of hours and cutting down the bulk makes a difference another reason i prefer the sigma 85 f1.4 over using a 70-200 in these shoots
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »