October 23, 2014, 02:15:40 PM

Author Topic: EOS 1DX vs. EOS 5D MARK III for Weddings,  (Read 18994 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 1DX vs. EOS 5D MARK III for Weddings,
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
Wrong.  I shoot tennis for a Division II college.  The players can hear the shutter because you are THAT close in those instances.  This isn't Wimbeldon.  Again, don't generalize for every sports shooter.  Of course I can go stand in the parking lot with a 200 f/2L lens with a 1DX, but if I am allowed to get much closer, I'm going to.  The silent shutter on the 5D3 is GREAT for these matches.
My point wasn't really whether or not they could hear you. I'm sure they can at times. But in my opinion, tennis players just have to accept shutter sounds and learn not to be distracted by them. If they ever reach pro level, they will be hearing that sound over and over again. I don't think there's any etiquette in tennis requiring absolute silence like in golf. Having said that, I am aware of players complaining, but it's extremely rare. They better learn  to get used to it instead.

Presumably, if you're photographing a sport, it's at least in part because you enjoy watching the athletes perform at their best.

Would you rather watch (and photograph) the athletes actually at their best, or would you rather watch (and photograph) athletes pissed off at you because you're annoying them with your machine-gun-sounding camera?

And which photographer do you think the athlete will prefer working with for an off-the-court photo shoot: the one whom they didn't even notice during the match, or the one whose camera made a really annoying braaaaaaap sound every time a critical point came up?

Cheers,

b&

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so true.  I care about the athletes, because I was once a college athlete and I'm not going to be an ass and machine-gun shoot the tennis match, especially serving.  The 1DX's shutter is a machine gun.  The 1D Mark IV is also better/quieter, to a degree.  You develop many relationships with athletes and parents off the tennis court, or playing field, or what have you, in Division II sports.  I think of them first, not which camera I'm using.  I guess I'm good enough that I don't NEED the 1DX to get the tennis shots I want?  Again, the 5D3 is great for tennis, just great.

cliffec, I'm not trying to be rude to you, I'm really not.  I'm just sharing my personal perspective and how I choose to photograph different sports and why.  Even if I'm being given money, I'm still a guest at the venue.  That's all.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
Its not really about us, what we do is for them anyway. When we get paid its a win win. How did this become about sports lol...This thread is for weddings.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

scotthillphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Scott Hill Photography
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
You have two amazing camera's now I haven't shot with the new 1Dx but I have heard about how it does compare. So first let me start off the 5D3 was almost made for wedding photographers and is freaking awesome. I come from sports photography where I only used the 1D line and the focus is not as fast with the 5D, its not bad but I would love it to be faster and the other disappointment is the ISO the 1Dx again slightly beats it. But the 5D has the silent shutter which is freaking awesome. So for the price point I went for the 5D3, I will most likely be buying back into the 1D line but still not sure if I can justify the 1Dx price tag....
Bodies: Canon 7D and 5D Markiii - Lenses: 70-200 2.8L, 50 1.2L, 30 1.4, and 10-20 3.5 - Then flashes, strobes, stands, etc....

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »
1DX or 5D III, and why?

Depends on type of shooting.

Better metering (color, exposure, etc.), reliability, responsivness -> 1D X.
Less heavy, silent shutter, good overall performance -> 5D Mark III.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 08:09:54 AM »
1DX or 5D III, and why?

+1

Put another way:
Wedding to photograph: 5D3
Runaway Bride: 1DX

:P

(too tempting to pass up)

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »
1DX or 5D III, and why?

+1

Put another way:
Wedding to photograph: 5D3
Runaway Bride: 1DX

:P

(too tempting to pass up)

+1
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

fotografnuntaiasi

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »
If money is not the problem, I don't see any motivation not to want the 1Dx.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »