August 29, 2014, 01:51:55 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else preorder the EOS M yet?  (Read 3628 times)

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Anyone else preorder the EOS M yet?
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
I just pre-orderd the EOS M today with EOS Lens adapter from Amazon. Anyone else betting this will be a nice camera to supplement your existing tool case?

I have a 5D III as my primary camera.
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

canon rumors FORUM

Anyone else preorder the EOS M yet?
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else preorder the EOS M yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »
I was going to but I'm disciplining myself to keep a specialized kit for what I do

(In my head:  I promise I won't buy the EOS-M, I promise I won't buy the 24-70L II, I promise I won't buy the 24-70L II...........unless I save up for it, I promise I won't buy the EOS-M).
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »

I'd probably never buy one, but I am curious to see what a "pro" version of it might look like.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

I have been thinking selling my s100 and get EOS M as a replacement. I'm not in the rush, but more likely will get one by x-mas 2012.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »
Can I ask, what is the point/ rush to pre-order this? Why not wait till its out and see how it progresses? I'm willing to put any amount of money on the fact that the 2nd body in this system will be better than the first.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Gman

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:33:56 AM »
If the darned thing was available now I'd buy one but I am not going to pre order something that wont be available till the 19th of October. Canon is just a big tease!

stolpe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »
I'm not sure but I'm thinking of order an EOS-M maybe with and FE adapter, maybe for Christmas. But I will first see what the review has to say about it.

Still haven't really decided if I should save for a new L-lens or a second camera.

Time will tell...

/ Stolpe

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »
Waaaaay to pricey!! It's £770 over here, for that I could get a 60d, Ti4 or save up an extra £300 or so and get a 7d. Granted, they're all considerably larger but I think it should be a hell of a lot cheaper for what it is. Also, its not really that pocketable. Put an the adapter on and an ef lens and you might as well carry a 7d and get better form factor and performance.

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
I'll wait at least a year, maybe two. The current model is about $200 too expensive. I'm not interested in the 22 f/2 prime lens, which is included in the only U.S. kit available. It isn't possible to buy just the body. And there are reports of very slow focusing. Give me a day and I'll think of another couple reasons.

Given what Sony is doing with their E-mount and Panasonic is doing with Micro-4/3, there is huge potential in the Canon system but this has not been an auspicious beginning.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
It's as pocketable as a 550D which is £499, inc. EF-S 18-55mm IS and built in EF adaptor!)
Or of course body only and a 40 pancake would be nice.

Oh and apparently it's for woman, not condescending at all eh Canon! :o

Pre-order? sorry that one is beyond me

6950rpm

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
I pre ordered one of the day of the announcement!

It will go along side my 7D and 5D mkII.

Am really looking forward to have a smaller lighter body to go travelling with.

Can see myself mostly using it with the 22mm and the 40mm via the adapter.

KitsVancouver

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
I'm definitely going to get one for the wife and kids, but I am going to wait for a sale at Christmas.  Being a consumerish device, I expect there will be some good sales (more than we see on SLRs anyways). 

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
this is not a camera I will pre-order but just regular order when the reviews are completed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
I've been looking at this camera as a potential replacement for my SD950IS camera, and as a backup/travel camera to supplement my 60D. While I'm excited about it and its potential, I might wait for at least 1-2 reviews on a final version of the product before I pull the trigger.

OTOH, I've already started considering possible lenses for use with it, since just about every lens I have would be impractical for a camera that small. With the exception of the 40 2.8, that is.

- The stock 18-55 zoom appears to be junk. Sorry if I offend anyone, but after looking at Canon's sample images taken with that lens...it appears to be no better than the DSLR version of the 18-55 (kit lens). So...I've been eyeing another general walkaround zoom that can be comfortably used with that camera. I've settled for the (now discontinued) 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 lens, probably the most compact zoom Canon makes. It's apparently the size of the EF-S 60 Macro (I'll find out in just a moment). And while it's no 24-105 4 or 24-70 2.8, it's definitely a step up in quality from the 18-55 from what I've read. And believe it or not, a 24-85 used + the EF adapter only comes out to be a little more than what they're asking for the 18-55 M. Only downside is no IS, but I think I can deal with that.

- The 50mm 1.8 I think would be perfect for a camera like this. I was thinking of the 40mm 2.8, but the extra 1+ stop of the 50 might come in handy. Until they come out with an M-mount version of the 50 that can match or surpass the SLR version in quality, this is a good (and inexpensive) solution to get DSLR-level quality in a compact package.

- And, of course, there is the stock 22mm lens that comes with the camera. Makes the camera small and pocketable (?), which is nice, and it would make the M a great 2nd camera to stuff in my DSLR camera bag. However, I'd like to have a little more reach by default.

But all this might be moot if they don't fix some big issues. The slow AF reports are concerning.

unadog

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
I have the T4i. I pre-ordered the M as soon as it was announced.  It would be a great camera for video - basically the T4i in a slightly smaller form factor.

For video, I planned on using the 40 mm STM, the 18-135 STM (that comes in the kit with the T4i), and the 22 mm kit lens that is also an STM I think?

I actually just cancelled my order today, as I bought a 5D3 that I had not planned on. No need for 3 cameras, I barely need two. 

I might swap the T4i out for the M for video though. It would be a nice small kit, especially with the 40 mm and 22 mm.

Michael

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »