December 20, 2014, 04:13:34 PM

Author Topic: What size Softbox  (Read 9852 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: What size Softbox
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »
If money isn't an issue I think speedlights are the hands down winner.  You can always put a couple of them together and use them as one light.  This way get the portability of the speedlight, ettl, maunal control, all from the camera, and the power of the studio lights.  But this type of set up might mean your kids aren't going to college.

True.  I use speedlights quite a bit.  However, I NEVER fire the flash directly at my subject indoors; I always bounce.  Studio lights, however, are slightly different and obviously can shine at your subject.  This is just my personal preference of doing things; the very little that I do these things :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »

modea727

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
I am writing about the studio set up seen in the photo on this page showing the two alien bee 800's with the umbrellas. I am going to shoot bands and am curious what the two lights are that are being used to light the back drop.

danjwark

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
I am writing about the studio set up seen in the photo on this page showing the two alien bee 800's with the umbrellas. I am going to shoot bands and am curious what the two lights are that are being used to light the back drop.

Not directly familiar with which lights are used in the picture. However, the basic idea is that you try to meter the backdrop (for white) 1 stop over your subject, your key at 0 and your fill at -1. This will make the background completely white without bleeding back onto the subject. Keeping your fill at -1 helps your subject not have flat lighting but some soft shadows. So basically, almost any colour matched light source works for the background - just don't over do it. A light meter will greatly help in setting it all up correctly.
Just my 2 cents.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 12:29:42 AM »
bigger the better

Almost always true!

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »
OP: Gary Fongs tend to be inefficient as they spray light n all directions. The 24x24 softbox you linked is more efficient as it propels light forward and not lost behind the box. It has the added benefit of not contributing flare to your lens if it is in front of your camera position (any light source coming into your lens will create flare but that is another story).

Enjoy and post some pics when you get it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »