November 20, 2017, 09:46:36 PM

Author Topic: Cheap Camera Ideas...worth it?  (Read 7996 times)

CanNotYet

• EOS M5
Re: Cheap Camera Ideas...worth it?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »
First post as a newly registered lurker. I had to put in something in this thread. I think underjammer is totally right here. My first thought was also: what will she be doing? I have a 30D with some lenses, but if I went to India for 2-3 weeks, it would stay at home. Lugging that thing halfway around the world aint the smoothest thing to do.

I pretty much agree with all underjammers suggestions, but like to add (gasp!) third-party lenses into the mix. :) Newer ones have few (if any) compability problems with an older Rebel, and can be had at rock-bottom prices.

But number one suggestion. SX 230Hs. Under budget, nice pics (I know... Stop being geeks about it) :), good zoom, small size. Perfect for travel. Get a gorilla-pod and off to enjoy India.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »

Jotho

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 02:54:53 AM »
Doesn't it depend on what the OP actually wants to achieve with photos from the India trip. If they are for commercial use as travel photos, then definitely stay with a DSLR and decent glass.

But if they are for personal use, a decent quality pocket camera is going to make for happier traveling. The number one golden rule for travel is to travel light. The Canon S100 is an obvious choice. I've recommended it to plenty of people who have absolutely fallen in love with this little gem, and thanked me for the recommendation. They have valued the comparative anonymity of a point and shoot over a DSLR, particularly in a destination like India. Sure it's a little more than the proposed $200 point and shoot, but it's IQ, build quality, low light performance and startlingly strong video performance make the S100 the travelers  friend.

-PW

+1 on this, I have also recommended the S100 to a few friends and they've been happy with it. I am very happy with mine, small, comparably rugged, great image quality and low light performance. Only thing I would criticize is battery time. Easily addressed though. Although this is out of budget, I still think it would be worth it. She has probably spent significant money on the tickets and other so this would still be a small part of the overall budget.

For a cheap traveler's lens I would recommend Sigma 18-200. Great choice for travel photography if you're learning. Obviously not the best glass in the market, but very useful.

Rocky

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 02:35:44 AM »
Doesn't it depend on what the OP actually wants to achieve with photos from the India trip. If they are for commercial use as travel photos, then definitely stay with a DSLR and decent glass.

But if they are for personal use, a decent quality pocket camera is going to make for happier traveling. The number one golden rule for travel is to travel light. The Canon S100 is an obvious choice. I've recommended it to plenty of people who have absolutely fallen in love with this little gem, and thanked me for the recommendation. They have valued the comparative anonymity of a point and shoot over a DSLR, particularly in a destination like India. Sure it's a little more than the proposed $200 point and shoot, but it's IQ, build quality, low light performance and startlingly strong video performance make the S100 the travelers  friend.

-PW

+1 on this, I have also recommended the S100 to a few friends and they've been happy with it. I am very happy with mine, small, comparably rugged, great image quality and low light performance. Only thing I would criticize is battery time. Easily addressed though. Although this is out of budget, I still think it would be worth it. She has probably spent significant money on the tickets and other so this would still be a small part of the overall budget.

For a cheap traveler's lens I would recommend Sigma 18-200. Great choice for travel photography if you're learning. Obviously not the best glass in the market, but very useful.
Both of you have gone beyond the $200 budget.
Rebel XT and the 18-55 IS lens is very light.  this combination can fit in a lady'e larger purse  easily.

tiger82

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
It just occurred to me that asking a group where most of the people own 7D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D4, 1DS3, and 1Dx about a cheap alternative is going to get skewed answers.  The Rebel XT is the cheap camera.
The shutter delay and slow AF of most P&S cameras ensures a lot of missed opportunities during what may be a once in a lifetime trip.  Go with the XT
1DX Mark II. 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II with various Canon glass covering 8mm-300mm

friedmud

• EOS M5
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
I own an XSi and a 7D and recently got to use an XTi.  Wow there are a lot of features missing in the XTi.  If you are going for a cheap and light older body I would recommend the XSi (maybe used).  It has a great sensor, has liveview, much better screen, mirror lockup, decent AF.

I can't see going any lower than that.  If you're going lower then I would recommend a point and shoot... The photos you get will look better (especially without editing them).

Oh - I'm off to trek across England for the next two weeks with about 50-60 pounds of gear on my back... So maybe I'm not the best one to give advice here either :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »