Poll

Do you Love Primes?

I Love Primes.
128 (91.4%)
I Don't Love Primes.
12 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: August 30, 2012, 05:08:07 PM

Author Topic: I love Primes.  (Read 11567 times)

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: I love Primes.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:29 PM »
Primes are what I used in the 70's because the zoom lenses sucked.

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »
I love primes.  I love zooms.  Each has their purpose, and which I'll use depends on my subject and mood.  Glass is good, whether prime or zoom.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
There are lenses that I love that happen to be primes. The first two that spring to mind are the TS-E 24 II and the 400 f/2.8, but there're plenty others. The 180 macro, for example, is awesome for passport-style head shots, in addition to everything else it's awesome at.

There are, of course, situations where a prime would be a royal pain in the ass. I'm not a wedding photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I did just play "Uncle Bob" at my niece's wedding, and I can't imagine using anything other than the 24-105 for the reception. (I'd definitely want primes for the ceremony and portraits, though.) Well...granted, I can imagine having enough experience at shooting wedding receptions to know how to do it well with primes, but even then I strongly suspect I'd still prefer a zoom.

Horses for courses and all that....

Cheers,

b&

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »

Interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of that, but thinking back to the seventies, I can't remember even having a zoom. Can't think of anyone who used one either.

Times sure have changed. I've been sitting here processing some stuff shot through an EF-S 15-85 and I'm stunned by the sharpness of some of them. No 35mm in the seventies would have produced such work.

Primes are what I used in the 70's because the zoom lenses sucked.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
I suppose, given the types of replies we're seeing in this thread making comparisons with zooms (which is not the apparent intent of the poll - which doesn't mention zooms at all), a better set of questions would be:

Do you prefer primes?
Do you prefer zooms?
No preference.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

On the other hand, it doesn't mention lenses either.

Maybe he's asking about prime numbers? I think they're pretty special.

Or prime rib? Never had it.

I guess zoom lenses were just conspicuous by their absence.

I suppose, given the types of replies we're seeing in this thread making comparisons with zooms (which is not the apparent intent of the poll - which doesn't mention zooms at all), a better set of questions would be:

Do you prefer primes?
Do you prefer zooms?
No preference.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Rick Massie

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
It's a mix of both, for sure. Primes are great because they tend to have wider apertures at a more affordable price. Wide apertures are important to a lot of my work. However, my 70-200 is great, and I'd never want to part with it.

But if I had to choose, I'd go a kit full of primes, since I have 3 bodies, I can still have some flexibility with focal length without swapping lenses if I need to. And I doubt I'll ever see any f2.0 or faster zooms!

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
On the other hand, it doesn't mention lenses either.

Maybe he's asking about prime numbers? I think they're pretty special.

Or prime rib? Never had it.

I guess zoom lenses were just conspicuous by their absence.
Hahah yes, perhaps... I just took what the OP said on page two of this thread as my starting point...

You love primes or you don't, how much simpler can a poll be? :P
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
I am new to the DSLR side and am quite used to zooming from P&S cameras.  I intentionally purchased the 100 macro with my kitted camera because macro fit my shooting needs.  I found it to have other uses and love it for that.  I got a 50 f/1.4 for low light use and use it quite a bit indoors. 

I find I actually love any lens that gives me a great shot in whatever situation I intend to use it.

Indoors I think primes are better in my twisted thoughts because they are faster and there is less space to cover so "zooming with your feet" is just fine to me, and zooms are better outdoors but these are just generalized as I have lots of learning to do with a DSLR.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

marek.sykora

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
I use primes for following reasons:

- size and weight, cheaper filters (ND still necessary)
- big aperture = more lights for AF and viewfinder
- price
- easier to setup microadjustment

I own 28/1.8 and 85/1.8, both are excellent when fine tuned by microadjustment. Currenty waiting for 50/1.4 IS.

I dream about some lightweight zoom for EF-S with IS for video, e.g. 17-55/4.

17-55 is probably very good, but:
- too heavy
- too big lens hood
- too expensive

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
I use primes for following reasons:

- size and weight, cheaper filters (ND still necessary)
- big aperture = more lights for AF and viewfinder
- price
- easier to setup microadjustment

Erm...Canon's best primes are the biggest, heaviest, and most expensive lenses in the lineup. And the fastest of the supertelephotos is only f/2.8. The top of the heap is f/5.6.

The 35 f/1.4 and the 24-105 are easy to mistrake for each other at a quick glance if you squint.

And, except for the Plastic Fantastic, Canon's cheapest lenses are the consumer zooms.

What I'm getting at isn't that primes or zooms are inherently superior, but rather that all lenses are compromises. We all want a TS-E 12-1200 f/0.8 L IS AF, and we want it to be the size and weight of the Shorty McForty, and we want it to cost as much as the Plastic Fantastic. Even Canon wants to sell us that lens. Of course, none of us will ever see it on the shelf....

Cheers

b&

marek.sykora

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 02:08:56 AM »
Right, L-primes are very expensive and heavy, fortunately cheaper siblings are good enough. They are special pieces of glass for special purposes, e.g. 50/1.2L, is definitely better at lot apertures than 50/1.4, the 1.4 is not good at f/2.0, the L is. At f/4.0 all primes are superb and compared to common zooms.

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:04 AM »
When I shoot for pleasure at my own pace, have the time and quite, and want quality, its always primes. I'll choose a wide, or long, or normal as my "theme" for that shoot, go out, and use my imagination.

When I go to a birthday party and need to grab shots, I'll use a zoom for flexibility. If I'm going on a family trip and never know what I'll need, I'll take along a zoom as well.

For portraits - its always a prime, as the zooms, are not bright enough for natural light, and I do not own a studio.

Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

M.ST

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 05:16:09 AM »
If you want get the best out of your camera use Canon and Zeiss prime lenses.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Shouldn't the options be:
I love primes
I love (a) prime
I have no idea what a prime is   ;D

Took the 5DmkII out this weekend with the 200mm 2.8 and my 85mm 1.8 to the aquarium with my family.

I hate to sound like the masses, but I really missed IS -- my hands are NOT steady, regardless of how I brace.  I really look forward to (someday) having the stabilization be done on the mount and not the lens.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)