July 30, 2014, 11:31:38 AM

Author Topic: EOS BODY FOR ARCHITECTURE  (Read 6974 times)

Cannon Man

Re: EOS BODY FOR ARCHITECTURE
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
I also recommend 5D3 with TS-E 24mm II,

I have had the TS-E 24 II for one year now and i absolutely love it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
Pick up a 5D2 and use the money you'd save by skipping the 5D3 to get a 24mm TS-E II.

/threadover

Oh yeah!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Does the geared head help align panoramas?

Well no, not properly. Although, I'm sure there's some kind of technique. I think for real panos you need a special head/rail system. (Someone chime in here if I'm wrong. I don't shoot many panos.)

For simple panos, you can use the TS-E with great effect. Simply rotate the base of the TS-E so the Shift becomes a horizontal movement. (You may want to rotate the Tilt movement back to the standard position for downward tilt to extend DOF. Else, you'll have "Swing" movements left and right along the vertical axis.)

With horizontal Shift, you'll have parallax-free movement up to 12-degrees in either direction from center. With some simple stitching or Auto-Align Layers in Ps...you can create a pretty convincing pano!
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
Also, images from a high MP camera is going to take a lot of harddisk place. Unless you are intending to make large prints or some drastic cropping, running out of space on the hard drive will be the only difference you will probably feel between 5Dmk2 and a high MP cam... IMHO anyway...

Cheers!
mRAW, sRAW.  Problem solved.  You can always downscale resolution, but it's impossible to add resolution beyond the camera's capabilities.

I agree TS-E lenses are a necessity (especially 17mm and 24mm I or II).  Full frame is a definite.  I'd say a 5D or 5D Mark II will save you a ton of money so you'll be able to buy both FLs.  Good tripod and head is also necessary. 

Additionally, you could add a used T2i, T3i, T4i or 60D in order to acheive 28mm and 38mm TS lenses with the crop factor (at 18mp; cropping the a FF picture from 5D would be 5MP, 5D II would be 8.2MP).
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

art_d

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
I would say yes, you should go FF, if only to be able to use the 24TS-E II :)

I shoot architecture professionally and use a 5DII with the 17, 24II, and 45 TSE lenses. I consider the 24TS-E II the most useful lens ever made. In my opinion, it's a wonderful focal length for architecture because it gives you a nice wide angle that still doesn't feel like an exaggerated projection of the space you're shooting. It has practically no barrel distortion, and it is beautifully sharp. The 17mm is very nice, but in practice I very seldom use it on commercial work, even on interiors...but of course if I run into a very constrained space, it's great to have. I would say 75% of my shots are with the 24, 15% with the 45 (mostly for details), and 10% with the 17.

There is no reason to get a 5DIII for architecture since (in theory) you should be shooting on a tripod at low ISO and using manual focus...under those circumstances a 5DII will give you the same images quality. So save yourself some money there.

As far as waiting for a higher megapixel model...personally, I don't think you need to wait. The 5DII will perform so much better than the Powershot you're using right now! A hypothetical higher mp FF camera will probably only perform marginally better than a 5DII.

Good luck :)

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
My understanding is that with a TS-E you can not just correct the shot angle, you can also make sure that e.g a building front you're shooting under an angle with a wide aperture, is completely in focus - because you can simultaneously adjust perspective and focus plane. Is that correct?

Also, I don't quite get why FF is a necessity. Having wide angles is great and I love my 5D3 with anything 17-24'ish on it, but I'd assume a 7D with a TS-E17mm would be about as good for this purpose, especially since you get bigger DOF at similar apertures - which, for architecture, I'd think is good. Only reason I can think of is if you go for prints measured in feet rather than in inches. How am I wrong here? :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
I managed to get a used 24TSE for approx 30% the price of the new 24TSEII. It's a great lens with 5DII.

You can always get the 17TSE later if you prefer.

Good hunting
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

kia

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »
hi
thanks very much for your advices .
 so i must go FF ,  with tse -17 and 24 .... .  sorry but one more question : do you think having 16-35 mk2 or24-70 is at all nessecery along my 2 tse lenses , or a waste of money ? and one more thing .... my power shot is veryweak on iso performance ( max 400) so most of the time i need a stable surface as a tripod ( because i dont have one ) specially for interiors . so after all this ... do you recommed 5d2( my iso problem) ?
 i am looking forward to your precious replies ....   

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
hi
 so i must go FF ,  with tse -17 and 24 .... .  sorry but one more question : do you think having 16-35 mk2 or24-70 is at all nessecery along my 2 tse lenses , or a waste of money ? and one more thing .... my power shot is veryweak on iso performance ( max 400) so most of the time i need a stable surface as a tripod ( because i dont have one ) specially for interiors . so after all this ... do you recommed 5d2( my iso problem) ?

Hey Kia, I've sent you a Direct Message. I can help you with most of this if you're interested...
www.dryanparker.com

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
If you need good IQ, you cannot beat D800. But for that, you have to get Nikon, as Canon is stuck with its 10 year old sensor tech. Since Canon sales are good, they have no incentive to use better sensors. Unless you are stuck to Canon due to financial/equipment commitments, Nikon is the better bet at this time.

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »
I've used the following setup with truly outstanding results: 5D2 + TS-E 24/3.5L II + Manfrotto 410 Geared head + LEE Filters + Cable Release

The Geared Head was the big surprise for me. It's a phenomenal piece of equipment for fine-tuning the shifts when shooting architecture. Without a tripod collar for the TS-E, you're mounted to the tripod via the camera body. When shifting, it's really a delicate balance between the attitude of the camera sensor and the amount of shifting to maintain your horizon. Having the Geared Head with knobs for each of the 3 axes is critical.

(As luck would have it, this entire setup is listed for sale, as I'm switching focus. DM me if interested!)
Does the geared head help align panoramas?

Hey what's the green cube on the top of the camera? And what do you use for the what I assume is a neutral density filter, I've been dyin tryin to figure out the best approach for ND filters! Btw cool photo!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

art_d

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
hi

I would say FF is a must, TSE 24 is a must, and TSE17 is not that important but nice if you can afford it.

I do not think having a zoom lens is necessary for architecture. I would recommend a 45TSE instead if you need something to get tighter for details.

You absolutely should have a tripod. So ISO performance is irrelevant, since you should almost never have a need to go to higher ISO. (Unless you need to be capturing people moving in the spaces with fast shutter speeds, in which case things get more complicated.)

art_d

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
My understanding is that with a TS-E you can not just correct the shot angle, you can also make sure that e.g a building front you're shooting under an angle with a wide aperture, is completely in focus - because you can simultaneously adjust perspective and focus plane. Is that correct?
In theory yes you can adjust the focus plane with tilt. However in architecture shooting it should rarely be necessary because, if shooting on a tripod, you don't really need to shoot at wide aperture. Tilt may be more useful if you have something in the very close foreground you need to be in sharp focus as well as the background. But in reality, stopping down to f/11-f/13 with one of the wide angle TSEs will usually give you very good results with sufficient depth of field.

Also, I don't quite get why FF is a necessity. Having wide angles is great and I love my 5D3 with anything 17-24'ish on it, but I'd assume a 7D with a TS-E17mm would be about as good for this purpose, especially since you get bigger DOF at similar apertures - which, for architecture, I'd think is good. Only reason I can think of is if you go for prints measured in feet rather than in inches. How am I wrong here? :)
Theoretically yes, you can shoot the 17 on a crop sensor and get close to a FF with the 24, but, with a 1.6 crop factor the 17 is more like a 27mm. Also, the the 24mm is bit better of a performer. And if getting the ultimate in performance isn't an issue, why bother with the TSEs at all? :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »
Hey what's the green cube on the top of the camera? And what do you use for the what I assume is a neutral density filter, I've been dyin tryin to figure out the best approach for ND filters! Btw cool photo!

Just a $10 three-axis hot shoe level...also worth its weight in gold for architecture shooting. (Yes, many tripods/heads have spirit levels, but not often in a vertical orientation.)

I use LEE Filters...the 4x6 ones. For the shot I attached, I used a LEE Big Stopper (10-stop ND). Thanks for the shout out!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:01:00 PM by dryanparker »
www.dryanparker.com

dendowling

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • flickr.com/dendowling
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »

For architecture it's not necessary to have a 16-35 zoom if you have 17 & 24 TSEs. But, you may want to have the short zoom for other reasons - maybe for sports, kids, hiking. So, if you don't want to spend so much money on lenses you might choose to get a 16-35 or a 17-40 instead of a 17TSE if you have other uses for the zoom. Then occasionally when the  24TSE isn't wide enough you can use the wide end zoom for architecture and just be careful to not tilt the camera too much or do minimal perspective correction in post process.

The EOS 5Ds are good for architecture. The other (more expensive) EOS full frame bodies are geared more for high volume, speed/action shooting - so if you don't need the speed for other reasons there's no need to spend the extra money on other EOS full frames. For architecture, I don't think the 5Dmk3 is necessary, 5Dmk2 is fine.

But, here are some benefits of 5Dmk3 over mk2:
mk3 has up to 7 frame Auto Bracketing, mk2 has only 3
mk3 does  +-5 EV Auto Bracketing, mk2 only +-2
mk3 can use CF or SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, mk2 only uses CF cards
mk3 has 61 AF point sensors, mk2 has 9 points
mk3 shoots continuous 6 fps, mk2 shoots 3.9 fps

The extra auto bracketing on mk3 is cool if you do a ton of HDR. But, it's not too hard to just bracket manually - shoot, dial 3 clicks, shoot, dial 3 clicks, shoot, dial 3 clicks, etc. The extra AF points and fast fps are not necessary for architecture.

If you're going to shoot architecture with a shift lens you have to use a tripod. The shift setting is not going to be accurate while hand-holding. And, often in architecture you want a lot of depth of field so, you use a tight aperture and slow shutter. Also, nice to shoot long shutters to keep the building sharp while letting trees, water, people blur out.

Yeah, the newer DSLRs will have way better ISO, less noise than the small point&shoot cameras. But again, you'll probably want to shoot architecture in mid 100-400 ISO and need a tripod anyway. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:03:02 PM by dendowling »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »