April 17, 2014, 10:36:10 AM

Author Topic: Funny thing happening across the camera world  (Read 4054 times)

poias

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Funny thing happening across the camera world
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Within the camera/dslr world, based on the rumor sites, Canon-Sony-Nikon seem pretty active.

Nikon Rumors has D600 updates, Sony Alpha Rumors has FF mirrorless and camcorder updates, while Canon Rumors has Canon printers updates? And CR1-rated "EOS 3D" Buzz about low priced FF? No knock of CR, but is it that hard to get Canon info?

Either Canon is really good at keeping secrets, or they are asleep at their wheels.

canon rumors FORUM

Funny thing happening across the camera world
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Funny thing happening across the camera world
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »
I've been curious for a while if you just create a website called Canon Rumors and people come to you with information how how the heck that all gets started.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

CharlieB

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »

Either Canon is really good at keeping secrets, or they are asleep at their wheels.

I think you'll find that Canon keeps the secrets it chooses to.  In the past Canon has actually put out distraction/false information to throw the competition off the trail.  I think you'll find... historically... when Canon is tightest lipped, the story is going to be bigger.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:17:50 AM »
Within the camera/dslr world, based on the rumor sites, Canon-Sony-Nikon seem pretty active.

Nikon Rumors has D600 updates, Sony Alpha Rumors has FF mirrorless and camcorder updates, while Canon Rumors has Canon printers updates? And CR1-rated "EOS 3D" Buzz about low priced FF? No knock of CR, but is it that hard to get Canon info?

I kinda agree with you. From my observations, contrary to popular belief, Canon does let out some secrets. The tricky part is that truths are mixed with lies, real products with pre-production samples. Canon is very good at keeping secrets. I am sure when the entry level 6D, high megapixel 3D or newly improved 70D is announced, CanonRumors will point to some obscure rumor that surfaced several months ago to vindicate itself. It has always been this way.  ;D

M.ST

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »
46 megapixel on a small FF sensor is absolutely a joke. Forget this rumor.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »

People said the same thing about rumors related to 18 MP on APS-C, 24 MP on APS-C and 36 MP on FF sensors prior to announcement.

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:30:24 AM »

We can be sure that they're pretty good at keeping secrets. Canon's habit of having several competing prototypes helps muddy the waters too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:30:24 AM »

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »
I'm guessing that Canon working in a much more "in house" fashion than most of their competitors makes keeping a lid on future products much easier.

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:28 AM »
Canon does nearly everything in house. There is no one sending spec-sheets to sony about their camers so the sensor can be made, almost all of canon's lenses, micro-motors, PCB's, and even a lot of their chips are made in house in Japan. Less Mfg's to leak info, the tighter the circle of "knowing" haha. Canon does seem to sit back, let the competition do their thing, then half a year or so later whomp it. see what the future brings
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
Each of the rumor sites have contributors who provide information, and the ones who have provided accurate information in the past are given the best CR rating.
As noted, sony does not really try to keep upcoming products secret, and nikon might want to, but is not successful.
Canon, on the other hand severely punishes those who sign non-disclosure agreements and leak the information.  They are very good at keeping a secret.
No one is perfect, and as soon as a product is almost ready for announcement, the number of people with information about the announcement grows tremendously, and leaks will happen.
There is a big difference between information based on prototype bodies and real ones, many prototypes are out there and few of them will become a released product.

pakosouthpark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »

a FF mirrorless, that sounds exciting for sony!

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

People said the same thing about rumors related to 18 MP on APS-C, 24 MP on APS-C and 36 MP on FF sensors prior to announcement.
I think the same thing even after the announcements  :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »

I think the same thing even after the announcements  :)

it may or may not be a joke and it may or may not be a good idea, but it certainly feasible.  46MP on a FF sensor happens to be the same pixel density as the aging 7D sensor, a fact which I find oddly coincident with this rumor :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »