September 19, 2014, 10:12:05 AM

Author Topic: ??? Force Firmware update??? Help - 7d lost LCD in non auto mode  (Read 3641 times)

Klahanieman

I was out shooting with the 7d today, I was shooting raw,in the middle of some fast action, a loon eating some fish, the camera locked. The top display stayed on. I noticed the auto focus started freezing right before this happened. I could turn the camera power button on and off, nothing would happen.

I pulled the batteries out and clock battery out, after a couple mins replaced batteries, back to the action all seemed fine. We continued shooting, my wife with 60d, once it settled down I noticed that my LCD would not come on to review my images. I freaked thinking maybe it was not recording to the flash card. I checked all ok.

Removed the grip and clock battery, left for a couple hrs, reinstalled set clock all seemed good.

Went to shoot a sunset tonight noticed no LCD again>>> or wait, in auto modes green bad and ca, all fine you can shoot and play back, in all other modes from P on through C3, you can shoot but not review, also no other buttons on back function, if you shoot shots in any none auto the pictures are fine if you flip dial back to auto mode you can review.

Live view button does not work either, video does not work.

Can I reinstall software its been good even the GPS has now been working fine, or any other ideas??

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:50:12 AM by Klahanieman »

canon rumors FORUM

Klahanieman

Re: Help - 7d lost LCD screen and all display only on non auto modes??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »
Update,    >:(

I have concluded that I cannot install the software again as I have no access to the LCD display in any custom mode....only in "green box" and CA and neither offer access to the custom menus..... wtf

Anyone have a way to redo firmware without access to the custom menus???

Thanks

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
Re: ??? Force Firmware update??? Help - 7d lost LCD in non auto mode
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »
You can update the firmware using EOS utility. See attached manual. Good luck.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
also I can  list you the exact order of button presses necessary for the update. Should I ?

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Help - 7d lost LCD screen and all display only on non auto modes??
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »
Update,    >:(

I have concluded that I cannot install the software again as I have no access to the LCD display in any custom mode....only in "green box" and CA and neither offer access to the custom menus..... wtf

Anyone have a way to redo firmware without access to the custom menus???

Thanks

Were you successful in reinstalling using EOS Utility?
Diane

Klahanieman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input, no luck with EOS Utility.

If I connect the camera up to the computer is is not recognized unless its in fully auto or CA dial positions.

I can turn the dial to non auto after it's connected, and it changes in the utility window on the desktop. If I select any changes "like firmware" it just say "busy"

I guess it's pooched  :(.   

Off to Canon....... Wishing now I had waited to do the software update for a little while, I was just excited since I had the GPS module in my hand for 2 months unable to use.

Sucks....

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
have  you tried if its just the screen? 
can you change settings when its in say p-mode?

To find out you could get it to green-mode, go to menu turn off the Beep, then turn to p-mode, ant then hit menu, set, turn dial press set.  And when it beeps I think you could install it blind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »

Klahanieman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 04:12:41 PM »

To find out you could get it to green-mode, go to menu turn off the Beep, then turn to p-mode, ant then hit menu, set, turn dial press set.  And when it beeps I think you could install it blind.

It's definitely not the screen, it works fine in both the auto modes, and if I take a picture in P mode, AV or whatever the picture can be viewed if I go back to either of the two auto modes.

There must be something inside the firmware that has gone aray I would assume as EOS says busy, I was shooting a continuous burst when it packed in, in raw.

It's still useable as an auto camera, but that's not how I shoot, and without display I can't set up my customs..

Very disappointed...

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »

It's definitely not the screen, it works fine in both the auto modes, and if I take a picture in P mode, AV or whatever the picture can be viewed if I go back to either of the two auto modes.

There must be something inside the firmware that has gone aray I would assume as EOS says busy, I was shooting a continuous burst when it packed in, in raw.

It's still useable as an auto camera, but that's not how I shoot, and without display I can't set up my customs..

Very disappointed...

Yes its not the screen hardware. But in the customs is there just the  output not working or does it go deeper and  the camera is realy doing nothing. Because if its just the output then you would be able to reinstall the firmware by doing it blind.

Klahanieman

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »

Very disappointed...

Yes its not the screen hardware. But in the customs is there just the  output not working or does it go deeper and  the camera is realy doing nothing. Because if its just the output then you would be able to reinstall the firmware by doing it blind.

Once I go beyond autos, all buttons appear to not function, I also can adjust by wheel, but without the screen, and without the custom menus appearing in auto modes how can I do it blind. If you have it stepped out I will try... nothing to lose.. 

Thanks, traveling home soon I will try when I get there if you would like to post

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
OK  first turn mode dial to green go into orange-3 to Battery info.
turn mode dial to P
Press Menu
Turn rear dial ONE !  click counter-clockwise
Press Set
Turn rear dial clockwise
Press Set
wait at least 30 seconds
Press Set
Turn rear dial clockwise
Press Set
That should it be !
mine took 74 seconds to do it.

Then mine say that it was successful and a Setpress bring me to Date/Time/Zone

I hope I could help You

sitayla

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
For anybody else with this Problem

i found that Updating Firmware solved this.

but if you take of your lens it will allow you access to the "menus" in "P" in order to Update Firmware.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »
I can't believe no one mentioned using EOS Utility - you can do it entirely from your PC.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:22 PM »
The post was from August 2012, and the poster is no longer a member. It might be better to start a new topic if you have something of interest to others.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 01:15:46 AM »
I can't believe no one mentioned using EOS Utility - you can do it entirely from your PC.

Errhh... I was the second to reply and there it is: ;)

You can update the firmware using EOS utility. See attached manual. Good luck.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 01:15:46 AM »