October 26, 2014, 03:00:26 AM

Author Topic: Speeding up 1DX foc lock... Any tips?  (Read 5949 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding up 1DX foc lock... Any tips?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:42 AM »
So, did another test. laid down a brown pillow with the seam the only contrast in 12800 f1,4 1/100s light, and the 5d2 locks in Ai Servo and the 1d X does not.

So I take back my previous statement. (didn't find a problem in my real world testing) but clearly, the 5d2 focus fast and hits in lower light, it's a fact.

So Canon; here's a big fcuk you to you!!

Take what works and make it BETTER not worse...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:42 AM »

MKIIIphotographer

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
So, did another test. laid down a brown pillow with the seam the only contrast in 12800 f1,4 1/100s light, and the 5d2 locks in Ai Servo and the 1d X does not.

So I take back my previous statement. (didn't find a problem in my real world testing) but clearly, the 5d2 focus fast and hits in lower light, it's a fact.

5D2 focuses fast and hits in low light...   ::) funny, my 5D2 never did either

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »

5D2 focuses fast and hits in low light...   ::) funny, my 5D2 never did either

I didn't say track, and unless you have tried both, spare me the comments.

I, as many others, have just testet, the Ai servo lock time and in what light, is way better on the 5d2 using center point than the 1d X. And I don't think it's funny, I think it's bullsh!t and goes show yet again what Canon knows about AF systems. They use about 20 times as many crosstype points and 5 dual-cross, and still it doesn't do any better than nikon or an old 5d2 which cost half.

For me this isn't a HUGE issue, but when in a situation like wedding-receptions and other low-light portrait-stuff, this is of great significance.

I wonder how the 1d X is for concerts compared.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:08:35 PM by Viggo »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
I’m finding forum entries like this one really worrying.

Reason if you can be bothered reading, not relevant to thread though:
The 5d3 ticks all the boxes for me and I’m building up my resources to afford this with kit lens. I’m never going to earn money with this camera so the cost is a big deal and I won’t be buying another one any time soon. The problem I’ve got is that almost the very first thing I’ll be using it for is a very important (personally) wedding reception next year and if pros are having problems then I’d likely be sunk. Canon (well these posts) sure aren’t making it an easy decision to buy at the moment. I’m wondering if I should forget any FF body until all this is sorted, get a 16-35 L and use it with my current 500D on center point & 430EXii? I’m assuming that a 24-105 on a crop would be too long. The good news is that I don’t have to make any commitment until next April at the latest but if I got the 16-35 that would be at least 7 months of fun.

Are there any pros/advanced users on the forum that disagree with these findings?
Do you think there is any chance of Canon responding to these issues?

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
Had the same frustrating problem in low light the other day... (Canon 24-70 at F2.8, 1/125, ISO 1000) Even with a SpeedlLite 600EX...
My 1D IV was super fast to focus. The 1DX takes too long.  :-\
I was, though, using The 5 surrounding points... I switched to single Point next day but I haven't tested low light situations yet.
I agree with most of the comments. Can't let the camera decide. Just place the single focus point where you need it.
One problem I found with the focusing points is that if you are vertically shooting a single person, standing up, full body and filling most of the frame,  the closest AF point is under the neck. Usually I try to focus on the eyes or face... Somehow some of the AF modes have different "reaches" Some are closer to the edges than others...  :o
I'll keep researching.
Good luck to all!
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

mccallew

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
I just spoke with someone at CPS USA and he noted that this slow lock in low light is not an issue he is hearing (said I was the first). So, if you are a 1DX or 5D3 CPS member having this issue CALL them. He said he was going to do some anecdotal testing himself and speak to the engineers there to see what they've heard, but I was shocked this wasn't on the radar (vs. the black focus point they are hearing a lot about). Speak up!

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
Even if you're not a cps member, give them a notifaction on this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
I have had complaints in to Australian CPS for a month and a half - still waiting for responses on the AI Servo bug, 600EX flash lockup bug, Low light focusing bug. A month and a half... And I chase it up daily, most of the time to radio silence (especially after I nailed down the issue and made it repeatable with the help of the guys here).

The last thing I got from CPS was the Canon Inc 1DX techs are still in london and havent replied to back to him...

I gave them a month and a half - I'm already pricing up my Nikon kit (I'm not going back to a 5D2 setup) - It's unfortunate as I have shot Canon exclusively but I can't afford to have a lowlight camera/system that cant focus...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:42:16 PM by Sycotek »

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
I’m finding forum entries like this one really worrying.

Reason if you can be bothered reading, not relevant to thread though:
The 5d3 ticks all the boxes for me and I’m building up my resources to afford this with kit lens. I’m never going to earn money with this camera so the cost is a big deal and I won’t be buying another one any time soon. The problem I’ve got is that almost the very first thing I’ll be using it for is a very important (personally) wedding reception next year and if pros are having problems then I’d likely be sunk. Canon (well these posts) sure aren’t making it an easy decision to buy at the moment. I’m wondering if I should forget any FF body until all this is sorted, get a 16-35 L and use it with my current 500D on center point & 430EXii? I’m assuming that a 24-105 on a crop would be too long. The good news is that I don’t have to make any commitment until next April at the latest but if I got the 16-35 that would be at least 7 months of fun.

Are there any pros/advanced users on the forum that disagree with these findings?
Do you think there is any chance of Canon responding to these issues?

Forget a wedding reception with a 5d3 or 1dx for now until they fix the issue or recall the units. If they release a ff with the 7D af then there isn't any issues imo (7D af is fine in lowlight). ATM canon have had ample time to reply to Me (had tickets out weeks before the Olympic games) but still nothing.

Ironically the 24-105 is my favorite lens on my 7D (I tend to prefer to shoot long then wide and at 24mm on crop you dont tend to get much warping of people in groups as you do on FF) - get a 580 and or 600 - it's 1 stop of light difference in power output and completely worth every extra $.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:44:21 PM by Sycotek »

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »
I gave them a month and a half - I'm already pricing up my Nikon kit (I'm not going back to a 5D2 setup) - It's unfortunate as I have shot Canon exclusively but I can't afford to have a lowlight camera/system that cant focus...
And you'll have another kind of issues with Nikon  :)
I believe if a camera doesn't work for you, it's a reason to improve your workflow first, and just then think about jumping to the other side.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »
And you'll have another kind of issues with Nikon  :)
I believe if a camera doesn't work for you, it's a reason to improve your workflow first, and just then think about jumping to the other side.

Oh I most certainly will ! No Question - but it's a lesser of 2 evils. I can handle a camera that's a little green - I can't handle a camera that doesn't focus in a reception hall, if Your income is based on you not missing moments then You have to make a decision. As stated originally a 7D and 5D2 kill the 1DX in lowlight - and I have been more then patient with Canon. The 1DX is meant to last me 3 years but I can't work with a camera this slow. Under normal circumstances - fixing workflow would be adding af assist which only makes it slower...

I have tried but its obvious there wont be an immediate fix.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »