October 31, 2014, 10:31:04 AM

Author Topic: 5d Mk III dilemma  (Read 6599 times)

DouglasRC

Re: 5d Mk III dilemma
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:36 AM »
Thanks again everyone – I bought the kit Monday afternoon (PST) and I am simply amazed. This is one incredible camera, and the 24-105mm is excellent. I took a few test shots in and around my home and was astonished at the quality even at high ISOs. FF is a whole new world. Tonight I went downtown to see how it handled in the dark. I’m sure I couldn’t have got any of these pics with the 60d. Only 1 of these was taken when there was still some light, although after sundown. The harbour ones were taken between 9-10 pm. I am truly impressed with the being able to shoot at 1/30 to 1/40 of a second (all handheld) and up to ISO 12800 long after sundown. Thanks to all of you I am one happy camper, although of course I have a ton to learn about this camera and have only been at this hobby for a year and a half.

IMG 0185 (Gorge waterway)
1/30 sec at f/4; ISO 100, 40mm

IMG 0196 (Wide view of Victoria Harbour)
1/30 sec at f/4; ISO 250, 35mm

IMG 0266 (Victoria harbour & Legislative Buildings)
1/40 sec at f/4; ISO 12800, 55mm

IMG 0248 (Empress Hotel)
1/40 sec at f/4; ISO 12800, 70mm

Cheers,
Doug

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:36 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »
Well done and congratulations on your purchase. You'll have years of fun and creative sessions with it.
And BTW, nice work with those shots around your home. I want to live where you live!

-PW

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
I dug up this old link from PhotoPrice Canada from the first day launch of the 5D3 - it got me excited back then and still leaves me wondering if this kit is for real at some level.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03869/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-with-24-70-II-Kit-price.html

yeah dunno
i gave up on that a long time ago
i found a new, with warranty from a major dealer 5D3 for under $3200 weeks ago so I just went with that so I could shoot with it all summer long during the nice weather instead of waiting until some now seemingly mythical kit arrives after most of the year is over
if the kit takes into account the now lowered 5D3 price plus a new discount on top that would be pretty good, if not, then it'd be a waste

MarkIII

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
I'd be amazed if the 24-70 II will be sold as a manufacturer kit. I'd also be amazed if buying it as a kit from a reseller like B&H or Adorama would save you more than a hundred bucks or so.

And I have a hard time believing that saving a hundred bucks is really worth the wait for somebody wanting to spend several thousand on a new camera, especially somebody who already has invested thousands in equipment.

The 24-105 is slow, yes, but it's optically excellent, has IS, and has a significantly longer reach than the 24-70. And the 24-70 is only one stop faster, which isn't all that much in the real world.

My advice? Get the 5DIII with the 24-105 kit. If you really need that additional stop, get the Tamron 24-70. The Tamron is better optically than the Canon 24-70 I (which is rightfully a legendary lens), costs half as much as the 24-70 II, and has IS.

Either option gets you the camera in your hands today, which is worth a lot more than a hundred bucks. And, either option will save you a grand over the 24-70 II -- almost enough to get the 35 f/1.4.

Should you regret your decision when the 24-70 II finally hits the streets, no worries. If you went with the 24-105, you'll be able to sell that for at least as much as it cost you to buy it in the kit. If you went with the Tamron, the depreciation will be far less than it would have cost you to rent the lens. Either way, you'll have had the full use of the camera and lens for the period and you'll come out ahead financially.

Cheers,

b&

Be careful with the Tamron lens on the 5dmk3. I thought about using the same lens to try and save money as well, however that was easily brought to a stop when I put it on my camera in the store.  The lens locked up my camera and I had to pull out the battery to reset the error.  The lens was brand new and saw the sales guy unwrap it out of the box. He was surprised and shocked when it happened.  Needless the say the lens is a no go for me now.  I know others have had the issue as well.  It may just be a firmware issue, but right now I can't risk missing any moments at a wedding or shoot because the camera has locked up. 

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
That's the problem with 3rd party lenses.  Canon will not really support it.  Might as well save up and buy a canon.  If your shooting is critical to your job, don't trust your job to 3rd party lenses.  You might regret it.  It's a sad reality.

fotografnuntaiasi

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:33:09 AM »
I don't see any prices in that link. Anyway looks like Canon don't have the same politics applied to all country's.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
+1 on no 24-70 II/5DIII kit.  There is going to be so much demand for that lens there is no way Canon will be compelled to discount it.

Right, it'll be years before there is meaningful discounting on the 24-70II. After a number of disappointing 24-70 Mk1 lenses I bought a 24-105 a couple of years ago to see me through until the new lens ships. Surprise surprise! The 24-105 leaves all four of my 24-70 lenses gasping for respectability. It's a 10/10 keeper. Most people are highly satisfied with the 24-105. Just dig around on this list for positive feedback.

As TrumpetPower suggested, go straight out and pick up a kit 5D3 and 24-105 today. You'll love it. And if in the unlikely event the 24-105 turns out to be unsuitable, you'll barely lose a penny on it if you on-sell. Great lenses like this hold their value.

-PW
Exactly my experience, only I've had five 24-70mm L's.  They have built-in curvature of field issues, and commonly have decentered elements.
My 24-105 outshines all of them.  There is no guarantee that the 24-70mm MK II will be any better, in fact, the production delays may be a indicator that they are having difficulty making them to spec.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
...the production delays may be a indicator that they are having difficulty making them to spec.
I think Neuro bought up all of the first round 24-70 Mk.II's, hence the delay for the rest of the world ;)

DouglasRC

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Well done and congratulations on your purchase. You'll have years of fun and creative sessions with it.
And BTW, nice work with those shots around your home. I want to live where you live!

-PW
Thanks very much. It was a very good decision indeed. I'll need to try the downtown evening shots again, this time using a tripod so I can use smaller apertures. Meanwhile, I've taken a few shots with my 70-200mm f/2.8 MkII and the 100-400mm and all looks well. Victoria is a very nice city even though full of old folks like me.
Cheers,
Doug

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »